KOTM: The Positives

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: KOTM: The Positives

Post by _JNavs_ »

The OD, while underutilized, did exactly what it needed to do within the context of the story and gave us an interesting metaphorical parallel in the way that Japan and America look at nukes differently.

America = U.S. Military willingly sends the OD down/ Serizawa gives his notes to Mark and willingly sacrifices himself to save Godzilla by nuking him after seeing the horrors of man.

Japan = Serizawa agrees to use the OD because it's their last shot at stopping Godzilla/ but he wants no-one to ever build one again so he burns all of his notes because he knows what horrors man is capable of.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

While I think the OD could have been handled better, definitely with more build up, I didn’t hate it’s inclusion. To me it served as a way to emphasize just how strong Ghidorah is and by extension just how screwed mankind is against him. Here’s the most deadly weapon our science is capable of producing (and to fans, the deadliest weapon in the history of the franchise), even to the point of bringing Godzilla himself, the most powerful creature on earth to death’s door. It comes at a heavy price, but at least its a surefire solution...except Ghidorah isn’t even phased by it. Yep, we’re screwed.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o btw we have a new weapon called the oxygen destroyer and it’s super deadly good luck bye
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Terasawa wrote:o btw we have a new weapon called the oxygen destroyer and it’s super deadly good luck bye
This is exactly what happened in the movie. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I shit on this film a lot. But I saw the Serizawa scene on someone’s page this morning and was just taken in by it.

I love that whole scene.

Other happy things:
Everything with Rodan (though I want him to get a W against another Titan in the next film)
Godzilla
The world building in the credits
The score (though it’s way too soft in the film for my taste...I would have boosted it up a lot more)

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

The credits were just an amazing way to show what's happening in the MV and how the titans are really coming into play, it's done in quick shots and i like that they're using fake social media posts in addition to newspaper clippings and stuff. I hope the credits for worldbuilding (with redacted easter eggs) trend continues in the Monsterverse, I really love this style! (Also we really need to get a logo and opening for the MV or something like the Marvel opening)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

This movie is nearly perfect. For me it checked almost every box.

In the hearing early in the film, I could have used a dialogue set-up for the Oxygen Destroyer in THAT scene, before using it later....but outside of the most minor of nit-picks I have almost nothing but praise for this film.

It was paced and executed more effectively than the 2014 film on almost every level.

Visuals, score, action, pacing, staging, structure, characters, etc.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Chrispy_G wrote:This movie is nearly perfect. For me it checked almost every box.

In the hearing early in the film, I could have used a dialogue set-up for the Oxygen Destroyer in THAT scene, before using it later....but outside of the most minor of nit-picks I have almost nothing but praise for this film.

It was paced and executed more effectively than the 2014 film on almost every level.

Visuals, score, action, pacing, staging, structure, characters, etc.
I almost agree with you there. The pacing felt very good until the final fight. Don't get me wrong I love the Boston fight (Antarctica battle reigns supreme though) but the whole "If I had the two of you for parents, I'd run away from home too!" sequence really takes me out of the movie for a second. Plus, Rodan and Mothra's fight was barely shown, and I think some of the screentime about finding Maddie, should have been devoted to Rodan and Mothra beating the shit out of each other. But that's just me.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

There are a lot of beautiful scenes in this movie. Honestly, I think KOTM has some of the best CGI work I've ever seen.
Some of my favorite scenes:
- Godzilla's intimidation display.
- King Ghidorah's awakening
- Rodan's battle with the jets
- King Ghidorah framed on the volcano, behind the cross
- Mothra's metamorphosis
- The whole sequence where Serizawa sacrifices himself
- Mothra impaling Rodan with her stinger
- King Ghidorah sky-dropping Godzilla
- Supercharged/Burning Godzilla obliterating King Ghidorah
- All of the Titans bowing to Godzilla
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Naw, pacing on G14 was perfect.
. . .

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Ghidorahs depiction in the movie in general was one of the best parts, I also liked the use of showa roars and the hollow earth idea which i hope they expand upon in sequels

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

the titans
your source of self destruction

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

- Score was fantastic
- GOD TIER visuals
- great kaiju characterization for the big 4. Classic Toho: not too much to make them silly but make them more then just animals.
- Ken Watanabe, Charles Dance and Millie Bobby Brown elevated the characters to become the human cast's jewels.
- I am always down for Bradley Whitford.

RIP Evan.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

It introduced three of The Big Four to the GA. A friend of mine actually wanted me to put her Mothra's movies after watching KoTM.

Added in 15 hours 4 minutes 46 seconds:
Oh, I forgot to mention it: The whole scene with Rodan in Mexico is what I always expected for kaiju destruction in an american adaptation.

And Serizawa's sacrifice was a very powerful moment, even if the message is incredibly wrong ("see, kids? WMDs are good since you can use them to save the planet! Just release them and let the planet heal itself!).
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I personally don’t have a problem with WMDs being used to awaken Godzilla. (I don’t think a nuke to the face is the way to do it though because now he’s basically God level after surviving both that and a fall from the upper atmosphere)

The American Godzilla is more representative of western thoughts on nuclear weapons. A necessary evil. Which is what the hero Godzilla is.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

For as much as I dislike this movie, the one thing it gets right, it gets really right, and that is the music. Re-watching the 98 film I realize not only does the misunderstanding of the character extend even to the music, but that the changing the music to classic soundtracks has a drastic impact on the the audience's perception of (god)zilla. While Godzilla films have varied in quality over the years, the one aspect to remain relatively constant is the music, always using the sounds to both respect the character, and create fear of the character. Bear McCreary's score continues this trend, and even goes beyond what Shin Godzilla does (my personal fav all around movie of the last gen goji films), by reinventing these tunes to further establish this revering and fearful tone towards godzilla. I'd need to look into it further, but I am curious how much of the soundtrack is remixing and how much is original, just to see what the composer is able to do entirely on his own creative grounds as well.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Honestly Ghidorah's theme alone was among my favorite original tracks in the film. It invokes the same feeling his old theme does while itself being completely new and unique, and the buddhist chants+mongolian throat singing nail the creepy/alien aura around his character. Rodan is def close second, gotta love the fast paced bongos lol.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

The soundtrack for the movie is fantastic! Bear McCreary is a great composer in general. If you havent heard his "God of War" or "Child's Play" themes, i strongly recommend listening to them.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I found the action scenes in the movie to be largely too choppily edited and confusingly staged to be very satisfying, with the exception of one brief sequence; Rodan's emergence from the volcano, his destruction of the town, and his fight with the plains. Not only was this the clearest monster scene (in terms of staging and visibility) of the film, but it also really captured that classic Toho Kaiju movie feel better than any other moment in my opinion. Kind of happy it was for Rodan, too. He's one of the greats, but he's been a perennial second banana ever since his original film, so it's nice that he got the stand out scene.
Last edited by Angilasman on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'm one of those that genuinely loves this movie to death on a lot of levels.
-I liked the characters, human and Kaiju
-I liked the pace and structure
-I LOVED the score
-LOVED the visuals, cinematography, and action sequences
-Enjoyed the many many Easter Eggs and references

I mean, things can always be better....but for me, it is easily the best US Godzilla film we've had so far....and so far, each one as been better than the previous entry in a lot of significant ways.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."