Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Maritonic »

Okay, so.

1. Terasawa, Ultramangoji, Space Hunter M, etc are all well within their rights to vocalize a (seemingly) unpopular opinion about Toho's handling of their properties. I personally think, at this point, it's better suited for the Criterion thread, but, point remains.

2. Goji89, Godzilla21, etc are also well within their rights to counter these opinions, given the entire nature of this thread seems to be: vocalize unpopular opinions and then have the TK Hive Mind swoop in and question/challenge said opinions.

If everyone can carry on in a civil manner, all is well. If not, then myself or someone else will be forced to shut it down and/or hand out warnings.

That's where we stand.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: I think people would certainly notice and care if these saw screenshots from the 4K KKvG or any of the recent Matsuri version transfers.
Well no shit the 4K release looks better. But this isn't a 4K set, and Criterion has never even done a 4K release. Pretty sure they wouldn't do a 4K transfer on a bonus movie on an extras disc as their first 4K release.
Terasawa wrote: But anyway, we know you don't really care. We know goji89 sure as hell doesn't either. I understand that a lot of people are probably blissfully unaware of what they're getting (and will be even after watching the films on the set), but what harm is there in informing?
I think goji89s point to you was "Christ we get it. You arent happy with these movies, don't bring all the fighting from the Criterion thread here". And he was kind of right, I think Maritonic has already been in here to tell everyone to cool it due to arguing. When that thread spills over bad things happen. I don't want to speak for him but thats what I think hes trying to say.
Terasawa wrote: And again, if you guys are tired of reading it, just ignore it. There are dozens of posts made here every day, including in threads I follow, that I choose to ignore because they don't appeal to me or because I don't agree with them.

...and if it's such an unpopular opinion, why try to shut it down in this thread?
Trust me I do ignore it. I shut off notifications to the Criterion thread. But if you are going to bring all that complaining over here dont expect people to not roll their eyes thinking "here we go. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel"
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote: I think people would certainly notice and care if these saw screenshots from the 4K KKvG or any of the recent Matsuri version transfers.
Well no shit the 4K release looks better. But this isn't a 4K set, and Criterion has never even done a 4K release. Pretty sure they wouldn't do a 4K transfer on a bonus movie on an extras disc as their first 4K release.
That's not the point. The point is people can see both those screenshots and say, "gee, that's a rather unappealing image. I wonder if there's a better way to see these movies." Or, maybe, "why does the Japanese version look so bad?" (To which point, SHM typed up an explanation. There's no need for fans ignorant of the situation to continue to parrot excuses like, "well the Japanese version hasn't been preserved..." or whatever.)

Anyway, you don't even need the 4K transfer to see that. All you need to do is look at the screencaps from the Japanese version and the U.S. version on the same set.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla21 wrote:Well no shit the 4K release looks better. But this isn't a 4K set, and Criterion has never even done a 4K release. Pretty sure they wouldn't do a 4K transfer on a bonus movie on an extras disc as their first 4K release.
The 4K Restoration is mastered in 4K. Mastered being the keyword.

Criterion released Police Story 1 and 2 mastered from 4K. Toho shows King Kong vs. Godzilla's 4K Resotration on the Japanese Movie Specialty Channel downconverted to 2K and and further down to 1080i.

If Toho wasn't afraid of the Japanese marketing reverse importing (because they've dragged their feet on releasing this thing for over three years), they surely would've let Criterion use it.

Also, those screenshots from my .mkv encode and even the JMSC broadcasts themselves don't do the 4K version 100% justice.

With the exception of the standard Toho brown tint, it is absolutely immaculate. A proper Blu-Ray encode of it would be nice.
Last edited by Space Hunter M on Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The gojira 1955 suit is probably my most disliked suit.

Sure it does have a bit of charm to it but......meh.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

goji89 wrote:The gojira 1955 suit is probably my most disliked suit.

Gigantis would be perfect if it wasnt the precursor to two of the best fucking suits in the history of the series and the successor to the original

It fine tho

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
goji89 wrote:The gojira 1955 suit is probably my most disliked suit.

Gigantis would be perfect if it wasnt the precursor to two of the best skreeonking suits in the history of the series and the successor to the original

It fine tho
Also......that Anguirus damn. I like my 70's Anguirus

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I prefer the 1957 Godzilla, at least what little we can see of it, to the 1955 costume.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

