Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 am

szmigiel wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I downloaded the movie from YouTube via Freemake. It's a respectable sequel that manages to reprecate the carnage of the first one quite well. And the ending is quite remarkable since it gives mankind more hope for the future. Probably inspired by the Americanized version of the first Godzilla movie.

That being said, 3 things bothered me.

1. Godzilla being called Gigantis. Why didn't they just say that he's another Godzilla like the first movie predicted would happen?

2. How this new Godzilla has Anguruis roars. It just annoys me.

3. The sped up fights.

1 Watch the subtitled version not the dub.
2 Watch the subtitled version not the dub.
3 Well documented, one camera was cranked in the wrong direction, and they really couldn't go back and reshoot.

I take it the one I downloaded was one of the ones before the Classic Media version came along?

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:05 am

Godzilla Raids Again is, overall, kind of a dull sequel that is missing almost everything that Honda brought to the table in the original film. The original Gojira stands on its own, where as this film feels like it fits right in with any other B movie of the time period and kind of lacks much about it that is special.

The weird thing about this movie is that I actually prefer the US edit because it is so much worse.

The Japanese original is a competently made, but unremarkable film. Yes Anguirus is in it, and it started the tradition of having Godzilla fight other monsters, but there is very little else about it that really stands out to me when compared to the original film and most of the films that came after it. Again, it just kind of feels like any other monster movie of the time period, and I still can't get over how much steam the movie loses by having the climactic monster battle in the middle of the film.

The US Edit though is so hilariously bad that at least it makes me laugh. The stock footage they use at various point in the film make my jaw drop. The lengths they go to hide the fact that it is a Godzilla sequel is probably the most baffling decision I've ever seen in a US edit of a foreign film. They gave Godzilla a new name and Anguirus' roar but they also showed a recap of the original film. First of all, why hide that it is a Godzilla sequel when the first movie was a hit in the states? Second, if you are trying to hide that it is a sequel, why do you leave in the scene that ties it the original film? And the dubbing is probably the most giggle inducing dub I have ever heard with nonsense lines like "Banana Oil", narration that never freaking stops, and Kobayashi sounding like Yogi Bear playing a Japanese stereotype. Its all so funny-bad I can't help but get a sick enjoyment out of it.

One fond memory I have was attending a con where I got to meet George Takei. Knowing that he was part of the dub cast for this movie, I asked him to sign my picture with "Banana Oil". He laughed and said "You remember Banana oil? That's great". That made my day!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:43 am

GojiDog wrote:nonsense lines like "Banana Oil"

Using an idiom that is no longer at the height of its popularity does not equal "nonsense."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:48 am

eabaker wrote:

Using an idiom that is no longer at the height of its popularity does not equal "nonsense."

Fair enough.

Does "archaic terminology" work better?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:51 am

GojiDog wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Fair enough.

Does "archaic terminology" work better?

Now you're a right gee hitting on all eight!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:15 am

GojiDog wrote:The US Edit though is so hilariously bad that at least it makes me laugh. The stock footage they use at various point in the film make my jaw drop.

Funny you mention the stock footage. I remember seeing stock footage of the 3 Ceratosaurs from Unknown Island in the movie.

Omegazilla
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Omegazilla » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Underrated film. It isn't the best movie in the series and is far from perfect but it delivers in being entertaining and shouldn't be as overlooked as it is. It is nice to see a darker and more serious Showa movie as those become less and less prominent as the series went on. Nice to see Anguirus' debut alongside the first kaiju fight featuring Godzilla. This is of course only talking about the original Japanese version. The English dub is absolutely terrible unless you really enjoy the corny dubs.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Omegazilla wrote:Underrated film. It isn't the best movie in the series and is far from perfect but it delivers in being entertaining and shouldn't be as overlooked as it is. It is nice to see a darker and more serious Showa movie as those become less and less prominent as the series went on. Nice to see Anguirus' debut alongside the first kaiju fight featuring Godzilla. This is of course only talking about the original Japanese version. The English dub is absolutely terrible unless you really enjoy the corny dubs.
I may be wrong here (and if I am, please tell me), but wasn't the same narrator's voice used earlier in the American version of Rodan?

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Yes, Keye Luke was the narrator/lead character in both Rodan and Gigantis. It was largely the same voice talent in both films.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Terasawa wrote:Yes, Keye Luke was the narrator/lead character in both Rodan and Gigantis. It was largely the same voice talent in both films.
Thanks! Then I was right after all.

It's a shame, I think, that the U.S. version of Rodan is so well regarded, while Godzilla Raids Again practically got the short end of the stick in its U.S. version.

I saw the Gigantis the Fire Monster version on VHS back in the day. The monster scenes were good, with the fight scenes looking like a kaiju version of a dogfight (except for the fact that they were also sped-up too fast; I'm glad that they never did that again (I chalk it up to being a fluke - a one-time only accident)) and one statement that I read in an article in G-Fan somewhere (I think) basically called this version a perfect example of how NOT to dub a foreign film!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:08 am

Thinking about it, there’s a possibility I dislike this film because I seldom watch it separately from 1954, and always watch it a day or two after. It obviously can’t compare...
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:43 am

It really can't compare. One of the most standout moments to me on that last rewatch was the recap with the '54 footage, where I was kind of staggered by how great that rampage looked, the fantastic cinematography, compared to GRA itself. I don't think I'd ever fully appreciated the quality of Gojira's visuals until then...

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 am

JAGzilla wrote:It really can't compare. One of the most standout moments to me on that last rewatch was the recap with the '54 footage, where I was kind of staggered by how great that rampage looked, the fantastic cinematography, compared to GRA itself. I don't think I'd ever fully appreciated the quality of Gojira's visuals until then...

Yeah. I think the film following it also doesn’t help. Don’t get me wrong, King Kong Vs. Godzilla isn’t as good as 54, but it’s just so novel, and the Japanese version is really good. The fight between Kong and Godzilla is more varied and interesting. And of course, Mothra vs Godzilla/GTTHM follow. I think GRA is surrounded by greats.

One thing that I do think is a minor stand out, is I always recall some of the miniatures that are destroyed by Angurius and Godzilla being quite well done. You get a good sense of chaos. Same thing for Angurius vs Godzilla on the island and when they’re on screen. However, I don’t think the chaos between the two monsters saves the film from the copious amount of filler, poor structure and completely dull characters...

Make fun of Godzilla Final Wars, Godzilla’s Revenge etc...but GRA is the only Godzilla film that flat out bores me.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 pm

I feel the first half is engaging, but once Godzilla kills Anguirus, it does slow the film down.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”