J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: I'm still betting that Toho's gonna make another movie franchise anyway,they have to be crazy if they don't.
I think you missed the joke I was making.

"World of Godzilla" isn't a new film series. It's a global marketing initiative by Toho to expand the brand into more territories around the world.
Oh sorry,sarcasm doesn't catch on quite as fast when i'm on the web.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: J.J. Abrams signed a MASSIVE partnership deal with Warner Brothers. Could we see Cloverfield in the Monster Verse?

Post by miguelnuva »

tyrantgoji wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
If Cloverfield does find it's way into the MV,and it's utter crap induced story bleeds into it and the Godzilla and Kong films,i honestly might be done with the MonsterVerse and put full focus on the World of Godzilla.
You'll stop paying attention to a movie franchise and put all your focus on a worldwide marketing project? Doesn't seem like a 1:1 transition.
I'm still betting that Toho's gonna make another movie franchise anyway,they have to be crazy if they don't.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:There's nothing utterly crap about the Cloverfield story though lol.

Outside of Paradox that is.
Disagree. 10 BOREFIELD Lane honestly drove me out of the series and Paradox was the nail in the coffin.
To each his own but I don't see how Lane bored you unless you were expecting a direct sequel.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
You'll stop paying attention to a movie franchise and put all your focus on a worldwide marketing project? Doesn't seem like a 1:1 transition.
I'm still betting that Toho's gonna make another movie franchise anyway,they have to be crazy if they don't.

_JNavs_ wrote:There's nothing utterly crap about the Cloverfield story though lol.

Outside of Paradox that is.
Disagree. 10 BOREFIELD Lane honestly drove me out of the series and Paradox was the nail in the coffin.
To each his own but I don't see how Lane bored you unless you were expecting a direct sequel.
I was,but when i found out it had little connection i did kinda role with it...but oh my god the story goes SOOOOO SLOW!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

I was,but when i found out it had little connection i did kinda role with it...but oh my god the story goes SOOOOO SLOW!
That slow claustrophobic burn followed by the brutal death of a major character (there's only 3 (almost 4) characters in the entire film surprisingly) was iconic in my book, it felt so unique. Especially since I had no idea if they'd go the direct sequel route or not, (would've preferred a direct sequel but),
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

keizerkaiju
Monarch Researcher

Post by keizerkaiju »

_JNavs_ wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
That slow claustrophobic burn followed by the brutal death of a major character (there's only 3 (almost 4) characters in the entire film surprisingly) was iconic in my book, it felt so unique. Especially since I had no idea if they'd go the direct sequel route or not, (would've preferred a direct sequel but),
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the movie would've been better as its own thing - the way it was before Abrams tacked on the Cloverfield name and added some lame aliens and a molotov cocktail. It's such a tonal whiplash my neck almost broke.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

A few thoughts around this:

- I would speculate that Paramount has some sway over movies they are associated with from Bad Robot/Abrams, meaning they may have the first say-so or something like that with a property like Cloverfield.

- Even so, Paramount may be willing to do some type of co-production/distribution with another major studio.

- Despite Godzilla being inspirational for the Cloverfield movie and monster, I don't know if Abrams necessarily would want a direct crossover between them. Maybe yes, but maybe no.

- If some type of crossover does happen, they could put the Cloverfield monster and Godzilla in some different Clover continuity. They wouldn't be left with only the 2008 Cloverfield universe or the MonsterVerse.

- A crossover would be interesting, I believe that. For what it's worth Cloverfield as a brand does have equity and could draw in people who may not go to a MonsterVerse movie automatically. They'd have to weigh the value of that.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That new Underwater film looks like something straight out of Cloverfield, it's even shot and advertised similarly. Just saw a trailer for it.

Could that be a surprise Clovie film? Or is it a different studio?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

_JNavs_ wrote:That new Underwater film looks like something straight out of Cloverfield, it's even shot and advertised similarly. Just saw a trailer for it.

I'mma be patient with you because it sounds like you're just learning about it, but it's a different studio. So, no, not a Cloverfield movie.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NSZ wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:That new Underwater film looks like something straight out of Cloverfield, it's even shot and advertised similarly. Just saw a trailer for it.

I'mma be patient with you because it sounds like you're just learning about it, but it's a different studio. So, no, not a Cloverfield movie.
Uh okay lol?

But yeah i had no idea what it was, just seemed to fit with the general Clover aesthetic.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

_JNavs_ wrote:
NSZ wrote:

Uh okay lol?
The Cloverfield fanbase is... aggressively eccentric, to put it politely. Paradox absolutely fried the brains of some of 'em.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"