Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Revenge has so much charm and heart, I can not hate it, no matter how hard I try.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

realinvaderdesign wrote:godzilla's revenge is the only godzilla movie i havent watched, ive had it for while and i am aware of its reputation.
Even as someone who really doesn't enjoy Revenge, I'd still recommend watching it. Don't let it's reputation discourage you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

JAGzilla wrote:
realinvaderdesign wrote:godzilla's revenge is the only godzilla movie i havent watched, ive had it for while and i am aware of its reputation.
Ah, but are you aware that it actually has several fans? I'd argue that, while the stock footage is a little excessive, it's actually a very enjoyable and unique entry in the franchise. Give it a shot, you might be glad you did.
Yeah most of the complaints i have heard have been the stock footage and minyas dopey english dub , but to say the least its not really because of its reputation that i havent seen it (i do enjoy the late showa godzilla movies like smog monster and megalon) its more due to not having time to watch it

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Oh, come on, make time. It's a little over an hour long. :P
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I think it's a mistake to view Godzilla's Revenge as a movie that incorporates stock footage. Watched instead as an experiment in constructing a movie around stock footage, it definitely works better.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:I think it's a mistake to view Godzilla's Revenge as a movie that incorporates stock footage. Watched instead as an experiment in constructing a movie around stock footage, it definitely works better.
There’s also a big argument to be made that versus something like Godzilla vs. Gigan, and Godzilla can. megaton, due to Ichiro being a Godzilla fan, and the events taking place in a dream, that the usage of stock footage actually aids the story telling. The film is about a young Godzilla fan, who just dreams and wishes he was there.

I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you can watch the Japanese cut, and sit down, it’s not a horrendous time.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

JAGzilla wrote:Oh, come on, make time. It's a little over an hour long. :P
Alright, ya got me. Finally decided to watch it, aaaaannnndd its not that bad, its a charming movie for what it is, its not really a godzilla story but still enjoyable

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

realinvaderdesign wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Oh, come on, make time. It's a little over an hour long. :P
Alright, ya got me. Finally decided to watch it, aaaaannnndd its not that bad, its a charming movie for what it is, its not really a godzilla story but still enjoyable
Yeah, the film feels less like a Godzilla movie and more like a character study of a young boy, who is bullied.

My main issue with the film currently, is that other than some actual danger, I don’t see how the robbers connect with the Kaiju scene, or the bully scenes.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Just watched Rampage today and had an absolute blast. I can see why it earned more than KOTM did even with KOTM's poop marketing and terrible timing. It's dumb and predictable, but still a fun monster mash throughout it all. I say the Rock's character did a little too well fighting giant monsters and surviving impossible situations without a scratch, (he's practically the one doing most of the fighting in the last bit (with George taking a backseat from what I saw) but other than that it did it's job for a fun monster flick. Had some good bits of humor in there like "Justice League" and that cowardly villain dude getting squashed right after fleeing too. It's nice to see that decent non MV monster movies pop up from time to time between the superhero and Disney drivel.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Rampage is dumb, but knows it’s dumb, and is self aware. The Rock and everyone in the film, know that as well, and at the same time there is some genuine emotion with George. It’s not trying to pretend to have some big epic meaning...and you don’t see hours of self masturbatory documentaries and commentators talking about how great monsters and their films are...

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Rampage is dumb, but knows it’s dumb, and is self aware. The Rock and everyone in the film, know that as well, and at the same time there is some genuine emotion with George. It’s not trying to pretend to have some big epic meaning...and you don’t see hours of self masturbatory documentaries and commentators talking about how great monsters and their films are...
Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Rampage is dumb, but knows it’s dumb, and is self aware. The Rock and everyone in the film, know that as well, and at the same time there is some genuine emotion with George. It’s not trying to pretend to have some big epic meaning...and you don’t see hours of self masturbatory documentaries and commentators talking about how great monsters and their films are...
Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
I’m still upset that we most likely will never get my dream, which is suits partially made with green parts, where later special effects can be added, like a super hybrid of suitmation and cgi.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
I’m still upset that we most likely will never get my dream, which is suits partially made with green parts, where later special effects can be added, like a super hybrid of suitmation and cgi.
Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.
That's pretty much my ideal, as well, and I don't know that it is all that impractical. It's not unusual to have human actors doing characters in partial make-up but with CG enhancements.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

eabaker wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
That's pretty much my ideal, as well, and I don't know that it is all that impractical. It's not unusual to have human actors doing characters in partial make-up but with CG enhancements.
I suppose, but if you;re gonna go through the trouble of making a cumbersome and complex rubber suit, might as well go full suit instead of having expensive cgi for the same thing too. Outside of stuff like tails or tentacles, I don't see cgi being interwoven into a fully featured monster suit.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GuardianGhido wrote:
eabaker wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.
I suppose, but if you;re gonna go through the trouble of making a cumbersome and complex rubber suit, might as well go full suit instead of having expensive cgi for the same thing too. Outside of stuff like tails or tentacles, I don't see cgi being interwoven into a fully featured monster suit.
It wouldn't be a fully featured suit, though. It would be a much less complex, detailed and cumbersome suit than what one sees in straight suitmation.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

So you would have a simple suit for the filming, but then place CGI details over the suit post filming?

It could be done, but special effects would more than likely just go with CGI. It would be simpler for them.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I kinda wanna see a golden Mechagodzilla, like this Trendmaster's figure:
No real reason. I just think it looks cool.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

ROMG4 wrote:In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something
That and some fans seem to have lost their damn minds.