Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: Your fears for Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

My one worry is that will Warner Bros. hire Bear McCreary to do the film's music, because I could totally imagine the tribal chants in my head, but on an epic scale.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:My one worry is that will Warner Bros. hire Bear McCreary to do the film's music, because I could totally imagine the tribal chants in my head, but on an epic scale.
Gosh, I hope they bring Bear back. The soundtrack was my favorite thing about KOTM.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

My worry is that they bring McCreary back
GO GO GOJI KUN

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

My worry is that they completely throw realism out the window like they did in KOTM. Say what you will about K:SI, but biases aside, they kept a sense of scale on par with G14. The daylight fights were awesome too, gloomy cloudy weather is an awesome skylight for the two to fight in.
Image Image

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

I’m worried that they will again put a lot of annoying Bible references into the film and generally leave the religious atmosphere of KOTM

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Olzh26 wrote:I’m worried that they will again put a lot of annoying Bible references into the film and generally leave the religious atmosphere of KOTM
Well when a planet killer is literally killing the world, kind of hard not to call it the end times.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:I’m worried that they will again put a lot of annoying Bible references into the film and generally leave the religious atmosphere of KOTM
Well when a planet killer is literally killing the world, kind of hard not to call it the end times.
Well this will not happen in GvK so refrain, Legendary

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not really a fear but that they won't adapt the main title theme from the original.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm worried that Godzilla will be evil out of nowhere so people root for Kong, the underdog.

They've spent two films developing a very clear characterization for Godzilla.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I'm worried that Godzilla will be evil out of nowhere so people root for Kong, the underdog.

They've spent two films developing a very clear characterization for Godzilla.
I don't think that will happen, I think this will be very much a are you Team Godzilla or Team Kong deal.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

It'd be better then an typical generic team up though that's for sure.

alextheburger
Yojimbo

Post by alextheburger »

my fears for the film is that it will try to be too "edgy" looking at the directors' past work (granted I never finished the death note film) it seems like he wants to put some edge into the film. the other fear is a "justice league" will happen to it, WB will watch a cut and looking that the opinion of KOTM from critics will say "go back and add new story" and the creators will have to cram in a bunch of additional stuff that will make it terrible. now it is true that basically all movies have reshoots but I'm just worried that history is repeating itself here, they shot GvK before KOTM came out, much like how Justice League was 2 weeks from shooting when BvS came out and they had no time to fix it. I trust Legendary and the creative team not to do this but it is concerning that they mentioned a delay is possible and that all we have is a teaser poster.
Last edited by alextheburger on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
S T E E L Y O U R S E L V E S !

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Just off the top of my head, that we won't get to see clean-cut fights. I know others have already said it multiple times, but what was super frustrating in KOTM was that we would see three seconds of a fight clearly, then cut to people with vague monster fights in the background. KSI was great in this regard in that it would settle on the monsters fighting, clearly, for a good minute or so before cutting to the humans and back to the monsters. It was coherent and clear.

And also that Kong won't try to force-feed a tree to Goji.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

MothraRocks wrote:Just off the top of my head, that we won't get to see clean-cut fights. I know others have already said it multiple times, but what was super frustrating in KOTM was that we would see three seconds of a fight clearly, then cut to people with vague monster fights in the background. KSI was great in this regard in that it would settle on the monsters fighting, clearly, for a good minute or so before cutting to the humans and back to the monsters. It was coherent and clear.
Yeah this is a huge concern of mine here. Where KSI succeeded and both KOTM and G14 didn't (IMO) is that in the fight between Kong and Ramarak and even Kong against the squid, the narrative of the fight smoothly followed the monsters instead of the people, only cutting to the people when they were doing something that involved the battle itself like distracting Ramarak with machine guns or firing a flare at him. It really felt like the fight was the main focus in here.

