Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Do you think Rotten Tomatoes was right into giving KOTM a bad score?

Post by Terasawa »

In his 2010 comedy special "Seriously Funny," Hart told audiences his biggest fear was his son coming out as gay. Hart said that "as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.” He addressed the joke in 2015 Rolling Stone interview, where he did not apologize and said that he wouldn't make the same joke again because the times weren't as "sensitive."
In his Instagram post announcing he would step down from the Oscars, he said he’d “matured.” A man who doesn’t apologize for insensitive comments (hardly a “joke” when the punchline is apparently “my son won’t be gay”) doesn’t sound too mature to me.

He also tweeted such jokes with language as “a gay bill board for AIDS” and calling someone a “FAT Stick.”

Yeah, he got the screwed over. :roll:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Hart stepped down on his own accord.
I don't want to have this argument here but let's not act like he wasn't strong-armed into it, the Academy basically told him to apologize for retroactive thought crime or step down
Terasawa wrote:What Hollywood talent was blacklisted that didn’t deserve it?
HUAC did nothing wrong
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

G2000 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:What Hollywood talent was blacklisted that didn’t deserve it?
HUAC did nothing wrong
Come on, dude. You know JNavs’ context was about “social justice warriors” in recent years, not Republicans in Congress cracking down on “commie” Hollywood talent in the ‘40s and ‘50s.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G2000 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Hart stepped down on his own accord.
I don't want to have this argument here but let's not act like he wasn't strong-armed into it, the Academy basically told him to apologize for retroactive thought crime or step down
The Academy (through Ellen DeGeneres apparently) told him it was up to him and that he could've continued being the host if he wanted to.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: It is, because it was that group who began the accusations.
Hart was given the choice to return to hosting if he so desired. He's also starring in a few upcoming movies so...he's clearly not blacklisted.

I'm not even sure you know what the term "blacklisted" even means, to be honest.
_JNavs_ wrote: And what? Pot meet Kettle? I'm not the one constantly mad at every new comment on the forum for no reason :lol:.
You called victims of a mass shooting "selfish" for choosing not to show a new movie that would incite a copycat incident and threw a shitfit in the MCU thread over Spider-Man returning to the franchise. You have no room to say that people are always finding something new to be mad about.
Was the blacklisted comment necessary? Just seems like more of the typical chip-on-shoulder vibe. I didn't call the victims anything, don't twist words. I said I found it selfish that families wanted Aurora as a whole city not to air the film, I was later corrected that it was only the one theater, in which I accepted that I was incorrect.

I made one post stating my thoughts on what the future holds for Marvel films in general. With no spite in my words, because I don't take forums seriously enough to want to utter venom in my words. Mind you both of these events happened in the past 3 days, so yes sir, as far as "mad at" goes, I tend not to fall into the always cranky about life itself category.

Anyway back on topic since that's seeming to be difficult for some of us, Rotten Tomatoes has nothing to do with KOTMs score, that would fall under the "Verified" Critics role.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

UltramanGoji wrote:choosing not to show a new movie that would incite a copycat incident
Nice to hear that you know the future, that the film will for a FACT incite a copycat incident.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can I also ask...legitimately...if anyone actually even reads the little blurbs written by critics on Rotten Tomatoes? Sure some are bad, but the majority give real reasons why they didn’t like the film.

Also, I find it hilarious how people that really like KOTM so much, are in such denial that the film doesn’t have any flaws, that they have to come up with reasons, bordering on conspiracy theories, as to why it wasn’t loved or worshipped by everyone. The amount of mental gymnastics so many of you are doing on so many fronts...

Like, the RT people are clearly just haters, the users on this site are clearly just all wrong, the box office not being massively successful is because of Disney...etc...

Also in regards to this whole Social Justice movie thing, while I agree a lot of movies are sanitized and committee built, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood completely laughs in your face. I also don’t see KOTM as any different then any of the MCU films, in terms of being sanitary mass appealing things...except it wasn’t executed well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I've heard the words "perfect" and "masterpiece" thrown around, in regards to this film. Anytime I see that, I laugh.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

I try to ignore review sites like RT or IMBD and tend to watch movies blind , really i think these sites are poisonous and make people form opinions before they see the movies. eg marvel movies like avengers end game and the two tom holland spiderman movies, RT gave them almost perfect scores while in my opinion they were very underwhelming.

That being said, RT can say what they want about kotm, its not going to sway my opinion of the movie and really thats all that matters, If a movie is bad or good then really thats up to the viewer not other people.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Can I also ask...legitimately...if anyone actually even reads the little blurbs written by critics on Rotten Tomatoes? Sure some are bad, but the majority give real reasons why they didn’t like the film.
Nah, you're just meant to take the ones that contain snide remarks or seemingly contradictory complaints and apply them to every single review.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

My favorite denial is:

“Critics don’t like these movies!”