City on the Edge of Battle and The Planet Eater are better movies than every Heisei movie after Godzilla vs Biollante. Even if you don't think the anime films executed their ideas well, at least they had ideas. The last several Heisei movies commit almost every sin the anime movies are accused of committing and they're far worst about it. Miserably paced, poorly written nonsense with forgettable characters. Godzilla vs Destoroyah is in the running for having the worst collection of characters in the series. People are quick to criticism Yuko. But somehow Miki Saegusa is excused despite being less of a character and having a lot more time to develop. And I would strongly disagree with anyone who says the monsters save it. Kawakita's work got tiresome and repetitive very quickly. It's impossible not to notice when the last 40 minutes of every movie is an extended fight scene.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sorry, movies don’t automatically get points for just “having ideas”.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kamilleblu wrote:City on the Edge of Battle and The Planet Eater are better movies than every Heisei movie after Godzilla vs Biollante. Even if you don't think the anime films executed their ideas well, at least they had ideas. The last several Heisei movies commit almost every sin the anime movies are accused of committing and they're far worst about it. Miserably paced, poorly written nonsense with forgettable characters. Godzilla vs Destoroyah is in the running for having the worst collection of characters in the series. People are quick to criticism Yuko. But somehow Miki Saegusa is excused despite being less of a character and having a lot more time to develop. And I would strongly disagree with anyone who says the monsters save it. Kawakita's work got tiresome and repetitive very quickly. It's impossible not to notice when the last 40 minutes of every movie is an extended fight scene.
I think part of the problem is this was the first time we got a porper Godzilla anime movie and it was kind of a letdown, where as with the Heisei films we've dealth with crummy live action movies so it's less of a huge letdown and just another one of the films that didn't pan out. Other problem is execution, both series are disappointing or lackluster in some aspect, but Heisei started off pretty strong before going downhill where as the anime was meh from the word go for a lot of fans.

City on The Edge of Battle is the only one out of anime trilogy I liked. It was risky reducing Mechagodzilla fight with Godzilla into a proxy war but I think they managed to pull it off. Hoping the next time Godzilla gets an anime film or series is much better than the first attempt.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:Sorry, movies don’t automatically get points for just “having ideas”.
Well, I'm pretty sure he was just paraphrasing the line "You should ahve stolen more of Dr. Gruber's ideas! At least then you'd have ideas!" from Re-Animator... (Note: I am not, in fact, remotely sure of this.)

But, yes, I'd say a movie does automatically get points for having ideas. That may not be the only thing that matters, but it's not nothin'.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kamilleblu wrote:City on the Edge of Battle and The Planet Eater are better movies than every Heisei movie after Godzilla vs Biollante. Even if you don't think the anime films executed their ideas well, at least they had ideas. The last several Heisei movies commit almost every sin the anime movies are accused of committing and they're far worst about it. Miserably paced, poorly written nonsense with forgettable characters. Godzilla vs Destoroyah is in the running for having the worst collection of characters in the series. People are quick to criticism Yuko. But somehow Miki Saegusa is excused despite being less of a character and having a lot more time to develop. And I would strongly disagree with anyone who says the monsters save it. Kawakita's work got tiresome and repetitive very quickly. It's impossible not to notice when the last 40 minutes of every movie is an extended fight scene.
I think the Anime Trilogy is alright, and gets too much hate and I agree with your sentiment that they have a lot of cool ideas. I'm currently chugging through the novels and they're way cooler. Living Corpse's sentiment reveals a lot, had it not been an ANIME or sandwhiched between two of the biggest Godzilla films (Shin and KOTM) it would be more appreciated.

But I disagree that the trilogy is better.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I hardcore disagree with this. The Heisei series is deeply flawed, but at least it's enjoyable (well, except Space Godzilla). Space Godzilla aside, I don't think the pacing in the Heisei series is that bad. Certainly much better than the anime trilogy, where every scene lasts forever and the plot chugs along slower than Mothra Larva. And I'll take drawn-out 40 minute kaiju fights over NO kaiju fights any day of the week. The anime trilogy just bores me to tears. I do agree with you on one thing though; the characters in most of the Heisei movies are weak, and I admit that Haruo is probably a better protagonist than anyone from the Heisei series. Personally, I think City on the Edge of Battle is very possibly the worst movie in the Godzilla series. The other two movies are okay, and have a few neat ideas, I just think they're executed poorly.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One of the most underrated Godzilla themes. Skip to around 1:40.

I wish someone did a version without the forced “epic vocals” and allowed the music to be less sanitized and “processed”.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wish someone did a version without the forced “epic vocals” and allowed the music to be less sanitized and “processed”.
If you mean the choir, then you'll be happy to know that a choir-less version of the track was released on CD.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cd/godzilla ... e_bsx.html
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

If there's one thing that G98 did right, it was the soundtrack.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

I watched Godzilla the series for the first time a few days ago, didnt like it that much and would say the anime trilogy was better

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

realinvaderdesign wrote:I watched Godzilla the series for the first time a few days ago, didnt like it that much and would say the anime trilogy was better
Aside from "they are animated", they're two completely different projects trying to be two completely different things and it seems nonsensical to compare them. One's a half-hour Saturday-morning animated series aimed at a younger audience and one's a three-act trilogy of films aimed at adults.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74 is a film where I've realized that watching it with subtitles adds absolutely nothing to the experience for me whatsoever. The subtitles don't detract - this is a film with very simple, infrequent dialog... you're not looking down half the movie, and no meaning is lost at all - but I don't see what value they add when there's a great, classic dub available. The dialog isn't different enough between the dub and a proper translation, and there's just something about hearing a great voice actor say "goodbye, stupid Earth men" or "beat Godzilla to death" or "I'm gonna go back inside and take care of those bastards" that isn't captured when I'm reading it while someone says it in a language I am not fluent in. Again, if you really can't tolerate dubs, this is the perfect film to watch with subtitles because it's not a wordy slog of a movie. I'm also probably biased because I love the dub.
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.