Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by Vakanai »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Even so, how many times can you go back to the same well and expect a different result? Even more so with a director that many still consider, and rightfully so, damaged goods?
Depends on what you mean by "well". There's nothing wrong with the classic monsters well if that's what you mean. Same as Godzilla or Batman, you can return to that well endlessly and get different results. If you mean the well of people in charge, the executive/producer/director well, then you've got a stronger point. But even then they can turn in works of differing values, especially when no longer having to deal with the constraints of executive meddling and shared universe building/pushing.

I usually don't keep up with who directs what, so what did he direct to make him damaged goods?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Why are they doing this? I'm more confused by this that I'm angry.
Has Universal lost their minds, I mean they're just making incredibly bad decisions.

Between letting this Chuggloard reboot this for the forth time and the abomination that is the Cats movie. I'm sure that who ever is charge of Universal, must have been dropped on their head as baby, a great many times.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Why are they doing this? I'm more confused by this that I'm angry.
Has Universal lost their minds, I mean they're just making incredibly bad decisions.

Between letting this Chuggloard reboot this for the forth time and the abomination that is the Cats movie. I'm sure that who ever is charge of Universal, must have been dropped on their head as baby, a great many times.
It's not being rebooted - it is not a shared universe film, the Dark Universe is still dead - it just happens to be a movie about one or more of the monsters and has Dark in the name. The guy who posted the link just apparently assumed it was them still trying to do the Dark Universe.

Why are you so angry about them wanting to do such a thing anyways, if you don't mind me asking?

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Universal's/BlumHouse's Invisible Man is proceeding on schedule. It is to be released in Feb. 2020. Writer/director Leigh Whannell has a lot of writing/producing cred, esp in regards to the Saw and Insidious franchises. His script is based on the H.G. Wells novel, just as the 1933 original was, so it is a straight horror reboot. The Dark Universe is still alive and kicking. But no more BIG stars or BIG budgets...

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MandaSaurus wrote:Universal's/BlumHouse's Invisible Man is proceeding on schedule. It is to be released in Feb. 2020. Writer/director Leigh Whannell has a lot of writing/producing cred, esp in regards to the Saw and Insidious franchises. His script is based on the H.G. Wells novel, just as the 1933 original was, so it is a straight horror reboot. The Dark Universe is still alive and kicking. But no more BIG stars or BIG budgets...
Unless it's a shared crossover thing, it isn't Dark Universe. It's just a solo Invisible Man reboot isn't it? Disconnected Universal Horror film.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Vakanai wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Even so, how many times can you go back to the same well and expect a different result? Even more so with a director that many still consider, and rightfully so, damaged goods?
Depends on what you mean by "well". There's nothing wrong with the classic monsters well if that's what you mean. Same as Godzilla or Batman, you can return to that well endlessly and get different results. If you mean the well of people in charge, the executive/producer/director well, then you've got a stronger point. But even then they can turn in works of differing values, especially when no longer having to deal with the constraints of executive meddling and shared universe building/pushing.

I usually don't keep up with who directs what, so what did he direct to make him damaged goods?
He basically called people who had legitimate concerns about the movie and if he was the best fit for the job as misogynists, bigots, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

He basically called people who had legitimate concerns about the movie and if he was the best fit for the job as misogynists, bigots, etc.
Ugh, horrible.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Vakanai wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Depends on what you mean by "well". There's nothing wrong with the classic monsters well if that's what you mean. Same as Godzilla or Batman, you can return to that well endlessly and get different results. If you mean the well of people in charge, the executive/producer/director well, then you've got a stronger point. But even then they can turn in works of differing values, especially when no longer having to deal with the constraints of executive meddling and shared universe building/pushing.

Ugh, horrible.
That was pretty much what I had to say, but with a lot less swearing.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
And pretending that GB2016 never happened.
What in blazes are you talking about? There was nothing GB related in 2016.
That doesn't mean that Feig and Amy Pascal tried.

Vakanai wrote:It's just a stand alone. Which means there's a small chance it'll actually be a good monster movie.

Universal can and still should try and make movies with the classic monsters I think. But their attempts at setting up a universe with the first movie at the expense of story was outright bad.
Even so, how many times can you go back to the same well and expect a different result? Even more so with a director that many still consider, and rightfully so, damaged goods?
That's funny you say that, considering people have said the same thing in regards to KOTM recent failure (or "disappointment"). There's literally nothing wrong with revisiting old characters and doing a different spin on them, aslong as it's good. Godzilla is an old character yet you're head over heals with them making those movies, why can't Universal do the same with their own iconic characters?

You seem to have to have this weird desire with rejecting anything new being done with these characters and I don't know why. I sense some hypocrisy, you guys complain all the time about nothing but Disney movies do good at the box office and audiences reject anything else-but you're dismissing another studios efforts before you've seen it or know that much about it.

Also I don't won't to stir a hornets nest, but didn't he say that because there was a lot of backlash against the movie before it came out because of the female cast? That's not where all the criticism was coming from, but a good portion of the loudest stuff on the internet was.
Last edited by mvp9056 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Personally I think the universal monsters have had their day, the only thing good that came from the recent "reboot" was the mummy demastered.

If they really want the monsters to succeed, I think they need to get back to the horror aspect of these films and try not to do an avengers. I think really instead of a shared universe the monsters would work better as an anthology series, set in the same world but the characters never meet. To make it more interesting Each story should also be set in its own time periods eg frankenstien the 19th century, dracula the victorian era, the creature the 1950s etc

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

^

Sounds like that’s what we’ll be getting. We’ll see
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

realinvaderdesign wrote:Personally I think the universal monsters have had their day, the only thing good that came from the recent "reboot" was the mummy demastered.

If they really want the monsters to succeed, I think they need to get back to the horror aspect of these films and try not to do an avengers. I think really instead of a shared universe the monsters would work better as an anthology series, set in the same world but the characters never meet. To make it more interesting Each story should also be set in its own time periods eg frankenstien the 19th century, dracula the victorian era, the creature the 1950s etc
Why put Creature in the 50s? I mean at that time those films were the present, so I think keeping him in the present could work.

And there was a time when people said Godzilla had his day, and the only good thing that came out of any reboot was Biollante.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Vakanai wrote: Why put Creature in the 50s? I mean at that time those films were the present, so I think keeping him in the present could work.

And there was a time when people said Godzilla had his day, and the only good thing that came out of any reboot was Biollante.
I imagine it has to do with being isolated/trapped by the Creature. With today's technology, such as cell and satellite phones, such a scenario can't really play out.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Why put Creature in the 50s? I mean at that time those films were the present, so I think keeping him in the present could work.

I imagine it has to do with being isolated/trapped by the Creature. With today's technology, such as cell and satellite phones, such a scenario can't really play out.
Not necessarily -even if you have a satellite phone, you are deep in the Amazon rainforest far from the civilized parts of South America, in terrain that is hard to reach/traverse. Even if you call and get help, it'd take many hours for rescue to arrive, which is more than enough time for the events of a scary movie to occur. Just because you can call somebody, doesn't mean you aren't on your own in a very dangerous situation for who knows how long. And that's not even counting various character motivations on why they might not call for help right away.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Spokesmen for Universal have said that there will be no more "planned crossovers" for Dark Universe, unless it is something that just falls together naturally. Each reboot will be a standalone project. They are more concerned with getting the reboots done, than the "crossover thing"...

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

mvp9056 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Vakanai wrote: What in blazes are you talking about? There was nothing GB related in 2016.

Vakanai wrote:It's just a stand alone. Which means there's a small chance it'll actually be a good monster movie.

Universal can and still should try and make movies with the classic monsters I think. But their attempts at setting up a universe with the first movie at the expense of story was outright bad.
Even so, how many times can you go back to the same well and expect a different result? Even more so with a director that many still consider, and rightfully so, damaged goods?
That's funny you say that, considering people have said the same thing in regards to KOTM recent failure (or "disappointment"). There's literally nothing wrong with revisiting old characters and doing a different spin on them, aslong as it's good. Godzilla is an old character yet you're head over heals with them making those movies, why can't Universal do the same with their own iconic characters?

You seem to have to have this weird desire with rejecting anything new being done with these characters and I don't know why. I sense some hypocrisy, you guys complain all the time about nothing but Disney movies do good at the box office and audiences reject anything else-but you're dismissing another studios efforts before you've seen it or know that much about it.

Also I don't won't to stir a hornets nest, but didn't he say that because there was a lot of backlash against the movie before it came out because of the female cast? That's not where all the criticism was coming from, but a good portion of the loudest stuff on the internet was.
Except that Universal tried twice already and failed. The Godzillaverse has 2 successful movies under its belt.

As for Feig. Most of that was from the fact that nobody wanted an all female reboot with a man who wasn't fit for the job anyway. It wasn't the women per-se. It was the movie.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
mvp9056 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Except that Universal tried twice already and failed. The Godzillaverse has 2 successful movies under its belt.

As for Feig. Most of that was from the fact that nobody wanted an all female reboot with a man who wasn't fit for the job anyway. It wasn't the women per-se. It was the movie.
Yes, they failed, which is why Universal is no longer trying to make a shared universe. Does that mean they should also stop trying to make monster movies in general?

Personally it wasn't the all female thing, but the reboot thing. I lost all interest when they announced it'd be a reboot. You don't reboot Ghostbusters.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Still waiting for the sequel to Dracula Untold, that shiit slapped.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
mvp9056 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Well when you think about it, those recent monster movies made decent money overall. The Frasier mummy movies all made decent profits, Van Helsing made $300 million in 2004, and even Dracula Untold did okay box office. The only outright flop was Wolfman in 2010. Even the Tom Cruise Mummy made over $400 million worldwide (more than KOTM made). If they made that much being what they are, imagine how much more they would've made if they were better movies.

The problem isn't so much the money they end up making, the problem is Universals lofty, blockbuster ambitions for these movies. These characters aren't meant for blockbuster sized/style films, and from what it sounds like Universal is starting to realize that. This is something they've never attempted before (making more ambitious, director-driven films over generic action tentpoles) and I'm going to wait and see what they can do.
Last edited by mvp9056 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

If things did better for the Dark Universe, seeing the following bit of fan-art, I could actually see this happening down the line. If the franchise had taken off like some had hoped.
IMHOTEP Vs. AHMANET !
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.