On the other hand, in G14, we didn't even get to see most of the fights with only the fight at the very last of the movie getting any focus at all. Most of the focus until then was just given to the monsters moving around or smashing up human stuff. (not quite gratuitous and entertaining rampaging destruction like the old Toho films either, that all happened off screen) The final fight I do admit was shot well and had good cinematography, but I'm on the minority here in that it doesn't feel enough for a 2 hour movie, sure we get some decent shots and good hits, but the choreography just feels like them pushing and pulling each other around instead of a proper brawl to me. The dark and dusty background and the focus given to the extremely dull Mr Soldier Dude and his generic companions (save that one guy who reacted to the atomic breath, I liked him) didn't help things either.

KOTM went the extra mile in giving us plenty of monster action throughout the movie, but also went the extra mile to not let us see all of it. Instead of cutting away from the fights completely, they kept them in the background and showed the humans running around nearby instead. While I did enjoy getting to see the fights at least, I would have preferred if the narrative followed the awesome and iconic monsters of KOTM instead of the humans of KOTM instead. We're not here to watch Mark search for Maddie while some off-focus monsters are brawling somewhere over there, we wanna see Godzilla and King Ghidorah beating the crap out of each other while some off-focus human searches for his family somewhere down there. They really had a hard time keeping the balance focused between humans and monsters, in the end barely giving focus to either for many people to be really engaged with it. They should have just gone the KSI route and focused more on the monsters and only cutting to the humans when necessary. Don't try to cram the regular humans into the monster fights.

Here's hoping GvK puts all the focus on the main, titular fight itself. If it's called Godzilla versus Kong, I do NOT wanna watch some human running around! I do NOT want the focus taken away from them and onto some random humans we don't care about nearly as much! As Dr. Serizawa said, Let them fight!

(or if you really wanna show humans, don't take the focus away from the fight and have the humans participating in the fight instead. Show some jets doing fly-bys, show some explosions from battleship guns or tank cannons happening nearby, have the Argo swoop by blasting one of them with missiles or masers or something, show us some high tech Monarch weaponry in action. if this time you join the fight, give em something to do for the fight itself like KSI did with the flaregun and other distractions)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I think it's not ok anymore to show extensive kaiju destruction scenes due to some 9/11 terrorist related thing.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Orichalcum wrote:I think it's not ok anymore to show extensive kaiju destruction scenes due to some 9/11 terrorist related thing.
Which really sucks, cause we haven't gotten gratuitous monster destruction in ANY of the Monsteverse movies so far! If you can't have Godzilla and Kong trashing a city in the wake of their brawl, move it to Skull Island and have it level a mountain or something! I wanna see things crumble! If GvK doesn't have any destruction either, I'm gonna be pretty ticked.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

another fear I have is the movie getting pushed back.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

For the love of god if you have to do a fight at night, make it as bright as Toho's films, and Jurassic World's end fight. Yes they brightened it up for KOTM, you know this, I know this, but it was still darker than the examples I just gave and the thing is, when you get older your eyesight is the thing to start going away. I know of two people who are in their 50's to 60's saying they couldn't see. They acknowledge it's brighter than G2014 but it was still too dark for them.

Shin Godzilla has a literal black out scene and you can still see before he lights the city on fire, and that's Toho working with a way smaller budget than these films. And Jurassic World's end fight is a recent example of Hollywood studios showing they can do it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Orichalcum wrote:I think it's not ok anymore to show extensive kaiju destruction scenes due to some 9/11 terrorist related thing.
IDK Cloverfield did it and did it well for the most part. That was 7 years after 9/11. Hell even Transformers: Dark of the Moon to a lesser extent or Independence Day Resurgence even. Theres plenty of fairly recent films with tons of destruction.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Oh that’s some bullshiit. I wouldn’t have a destruction scene due to the fact that it’s not really needed unless it’s forwarding the plot (like KOTM when the monsters awaken and destroy cities or if Godzilla puts humans in check by destroying a city, or even a scared and angry Kong destroying a city). But the 9/11 reasoning is absolutely stupid.
Image Image