Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Postby mikelcho » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 pm

I just remembered that Godzilla vs. Hedorah wasn't the only anti-pollution kaiju film in 1971.

So was Daiei's Gamera vs. Zigra. and it preceded this film to the movie screens by two months. The similarities end there.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just remembered that Godzilla vs. Hedorah wasn't the only anti-pollution kaiju film in 1971.

So was Daiei's Gamera vs. Zigra. and it preceded this film to the movie screens by two months. The similarities end there.

I don't recall it being as integral in the story but that doesn't surprise me.

1960's-to 70's were a horrible time for pollution in Japan.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 am

Zone Fighter incorporates this prominently in its Ghidorah two-parter as well; a device to clean up the air pollution and end Yokohoma Asthma is the focus that the heroes are trying to protect (even willing to sacrifice their life for it) and the evil aliens are trying to destroy.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:18 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just remembered that Godzilla vs. Hedorah wasn't the only anti-pollution kaiju film in 1971.

So was Daiei's Gamera vs. Zigra. and it preceded this film to the movie screens by a few months. The similarities end there.

I don't recall it being as integral in the story but that doesn't surprise me.

1960's-to 70's were a horrible time for pollution in Japan.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:31 pm

No mention of Spectreman? Pollution is essentially the theme of the show!
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Xenofauna
Ronin

Postby Xenofauna » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Inspired by this week's climate strikes as well as based on a poster I made for the climate strike I attended last Friday at the Georgia State Capitol.
Last edited by Xenofauna on Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:34 pm

Xenofauna wrote:Image

Inspired by this week's climate strikes as well as based on a poster I made for the climate strike I attended last Friday at the Georgia State Capitol.

You made this? I dig it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Xenofauna
Ronin

Postby Xenofauna » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:32 am

Thanks! I'm going to be selling prints since I've gotten a lot of requests for that.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:43 am

Very nice!
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:44 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:No mention of Spectreman? Pollution is essentially the theme of the show!

Didn't even think of this one, thanks.

When did this show premiere? Was it in 1971, too, or was it some other time? How long did it last and how many episodes were made? And did Toho release it, or was it another studio that did it?

Xenofauna
Ronin

Postby Xenofauna » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:35 am

It wasn't just a Japan thing. The Lorax was not coincidentally published the very same year.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

Pollution is also referenced by the aliens in Godzilla vs. Gigan and Terror of Mechagodzilla. In the former, particularly, the aliens mention having left their planet after its dominant species ruined the ecosystem through mass pollution and eventually some sort of nuclear power.

Kinda like what we’re doing with our planet. (:
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Xenofauna
Ronin

Postby Xenofauna » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Don't forget the very intentional setting of Godzilla's Revenge, where Honda was visually criticizing the kinds of environments we were forcing our children to grow up in.

Anyway, it's almost as though we only fixed anything on a superficial level instead of addressing any real systemic issues and that capitalism run amok will be the death of us all! :D

I pissed off a bunch of people on the Facebook Godzilla groups with my poster because they're the sorts who demand their kaiju to be free of any politics, ignorant of the fact that A. Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster has always been wildly political and not just a simple fable about not littering and B. just because things look a little cleaner than the industrial hellscapes of the 70s doesn't mean Banno's film is any less relevant today.

ALTHOUGH, the best kaiju film about the climate crisis is Gamera 3.
Last edited by Xenofauna on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 am

Godzilla films have been used to send several messages about society. While G vs H is strongarm with its message, others have done it in a subtle way.
It's impossible to separate film and politics or film and society as people will always use film as a platform for messages.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

LockBite
Interpol Agent

Postby LockBite » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 pm

I used to have a pretty low opinion of this one, but upon rewatching it, I learned how special it really was.

The main issue I had was the pacing of the kaiju scenes. There are moments that drag on and ON, like when Godzilla shoots at sludge in the ocean. But now I see an almost Lynchian quality in them, coupled with outstanding atmosphere that really permeates the whole film. While the music maintains a distinctly campy tone, it works against the visuals. It’s grungy. It’s nasty. And yet it can be colorful, psychedelic even. I’m not saying the film is perfect; it does have issues. But perhaps it’s underrated.

I will say, there’s something cool about being able to show Godzilla vs Hedorah to the uninitiated. Just revealing to others the fact that such a bizarre film exists. Stepping back, this actually seems like one of those outlandish scrapped concepts. Godzilla was going to fight a ghost version of himself. Godzilla was going to fight Batman. Godzilla was going to fight a living blob of sludge against a backdrop of depressing visuals and goofy music. Except it actually happened! We actually got this one. Even if you don’t really care for the movie, think of how special that is.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”