KOTM: The Positives

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: KOTM: The Positives

Post by king_ghidorah »

Very odd to select Space G as your example lol.

I’m guessing you’re a fan of his. Which is cool. More power to you. :)

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:

-I find it amusing that the MUTO now have more film appearances than Space Godzilla.
And Titanosaurs, and Megalon, and Biollante, and Battra, and-
Very true, but those guys(and gal) are good and I'd like to see them make a return. I just singled out Space Godzilla because I don't like it. ;)

king_ghidorah wrote:Very odd to select Space G as your example lol.

I’m guessing you’re a fan of his. Which is cool. More power to you. :)
Oh not at all. XD But as you said, if one does like him then that's all fine and dandy.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Ohhhh i've got so many things to name:
1. The designs of the main monsters. Godzilla now has ShodaiGoji-esque scutes, Mothra looks so sleek and combatable, Rodan is impressive and brutal-looking and Ghido is downright terrifying and majestic. All of them have been given a new touch but remain true to the original concepts.
2. The soundtrack, McCreary's take on the classic Ifukube themes and Tankian's cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla are auditory orgasms.
3. The easter eggs and homages to previous films in the franchise, Dougherty is a true fan. I also loved how they gave Goji his Showa roar.
4. Kevin
5. The monsters' characterizations, they're quite expressive, particularly Rodan, and Ghidorah's middle head bossing Kevin around while the right one just has an exasperated look were hilarious.
6. Kevin
7. The new kaiju are pretty interesting, particularly my boy Behemoth and that one MUTO who will seemingly be an ally to the Big G now. I'm also growing kinda fond of Scylla, a.k.a Cthulhumonga. A squid with spider legs, what's not to love?
8. Kevin
9. The humans seemed more well-written and engaging than last time, at least for me. The Monarch staff in particular takes the cake.
10. Did i mention Kevin?
11. The final battle.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I loved this film so damn much, might even go as far as to say it's my new favorite film of all time. It's actually the first film I've seen three times in theaters.

All the kaiju designs were spectacular and the main four were faithful to their original designs. Behemoth is my favorite Monsterverse original kaiju and I actually wouldn't mind a solo film about him.

The action scenes and atmosphere. The fights were brutal and felt epic and huge like they should be, truly capturing the essence of this gigantic god-like beasts in combat. While many people don't like the lack of broad daylight in these films, personally I LOVE the atmosphere in the Antarctica and Boston battle since I myself love cloudy and rainy days so seeing my favorite kaiju duke it out in these settings was just perfect for me.

The Bowing Scene, this may in fact be my favorite moment in Godzilla history because it sounded goofy on paper when the leaks first emerged but seeing it actually unfold was incredible and pure badassery, it made me proud of having Godzilla as my childhood hero.

Bear McCreary's soundtrack, holy shit it's incredible! His rendition of Godzilla and Mothra's classic themes are nothing but epic and always give me goosebumps and Rodan's new theme is badass and brutal. The music called "King of the Monsters" which plays during the bowing scene is one of my absolute favorites too and Serj Tankian's rendition of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla is straight up beautiful, it actually almost makes me shed tears of joy from how awesome it is and as a System of a Down fan myself, seeing Serj Tankian and Godzilla finally cross paths was like a dream come true to me. Honestly I would love it if Toho brought him to compose The World of Godzilla films and he MUST return for Godzilla vs Kong and do his rendition of the King Kong vs Godzilla theme.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla's light show threat display. Such a cool idea, and fits this animalistic incarnation like a glove. If his atomic ray is a natural part of his species' anatomy, a weapon that was evolved rather than brought about by unnatural mutation, of course he would incorporate it into instinctive threat or dominance displays. I really hope we see more things like that in GvK, Titans threatening one another with their special weapons before or as an alternative to actually using them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

JAGzilla wrote:Godzilla's light show threat display. Such a cool idea, and fits this animalistic incarnation like a glove. If his atomic ray is a natural part of his species' anatomy, a weapon that was evolved rather than brought about by unnatural mutation, of course he would incorporate it into instinctive threat or dominance displays. I really hope we see more things like that in GvK, Titans threatening one another with their special weapons before or as an alternative to actually using them.
There was also Ghidorah rattling his tails and spreading his wings out while standing upright to make himself look as big as possible, common examples of actual animal threat displays. (Though a bit odd for an alien like him to do, maybe the animals evolved to learn from him instead of the other way around?)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Aliens are animals too, though. No reason to assume they wouldn't behave in at least similar ways to terrestrial animals.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

You know, his Earth-like behavior traits makes you wonder even more about where the hell he even came from.

