Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I've actually said this before,but Kevin's honestly not that funny. I have no problem with people laughing at comedic characters but i never laughed whenever Ni (or is the right head Ni?) bit down and got him to pay attention. That being said he doesn't make me enjoy Ghidorah any less/
It's San.
Oh,thanks. :)
No problem.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've always seen the 1955 suit as a prototype of the 1989 and onwards Heisei era suits.
You know, now that you say it, they are actually pretty similar.

I never considered this before, but I believe you are correct

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've always seen the 1955 suit as a prototype of the 1989 and onwards Heisei era suits.
You know, now that you say it, they are actually pretty similar.

I never considered this before, but I believe you are correct
If I had to sum it up, it’s:
-The small head
-skinny neck
-More upright posture (yet still in the early era where the first few Godzilla’s were visibly hunched over)
-The wide shoulders
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

tyrantgoji wrote:I've actually said this before,but Kevin's honestly not that funny. I have no problem with people laughing at comedic characters but i never laughed whenever Ni (or is the right head Ni?) bit down and got him to pay attention. That being said he doesn't make me enjoy Ghidorah any less/
No shit, only a handful of idiots from r/Godzilla and awful Facebook pages push that forced meme I thought?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Devil's advocate here, Center Head bullying Lefty in Antarctica was the only moment that got a chuckle out of my father (and to my recollection the rest of the audience) during my first viewing

Most of the actual comic relief scenes fell completely flat
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

None of this is unpopular.
Others and I have been criticizing the whole Kevin meme thing, and the films comic relief since the film came out. It's all juvenile and cringey sex jokes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

G2000 wrote:Devil's advocate here, Center Head bullying Lefty in Antarctica was the only moment that got a chuckle out of my father (and to my recollection the rest of the audience) during my first viewing

Most of the actual comic relief scenes fell completely flat
I thought the Gonorrhea fell flat. I did like Rick's "You out of your goddamn mind?" and "Jumpstarting a car" lines. He was my least favorite character though. I liked Sam more because he seemed a little more genuine, and overall just a nicer guy.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There is no excuse for making a joke about an STD in a Godzilla movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Used to dislike Rick at first, but he grew on me later. Just feels like the sort of guy who'd treat these kind of situations by joking about it.

Also while I do agree the naughty jokes mostly fell flat, I didn't mind the rest myself. Some of my favorite quips in the movie were "They got the keys to your Magical Kingdom of Horrors" "Cause I wanna start a boat tour", "Yeah sure let's bring him in for a beer", "What about Moe, Larry and Curly over there", "Gonna be a bad day to be a Red Sox fan" and of course "That BITCH"
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The KOTM score is my least favorite of the three American Godzillas. I stand by my statement that most of the music sounds like it could be from any other modern Hollywood blockbuster. "Welcome to Monarch" especially, with its driving string/electronic pulse and militaristic percussion sounds like some library source music. Most of the tracks lack any notable melody. These are all tracks that work better in the film (when you can hear them) than on their own. The most interesting tracks are the ones that had been composed by Ifukube and Yuji Koseki; McCreary's classic-style take on the Godzilla theme is very good.

David Arnold's film scores all somewhat sound alike (and like John Barry's scores...) but his Godzilla theme was immediately recognizable and maybe the most admirable aspect of that entire film. Like Ifukube's Heisei-era march, it evoked both awe and fear. And Desplat's score for G14 wasn't iconic but at least the monsters had identifiable (original) themes (even if Godzilla's melody was rather dull). IMO that's a better example of a Godzilla-style score complemented by modern film scoring tropes.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The KOTM score is my least favorite of the three American Godzillas. I stand by my statement that most of the music sounds like it could be from any other modern Hollywood blockbuster. "Welcome to Monarch" especially, with its driving string/electronic pulse and militaristic percussion sounds like some library source music. Most of the tracks lack any notable melody. These are all tracks that work better in the film (when you can hear them) than on their own. The most interesting tracks are the ones that had been composed by Ifukube and Yuji Koseki; McCreary's classic-style take on the Godzilla theme is very good.

