Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat May 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Save the Earth is one of the all time catchiest songs 8-)
And it’s not ham fisted, because it fits in with all the protest and environemenral music from that era.

It’s difficult finding many images, but each of them is pretty bad. I don’t see how you can have an unsubtle version of Godzilla vs Hedorah, when what was actually going on.

Gonna put this in spoiler tags because there’s a slight side nipple, but I think this poster from roughly the same time illustrates my point well.

Spoiler:

And clearly there’s also a heavy influence from Yellow Submarine.
Godzilla vs Hedorah is a product of its era, and a damn good one at that. It’s easy in 2019 to look back on it
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat May 25, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sun May 26, 2019 3:36 am

I don't think fitting in with the style of the time and being ham-fisted are mutually exclusive. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:This is where you lost me. What do you mean the fish head sequence is a non sequitir? It’s very obvious and important symbolism that humans will soon become the fish, that have been destroyed by pollution in the ocean if this trend of pollution keeps going. The scenes prior to this were all about the ocean and fish quickly dying off. It also serves a period piece, showing the music scene during the time period, and ties into a cautionary/tragic tale about youth who clearly care about the environment but are powerless due to rampant drug use and apathetic adults. While not a focus in the film, the almost suicidal and nihilistic behavior portrayed by the uncle heavily parallels a lot of the sentiments of Americans at the time protesting the Vietnam war.

Like others have said: this wasn't very obvious. Intentional? Maybe. But it didn't work for me. I didn't think the film effectively conveyed this viewpoint well enough with what it offered.

I think, whether or not the movie conveys in intellectual terms exactly what the meaning of the fish head scene in, it works tonally and thematically well enough to have its intended emotional impact on viewers who are engaged with the film's rhythms and techniques.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:16 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Save the Earth is one of the all time catchiest songs 8-)
And it’s not ham fisted, because it fits in with all the protest and environemenral music from that era.

I said it could be seen as ham fisted by others(like at first glance), but I don't think it is. Thanks for sharing all those posters by the way, and yeah looks like everything matches with what is seen in the film. What do you think about the ghost people? Are they supposed to represent the older generations looking down on the youth movement?

I rewatched it, and I enjoyed it. I thought it was weird that no one reacts to the uncle being killed by Hedorah, and I noticed that Godzilla unintentionally causes the death of people in two different scenes while combating Hedorah. Those guys in that warehouse got sludged on when Godzilla was throwing Hedorah around, and in the final battle Godzilla jumps on Hedorah which knocks them both onto a JSDF truck. Interesting since this is the one where "Godzilla becomes a full on superhero", but he's a giant monster so ya know; people being harmed in the fights did bring it down to Earth though.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Save the Earth is one of the all time catchiest songs 8-)

I said it could be seen as ham fisted by others(like at first glance), but I don't think it is. Thanks for sharing all those posters by the way, and yeah looks like everything matches with what is seen in the film. What do you think about the ghost people? Are they supposed to represent the older generations looking down on the youth movement?

I rewatched it, and I enjoyed it. I thought it was weird that no one reacts to the uncle being killed by Hedorah, and I noticed that Godzilla unintentionally causes the death of people in two different scenes while combating Hedorah. Those guys in that warehouse got sludged on when Godzilla was throwing Hedorah around, and in the final battle Godzilla jumps on Hedorah which knocks them both onto a JSDF truck. Interesting since this is the one where "Godzilla becomes a full on superhero", but he's a giant monster so ya know; people being harmed in the fights did bring it down to Earth though.

Yeah the uncle being killed by Hedorah always did bother me.

One of the big issues with the Showa series is how a lot of people retcon completely Godzilla as a superhero. While its clear that he`s no longer akin to the early showa era, there are moments where people, mainly adults, clearly are scared of him.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm

And then you have instances in film where children show no fear or idolize Godzilla. The boy in G vs H and AMA for example.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Thu May 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I really think the whole "Godzilla becomes a superhero" scenario is sometimes blown out of proportion because at first he helps fight Ghidorah out of a suggestion from Mothra, destroy Japan as he is controlled by aliens, just wanted to pick a fight with Ebirah, was a jerk to Minya through most of Son of Godzilla, again controlled by aliens, it's a dream so Godzilla's Revenge don't count (no sarcastic responses please), wanted to kill Hedorah becauses probably he was cutting into his territory, the funny sounds aggravated me, Jet Jaguar controlled him to what to do, again MechaGodzilla was cutting into his territory and the same goes with the sequel with Titansaurus added to the mess that angered Godzilla. Or I could be wrong since I know the film industry was struggling at this point and television was dominating and so Toho notices how well the Gamera films were doing at the box office and so out of desperation to score big at the box office, they put Gamera's traits into Godzilla, but that's just an observation point of view so you can debate about it if you want.
Last edited by Freebleeper on Thu May 30, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 am