"A great hydra that fell from the stars" is all they say in the movie. Was he inside a meteor like in GTTHM? Did he magically flap his wings through space and accidentally crash right into Earth? Maybe aliens sent him in some sort of chamber?

I like that they keep it vague as to how he got here, and where he came from. Gives a really cool layer of mystery.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote:You know, his Earth-like behavior traits makes you wonder even more about where the hell he even came from.

"A great hydra that fell from the stars" is all they say in the movie. Was he inside a meteor like in GTTHM? Did he magically flap his wings through space and accidentally crash right into Earth? Maybe aliens sent him in some sort of chamber?

I like that they keep it vague as to how he got here, and where he came from. Gives a really cool layer of mystery.
Yeah they really give him a "The Thing" vibe which I love. Plus the whole "Outpost 32" thing being a play on The Thing's "Outpost 31" was a cool callback.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:You know, his Earth-like behavior traits makes you wonder even more about where the hell he even came from.

Yeah they really give him a "The Thing" vibe which I love. Plus the whole "Outpost 32" thing being a play on The Thing's "Outpost 31" was a cool callback.
I know this has been said thousands of times before (probably), but I absolutely love how his biology is so foreign to our planet, it literally fucks with the atmosphere around him and creates storms. It really makes him feel like something that really is not supposed to be here under any circumstance.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

I know this has been said thousands of times before (probably), but I absolutely love how his biology is so foreign to our planet, it literally skreeonks with the atmosphere around him and creates storms. It really makes him feel like something that really is not supposed to be here under any circumstance.
Same! It really plays into that idea of extraterrestrials twisting and terraforming our world, except instead of it being due to a typical invasion, it's just this dudes raw biology that conflicts with our Earthly elements... Just the fact that he has conductive scales alone is insane, let alone his size, 3 heads, lightning control etc.

Such an impressive beast.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Yeah they really give him a "The Thing" vibe which I love. Plus the whole "Outpost 32" thing being a play on The Thing's "Outpost 31" was a cool callback.
I know this has been said thousands of times before (probably), but I absolutely love how his biology is so foreign to our planet, it literally skreeonks with the atmosphere around him and creates storms. It really makes him feel like something that really is not supposed to be here under any circumstance.
Same! It really plays into that idea of extraterrestrials twisting and terraforming our world, except instead of it being due to a typical invasion, it's just this dudes raw biology that conflicts with our Earthly elements... Just the fact that he has conductive scales alone is insane, let alone his size, 3 heads, lightning control etc.

Makes me wonder if he were to have won and terraformed Earth to his liking, would he have gotten "bored" and then fly off into space? How would that even work? He clearly doesn't have any abilities that center around gravity manipulation, he uses his wings to fly like any Earth animal, which would be useless in space.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: I know this has been said thousands of times before (probably), but I absolutely love how his biology is so foreign to our planet, it literally skreeonks with the atmosphere around him and creates storms. It really makes him feel like something that really is not supposed to be here under any circumstance.

Makes me wonder if he were to have won and terraformed Earth to his liking, would he have gotten "bored" and then fly off into space? How would that even work? He clearly doesn't have any abilities that center around gravity manipulation, he uses his wings to fly like any Earth animal, which would be useless in space.
Yeah I think he probably would've either stayed long enough to eradicate all life (or most of it), before heading off for another planet, or he would've maybe took over the Titans and used Earth as a "nest" fit for a "King".

I think somebody on here said in the KOTM novel, they made it seem like Ghidorah was running from something and he just so happened to run into Earth, but the book didn't clarify what. I haven't seen the text, but if that's the case then Ghidorah was likely King on a different planet, and was chased off by... Spacegodzilla? I'd be cool with that tbh lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

_JNavs_ wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Same! It really plays into that idea of extraterrestrials twisting and terraforming our world, except instead of it being due to a typical invasion, it's just this dudes raw biology that conflicts with our Earthly elements... Just the fact that he has conductive scales alone is insane, let alone his size, 3 heads, lightning control etc.

Yeah I think he probably would've either stayed long enough to eradicate all life (or most of it), before heading off for another planet, or he would've maybe took over the Titans and used Earth as a "nest" fit for a "King".

I think somebody on here said in the KOTM novel, they made it seem like Ghidorah was running from something and he just so happened to run into Earth, but the book didn't clarify what. I haven't seen the text, but if that's the case then Ghidorah was likely King on a different planet, and was chased off by... Spacegodzilla? I'd be cool with that tbh lol.
Meh, not really too big a fan of SpaceGodzilla being a threat to King Ghidorah. I'd rather have the bigger fish be an even stronger Ghidorah, possibly the Alpha of All Ghidorahs instead. Something like a 300 meter tall Grand King Ghidorah, someone who could personally eradicate a planet's life in a day with or without an army. Maybe have him be the one responsible for the near extinction of his own species just for the heck of it (along with countless other planets he wiped clean of life) with this King Ghidorah coming to earth to flee his genocidal rampage.

Yes I'm a little biased in favor of Ghidorah. I just love having him or a variation of him being the ultimate big bad y'know. His role in the Showa series is still one of my favorite Kaiju villains.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

But how would Ghidorah fly into and locomote through space? KOTM Ghidorah doesn't manipulate gravity, he uses his wings to push air and fly through an atmosphere, like any real flying animal.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

DirektorSplennic wrote:But how would Ghidorah fly into and locomote through space? KOTM Ghidorah doesn't manipulate gravity, he uses his wings to push air and fly through an atmosphere, like any real flying animal.
I suppose, but the thing is we haven't really seen him do anything not combat related, so he probably has some sort of passive ability to travel around planets or how would he even get here in the first place? He didn't really have any use for not flying with his wings since they weren't really damaged too badly before Burning Godzilla incinerated them. Flying around also created his storms and caused massive destruction, which is his objective so even more reason to flap those bad boys around.

While we can't exactly prove he has an ability to travel through planets, we can't really prove that he can't do anything like that either, it's all speculation.

(Also, huge stretch, but the flapping noises stopped completely and got replaced with the BIDIBIDIBIDI when he landed in Boston, so maybe he was hovering with gravity manipulation?)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

GuardianGhido wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:But how would Ghidorah fly into and locomote through space? KOTM Ghidorah doesn't manipulate gravity, he uses his wings to push air and fly through an atmosphere, like any real flying animal.
I suppose, but the thing is we haven't really seen him do anything not combat related, so he probably has some sort of passive ability to travel around planets or how would he even get here in the first place? While we can't exactly prove he has an ability to travel through planets, we can't really prove that he can't do anything like that either, it's all speculation.

(Also, huge stretch, but the flapping noises stopped completely and got replaced with the BIDIBIDIBIDI when he landed in Boston, so maybe he was hovering with gravity manipulation?)
I've always assumed he came here encased in some meteor without actually trying to land on Earth. Basically once he get's here he's here for good. The gravity manipulation thing feels strangely out of place. Idk why.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I could see the meteor thing. Could've been a cool alternative to the ice, too.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

With all the backstory these monsters have, I would LOVE to see a prequel story that is basically the Titans living in the prehistoric world that was once theirs with no dialogue (except for maybe a narrator) and telling the story entirely with the visuals.

No way in hell that would ever get made, but I'd love it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

GojiDog wrote:With all the backstory these monsters have, I would LOVE to see a prequel story that is basically the Titans living in the prehistoric world that was once theirs with no dialogue (except for maybe a narrator) and telling the story entirely with the visuals.

No way in hell that would ever get made, but I'd love it.
That's pretty much something Mikey could do without too many glaring problems. He nailed practicallly all of the monster bits in KOTM IMO, but totally messed up a bunch of human stuff and did an utter travesty with the OD, not to mention trying to jam the humans into the monster fights with cutting back and forth. If he did uninterrupted monster stuff with no human things like he said he wanted to, it would probably be great or at least it would be free of some of the problems in KOTM.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.