David Arnold's film scores all somewhat sound alike (and like John Barry's scores...) but his Godzilla theme was immediately recognizable and maybe the most admirable aspect of that entire film. Like Ifukube's Heisei-era march, it evoked both awe and fear. And Desplat's score for G14 wasn't iconic but at least the monsters had identifiable (original) themes (even if Godzilla's melody was rather dull). IMO that's a better example of a Godzilla-style score complemented by modern film scoring tropes.
Totally with you on this.

In general, when people on this board talk about their favorite modern scores/composers, I tend to be a little baffled, because generally they're people whose work seems pretty generic to me. Maybe my sensibilities are just deeply rooted in past eras...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The KOTM score is my least favorite of the three American Godzillas. I stand by my statement that most of the music sounds like it could be from any other modern Hollywood blockbuster. "Welcome to Monarch" especially, with its driving string/electronic pulse and militaristic percussion sounds like some library source music. Most of the tracks lack any notable melody. These are all tracks that work better in the film (when you can hear them) than on their own. The most interesting tracks are the ones that had been composed by Ifukube and Yuji Koseki; McCreary's classic-style take on the Godzilla theme is very good.

Totally with you on this.

In general, when people on this board talk about their favorite modern scores/composers, I tend to be a little baffled, because generally they're people whose work seems pretty generic to me. Maybe my sensibilities are just deeply rooted in past eras...
I think a major thing people miss about most of the Godzilla music, is that with the exception of a few heisei tracks, and maybe some millennium ones, it’s easy to hear a track of Godzilla music, and identify what era it’s from, and more importantly, who made it, even if you don’t know who it is. Like you can tell GxM has the same composer as Godzilla Tokyo Sos. You can tell the composer of the heisei Gamera films is the same as GMK. Heck you can do the same with Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Megalon.

I’m not sure I can say that same for KOTM. The most interesting thing was the chanting inserted into the Godzilla theme. Other then that...

I’ll also say, the Mothra theme was underwhelming. It keeps feeling it it’ll build towards something, and doesn’t.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think Ifukube especially gave the movies a very distinct sonic identity because he was a very atypical film composer.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I think Ifukube especially gave the movies a very distinct sonic identity because he was a very atypical film composer.
Okay so, my feeling is that a lot of Japanese composers, were atypical, at least by western standards. Ikufube, if memory serves correct, was also an opera/concert composer. Likewise, the guy who scored Godzilla vs. Hedorah, had some background in jazz I believe. The Showa era had some great variety.

Meanwhile Hollywood/Big budget American films, mostly have this image of what “big epic music” needs to be. You’ll never get something like Angurius vs. Mechagodzilla music in a big budget American film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Obviously Sato and Manabe and other golden-age Japanese composers created different music compared to their Hollywood counterparts. But I think Ifukube was very unique even among Japanese composers. I think he approached his film scores the same way he approached concert music, and in doing so his scores have a lot of musical oddities you don't hear in many film soundtracks. He routinely incorporated odd metres and time signatures to the point that he was almost averse to 3/4 and 4/4 time (the most common metres in Western music). (Consider the battle theme from KKvG, which is mostly in 5/4.) His melodic composition was very unique too, with lots of chromatic movement within more common minor or major keys. A good example of this is the main theme from The Mysterians: it's almost entirely chromatic but never atonal. These are very odd approaches to film scoring, even among his Japanese contemporaries.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

But it has the effect of making them memorable.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

I dont mind minya but dont like little godzilla, even though they are essentially the same characters

I also think the ghidorah movies (3 headed monster and astro monster) are the least interesting from the showa era, which is a shame cause the 60s suit is my favourite ghidorah design
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love all Godzilla's offspring.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I love all Godzilla's offspring.
provided that they are actually his offspring

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well not technically.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983