That is a fair point- although, both vs. Gigan and Zone Fighter do refer to Godzilla as 'a monster of justice'; in the latter, they specifically ask Godzilla for help and he comes to aid them, and later has friendly sparring sessions with Zone... in each case, coming when requested to render help at no benefit to himself. (And not nearly any time a kaiju shows up, either, so it doesn't seem territorial). So I do think that by the 70s, they were strongly trying to suggest that he had the intelligence and personality, rather than animal instincts, to be a hero; in some ways, I think Son of Godzilla is somewhat of a 'hero's journey' of fatherhood, too- a reluctant parent eventually coming to embrace his role, and seemingly the start of giving him more intelligent and benevolent motivations. Even if there was a self-interest angle to a number of the previous stories, that one feels like the turning point where they started portraying Godzilla of more doing things through an intelligent agency rooted in heroic sentience, which then continued through onward... although, yes, it's entirely possible to read that as people projecting onto him in everything but vs. Gigan, Megalon (where individual actions protecting JJ seem to point to more of an intentional heroic bent), and Zone Fighter, potentially.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Toho’s need for retconning never ceases.

Showa Hedorah is now female I guess?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Social media interns in 2019 have no input on a film released nearly fifty years ago.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Social media interns in 2019 have no input on a film released nearly fifty years ago.

I mean, I think that goes without saying :lol:
Long Live The Sting

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Stump Feet wrote:Toho’s need for retconning never ceases.

Showa Hedorah is now female I guess?

WAT :shock:

seriously why does Toho make all these pointless changes? this is as bad as there being two Ghidorah's!

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:25 pm

It's nothing to worry about, Toho-tied products have been doing this for the last few years.

Like UltramanGoji said, all this new information made up on the spot doesn't affect 50 year old movies.

The way I see things, unless it's explicitly stated in the films, it's not valid whatsoever.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Anyway... it's a pile of sludge. If it could even have a gender, would it matter?

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm

When I was younger and for a really long time I was so sure those were eggs Godzilla had pulled out of Hedorah. I figured they'd grow and it'd be easier for them to reach Hedorah's fourth form: the one that towered over Godzilla. Then someone on tvtropes years ago was like 'he was pulling out Hedorah's eyes.'

Well y'know if they were eggs then that was Toho having to one up Daiei. After all a year ago in Gamera vs. Jiger we saw two kids basically abort a monster so Toho had to do it too.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Social media interns in 2019 have no input on a film released nearly fifty years ago.

This hardcore.

I made a post about it a while ago, but for the most part most retcons and weird poop like this is completely pointless. The only passable cases, are with Ebirah, whose given origin (mutated by the radiation on Letchi) has no effect on the story whatsoever, and ties into what is already implied. The only thing that this may be done to do, is make up an excuse of why the Final Wars Hedorah, is completely weak in comparison to the Showa version, and isn't a big deal. It's similar to the two ghidorahs debate.

Hedorah is a conglomerate of organisms, and thus should not really have a gender.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I rewatched it, and I enjoyed it. I thought it was weird that no one reacts to the uncle being killed by Hedorah, and I noticed that Godzilla unintentionally causes the death of people in two different scenes while combating Hedorah. Those guys in that warehouse got sludged on when Godzilla was throwing Hedorah around, and in the final battle Godzilla jumps on Hedorah which knocks them both onto a JSDF truck. Interesting since this is the one where "Godzilla becomes a full on superhero", but he's a giant monster so ya know; people being harmed in the fights did bring it down to Earth though.

Yeah, the uncle kind of just dying unceremoniously definitely adds to this very cold aspect of the film, which actually makes it quite memorable.

Regarding Godzilla as a "superhero", I think the Showa series has always had something of a loose continuity through out. There are some where they push his hero role a little further. In this one, he feels more like a reluctant defender.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Also, the 70s was an era when super heroes were popular with Japan. Even Toho jumped on the trend with their series Zone Fighter. Showing Godzilla as a hero was good marketing at a time when the movie industry there wasn't as profitable.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Fun fact, I’m currently in Sugura Bay, the place Hedorah first attack’s and is discovered in. I ate probably the freshest sea food I’ve ever eaten. Anyways, being here gives me a lot more context for the film, and as I live near Mt. Fuji it’s really easy to map out where the film takes place and the progression of hedorah and Godzilla inland.

Anyways, the place is famous for fish and seafood, and it’s historucally a very important port in japan.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Riichiro Manabe’s score for this film is probably the most underappreciated in the entire Godzilla series.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”