The previous Monsterverse films did pretty well, critically. So did Shin Godzilla, although that was obviously a much smaller release.

Critics just didn’t like this movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Terasawa wrote:My favorite denial is:

“Critics don’t like these movies!”

The previous Monsterverse films did pretty well, critically. So did Shin Godzilla, although that was obviously a much smaller release.

Critics just didn’t like this movie.
CrItiCs HaTE GOdzIlLA mOvIES!!!!!!!!!!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I'm just going to say this.

Do I think that this movie deserved a lower score then Godzilla 2014? Yes, mainly because of how bad the human villains were written.

Do I think it deserved to get a score as low as it did? No, but I can see why it did for the reason I mentioned.

It deserved a 60% or so.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Did KOTM deserve like an 80 or 90% on RT? Definitely not. Did it get worse reviews than it deserved? Yes. Critics have weird preferences for movies sometimes. I thought Ant-Man and the Wasp was completely forgettable and one of the worst MCU movies; critics on RT scored it at 88% and wouldn't shut up about what a "breath of fresh air" it was. Indie horror movies always get rated way better than I think they deserve. On the flip side, many action movies get too much hate. Critics seem to pan any action-driven movie that isn't Marvel, John Wick or Mission Impossible. So an action movie that also happens to be a giant monster movie based on a Japanese franchise isn't going to be looked on too favorably. Godzilla 2014 got good reviews because it was made by a critic-lauded indie director and stuck to the style of American monster movies. KOTM was a more traditional monster action movie that didn't "subvert expectations" and that's what critics have a hard-on for, as proven by glowing reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi, despite negative reviews from audiences. Godzilla 2014 DID subvert expectations by showing restraint instead of blowing the CGI budget on lengthy kaiju showdowns and critics liked that, even though it disappointed many fans.

TLDR: KOTM deserved better than 40%, but it's unsurprising it didn't get it because it's not the kind of movie that critics are going to like.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

KingKaiju wrote:More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Also, The Last Jedi > A New Hope 2.0 but... ya know... Women and people of color!!! What a damn agenda! Goddamn SJW libtards!!
Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, fuck it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:More likely because it was poorly written and paced, with boring and forgettible characters. Also, the 40% score doesn't reflect the individual critic scores...

Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, fuck it...

Who said anything about women or people of color? Assuming only the alt-right hates The Last Jedi is moronic. I was attending a very liberal college when that piece of garbage came out and I went to see it with a large group of friends which included women and people of color. We all hated it. The movie sucks because of its blatant disrespect for the Star Wars mythology. In fact, the only movie I've seen with more disregard for its source material is Tristar's Godzilla. Also, it was poorly written, tediously paced and full of boring and forgettable characters; the same reasons you gave for why KOTM is a bad movie. I don't like The Force Awakens either but I'd rather have a derivative movie than one which sabotages character arcs and plot threads for the sake of sUbVeRtInG eXpEcTaTiOnS.
Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out shit that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same shit over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKaiju wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:

Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out poop that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same poop over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.
The Disney films don't hold a candle to ROTS. Say what you want about episode 1 and II abut episode III is great.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

miguelnuva wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Wow, are we really arguing Star Wars on Toho Kingdom? Okay, skreeonk it...

Oh, by no means am I sitting here saying that ANY of these new Star Wars movies are anything special. People came out raving about the Force Awakens, and I'm still trying to see why that movie is as good as they say, other than being a major step up to any of those three pieces of trash that Lucas made. But no, I'm just pointing out poop that people bitched and moaned about with The Last Jedi. As for the film itself, I'll take a film like that that introduces new angles and moves the story along, rather than just rehashing the same poop over and over again. I'm just annoyed of angry white boys crying every time we get something different on screen, which they did in with this movie.
The Disney films don't hold a candle to ROTS. Say what you want about episode 1 and II abut episode III is great.
Episode 3 was only good in comparison to the other prequels. It still sucks. But hey, at least it produced some funny memes.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Chrispy_G wrote:What weird SJW agenda did KOTM try to push? Heck, film critics and bloggers probably winced at the "toxic masculinity" implied by the title "King of the Monsters"

Vera Farmiga was portrayed as a complex villain and wasn't the savior of humanity

Kyle Chandler, a straight white male(film critic equivalent of Satan incarnate) was portrayed in a general positive and heroic light.

It is all about bending the knee to cringey SJW politics.
Funny you say that. Last I checked, Trump supporters thought KOTM was leftist propaganda.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple