Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by Maritonic »

Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the most overlooked Disney films, though. Mostly because it's so dark.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the most overlooked Disney films, though. Mostly because it's so dark.
Well, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to tell you the story of the film but I assure you that if you told them to say what came to mind when you mention "Hunchback of Notre Dame" people will mention the Disney film.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:That's why I said "In general" and didn't specify an age-group.
Well, yes, this is the specific point on which I'm disagreeing with you. I believe that your claim is only applicable to a certain age group.
In an overall "average" i.e. the common man's perspective, most people will associate the story with the Disney film. You don't have to have been a kid when it came out to know about it, Disney adaptions of story almost always transcend the original.

The average person does not know about the novel or any of the other film adaptions.
Where are you getting your data?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of the most overlooked Disney films, though. Mostly because it's so dark.
Well, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to tell you the story of the film but I assure you that if you told them to say what came to mind when you mention "Hunchback of Notre Dame" people will mention the Disney film.
I think most people tend to know it just as a general monster story. Yes, the Disney film comes up, but it's like Phantom of the Opera: everyone knows the musical, but people know that isn't the only thing there is.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I think most people tend to know it just as a general monster story. Yes, the Disney film comes up, but it's like Phantom of the Opera: everyone knows the musical, but people know that isn't the only thing there is.
Are you talking about the Ken Hill musical, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, or the Maury Yeston musical? ;)
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Fair points. I went with that mostly because it's set back in the 15th century, like Dracula Untold. And it was technically the first Universal "monster film".
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

One of my personal favorites without a doubt.

And then there was the sequel...But everyone tries to forget that happened...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Paul Feig will be making a new Dark Universe movie.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/paul-feig- ... 202732738/

Third time won't be the charm for the Dark Universe.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Rhedosaurus wrote:Paul Feig will be making a new Dark Universe movie.

Probably gonna fail once again because GA are too used to anything that's labelled as Disney or isn't superheroes nowadays.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

Probably gonna fail once again because GA are too used to anything that's labelled as Disney or isn't superheroes nowadays.
Really hate how Disney has pretty much stolen the spotlight from practically every other studio. Gives us less variety.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

TyrantGojira wrote:Really hate how Disney has pretty much stolen the spotlight from practically every other studio. Gives us less variety.
Disney has made such a legacy from the ground up they could still make money no matter even if they purposely made a movie very bad. Just as long as their name is labelled which is a money grabber alone.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Literally nothing about that says anything about the Dark Universe, but I'm really excited for this.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Gfan and Tyrant wrote:DISNEY BAD
Or maybe this is just a dumb idea regardless.
Last edited by Smuggers on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It’s not Disney’s fault the other studios are making bad movies.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

TyrantGojira wrote:Really hate how Disney has pretty much stolen the spotlight from practically every other studio. Gives us less variety.

...ORRR.....It's because it's being made Paul Feig, who needlessly turned the Ghostbusters franchise into a culture war battleground and can't make genre movies that aren't comedy/spoofs.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Rhedosaurus wrote:...ORRR.....It's because it's being made Paul Feig, who needlessly turned the Ghostbusters franchise into a culture war battleground and can't make genre movies that aren't comedy/spoofs.
But isn't GhostBusters now bound to get back on track due to bringing the old cast back?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

But it's not a Dark Universe movie. Just because it deals with the Universal Monsters and has Dark in the name doesn't mean they're still trying to make a shared universe. It's just a stand alone. Which means there's a small chance it'll actually be a good monster movie.

Universal can and still should try and make movies with the classic monsters I think. But their attempts at setting up a universe with the first movie at the expense of story was outright bad.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:...ORRR.....It's because it's being made Paul Feig, who needlessly turned the Ghostbusters franchise into a culture war battleground and can't make genre movies that aren't comedy/spoofs.
But isn't GhostBusters now bound to get back on track due to bringing the old cast back?
And pretending that GB2016 never happened.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
What in blazes are you talking about? There was nothing GB related in 2016.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Vakanai wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: But isn't GhostBusters now bound to get back on track due to bringing the old cast back?
What in blazes are you talking about? There was nothing GB related in 2016.
That doesn't mean that Feig and Amy Pascal tried.

Vakanai wrote:It's just a stand alone. Which means there's a small chance it'll actually be a good monster movie.

Universal can and still should try and make movies with the classic monsters I think. But their attempts at setting up a universe with the first movie at the expense of story was outright bad.
Even so, how many times can you go back to the same well and expect a different result? Even more so with a director that many still consider, and rightfully so, damaged goods?