Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favorite Film of the Rebirth of Mothra Series

Rebirth of Mothra
45%
Rebirth of Mothra 2
9%
Mothra 3: Invasion of King Ghidorah
46%

Total votes: 96

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Whats your Favorite Rebirth of Mothra Film?

Post by Terasawa »

It's been forever since I slogged through ROM2 but I'd be tempted to say it's just as "good" as the first film, maybe even better. Yeah, much of the meat of the movie is the kids running around the temple, but I like the attempt at adventure. I think that gives it an identity that the first film just doesn't have. Its environmental message is less muddled than the first film's too. As someone pointed out in G-Fan when the film was new, Desghidorah shouldn't symbolize mankind's reckless destruction of nature. Desghidorah is a natural lifeform from space who just happens to need the energy of Earth's forest to survive. In other words, it's only trying to eat. If anything, that should make DG a tragic monster, not the evil villain it's depicted in the movie. I think that was a huge mistake by the filmmakers.

Another gem from the G-Fan review: Dad is in a wheelchair when Mothra flies off into the sunset at the film's conclusion. Mothra also just restored the forest and there doesn't seem to be a vehicle anywhere around. How the hell are they supposed to get him back home? Not much thought put into any of these movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Mothra 3, no question. Grand King Ghidorah is the best KG design ever, splitting the Elias up allowed for more character development and the time travel sequence is pretty cool.

Let's be serious, these movies are all pretty bad, but ROM3 has the most redeeming qualities. The first ROM has its moments too (especially the Mothra death scene), but I find the first half rather boring. ROM2 is so bad it makes Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla look like a masterpiece. Glad to see, based on the votes, that most people agree with me on that.

Also, I'm happy my vote let ROM3 take the lead over the original.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Can we all agree that the Leo Prop is so fluffy.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:It's been forever since I slogged through ROM2 but I'd be tempted to say it's just as "good" as the first film, maybe even better. Yeah, much of the meat of the movie is the kids running around the temple, but I like the attempt at adventure. I think that gives it an identity that the first film just doesn't have. Its environmental message is less muddled than the first film's too. As someone pointed out in G-Fan when the film was new, Desghidorah shouldn't symbolize mankind's reckless destruction of nature. Desghidorah is a natural lifeform from space who just happens to need the energy of Earth's forest to survive. In other words, it's only trying to eat. If anything, that should make DG a tragic monster, not the evil villain it's depicted in the movie. I think that was a huge mistake by the filmmakers.

Another gem from the G-Fan review: Dad is in a wheelchair when Mothra flies off into the sunset at the film's conclusion. Mothra also just restored the forest and there doesn't seem to be a vehicle anywhere around. How the hell are they supposed to get him back home? Not much thought put into any of these movies.
Agreed on everything here, but I was willing to suspend my seriousness because it’s “a kids movie”, much more overtly then some other things. Even though some of it is lazy and cliche, I actually like how In comparison to a lot of other generic kids movies there’s a sense of real danger to the children and the monsters. All the blood that gushes from Mothra Leo when it’s a larva...

Additionally, it’s a big change of pace that the kids father is the villain/catalyst, rather then some random greedy guy in a suit. There’s also some subtle stuff about him being an alcoholic and some issues with Japanese fathers...

The first half does grow worse when you realize how Belevera, set up as the villain, never actually controls Death Ghidorah or has a substantial impact on the film. Death Ghidorah is also way cooler before he starts flying.

I still maintain that ROM2 is a chore. The film opens up with so many beautiful flowers, and such an awesome tropical vibe, and early on has some interesting moments, like Dagara vs the temple, but it just feels like the fight is one long continuous thing, interspliced with the kids running around. I do like how Dagara is a mistake, and it appears the queen feels remorse. I also do like how Dagara violently is slammed into the pyramid at the end before exploding.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:Can we all agree that the Leo Prop is so fluffy.
Yeah. It’s honestly a shame that Mothra Leo evolves into rainbow Mothra at the end of 2 and never changes back. I think Mothra Leo’s bass design is way more beautiful then subsequent reiterations. For some reason Rainbow Mothra gets a lot more attention...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

I really like the 96 Look for Leo. I love the green wings. Also it's a more Cute Look for Leo.
8-BIT MADNESS

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I tried watching Mothra 2 the other day. WHEEEEW! That was a chore! At least the monster looked cool though. Can someone help me out here, I'm seeing 1000 ways to say it online. Is it Dagahra, Dagarah, Dagarla?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKaiju wrote:I tried watching Mothra 2 the other day. WHEEEEW! That was a chore! At least the monster looked cool though. Can someone help me out here, I'm seeing 1000 ways to say it online. Is it Dagahra, Dagarah, Dagarla?
If you're asking about pronunciation, it's Dagāra.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

eabaker wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:I tried watching Mothra 2 the other day. WHEEEEW! That was a chore! At least the monster looked cool though. Can someone help me out here, I'm seeing 1000 ways to say it online. Is it Dagahra, Dagarah, Dagarla?
Both pronounciation and spelling.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingKaiju wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Both pronounciation and spelling.
For spelling, I believe "Dagahra" is currently Toho's approved transliteration.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Its English name was originally “Dagarla” (duh-GAR-luh) but for whatever reason Toho settled on and trademarked “Dagahra”. However, that was only after ROM 2 was dubbed and released.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:Its English name was originally “Dagarla” (duh-GAR-luh) but for whatever reason Toho settled on and trademarked “Dagahra”. However, that was only after ROM 2 was dubbed and released.
I always found "Dagarla" strange, since it takes one consonant sound and renders it as two alphabetical consonants. I wonder if they were trying to convey the pronunciation of a Japanese "R," which has a tongue placement somewhere between where an American's would go for "R" and where it would go for "L."

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

on the Topic of Rebirth 2. It's my fav film in the Trilogy. I love Aqua Leo his design looks cool. Dagarah looks great. Even though the human scenes suck. I enjoy the temple scenes reminds me of a indiana jones movie.
8-BIT MADNESS

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Belvera ends up being the best character of the trilogy, well okay not much competition. But she transforms from a boring card carrying villain in the first movie to a well intended extremist, saving the characters human and Elias alike, while saying that people start out good as children then go bad as adults. Then in III she's an anti-hero that even she knows King Ghidorah is bad news.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just finished Rebirth of Mothra 3. It’s alright.

On the surface, ROM3 is better then either two. The world feels more lived in as we see more then just a small handful of people in a small isolated area. We get people in offices and buildings running away, and some quick but big destruction. The fights have a lot more melee in them, like when King Ghidorah tatters Mothras wings in the past, and Ghidorah runs before taking off. The film also has a nice variety of monsters.

I just still feel the film lacks the soul of 1, when Mothra Leo and mama Mothra fight against Desghidorah together in a fight they’re ultimately going to lose.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I just still feel the film lacks the soul of 1
You know, I'd never thought of it in those terms, but I totally agree. The first one feels more sincere.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mothra Leo!

Sorry, unrelated, but this is a big form for Butterfree in the upcoming games. Seeing it made me genuinely happy, and I realized I really like Mothra Leo.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

i do love the 1996 Leo Prop. I just love the green wings and how fluffy he looks. He also cute.
8-BIT MADNESS