Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

So, I've been thinking about film preservation and how more and more nearly forgotten movies are slowly getting new Blu-rays with 2-4K restations, I mean Tammy and The T-rex is getting full, uncut collectors edition sometime soon. But with every miracle, theres two-three movies that are seemingly doomed to be lost. I've posted this over on Kaiju Galaxy and my Deviantart page, I'm really interested in seeing what people are after. So here is my list of films that need a Blu-ray release:

The Hitcher
I was a Teenage Frankenstein
I was a Teenage Werewolf
It Conquered the World
Zontar, The Thing from Venus
Invasion of the Saucer Men
The Eye Creatures
The Amazing Colossal Man
Terror from the Year 5000
Day Of The Triffids
Carnosaur
The War Of The Worlds (53)
Bride of the Gorilla
Robot Monster
The Crawling Eye
The Brain From Planet Arous
Teenage Monster
Invaders From Mars (53)
Berserker - A slasher movie were a Viking fights a bear!
Ticks
Jigsaw (2002)

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: Movies M.I.A on blu-ray

Post by Orichalcum »

Rawhead fucking Rex has a 4k release but the amazing colossal man doesn't? Wth

While Guyver 2 Dark Hero doesn't even have a proper VHS or DvD release
Last edited by Orichalcum on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think Amazing Colossal Man, and many of its kind, are part of some rights issue. I remember people talking about it back when Scorpion Releasing teased a kaiju release of some kind.

Dawn of the Dead (the original) is another sorely missing from Blu-Ray, although it did have a very limited run a few years ago from Anchor Bay. But that's a film in dire need of a Scream Factory, Arrow or even Criterion release ASAP. The 4-disc Ultimate Edition DVD is pretty much the best thing for it right now.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Is Caltiki on Blu-ray?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Orichalcum wrote:Is Caltiki on Blu-ray?
It is.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote: Dawn of the Dead (the original) is another sorely missing from Blu-Ray, although it did have a very limited run a few years ago from Anchor Bay. But that's a film in dire need of a Scream Factory, Arrow or even Criterion release ASAP. The 4-disc Ultimate Edition DVD is pretty much the best thing for it right now.
God, yes. That four disc set is excellent, but I'd love to see Criterion or Arrow do something with it. Scream's done Day and Land, Criterion's done Night. Someone needs to do Dawn. They just did a 4k remaster, didn't they?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Toho's Half Human, Prophecies of Nostradamus, and GunHed don't have Blu-ray releases I don't believe.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: Dawn of the Dead (the original) is another sorely missing from Blu-Ray, although it did have a very limited run a few years ago from Anchor Bay. But that's a film in dire need of a Scream Factory, Arrow or even Criterion release ASAP. The 4-disc Ultimate Edition DVD is pretty much the best thing for it right now.
God, yes. That four disc set is excellent, but I'd love to see Criterion or Arrow do something with it. Scream's done Day and Land, Criterion's done Night. Someone needs to do Dawn. They just did a 4k remaster, didn't they?
They have,and a UK distributor is putting it out on Blu-Ray.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Toho's Young Guy and Crazy Cats series have yet to see Blu-ray releases

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: I was a Teenage Frankenstein
I was a Teenage Werewolf
It Conquered the World
Zontar, The Thing from Venus
Invasion of the Saucer Men
The Eye Creatures
The Amazing Colossal Man
Terror from the Year 5000
All owned by Susan (Hart) Hofheinz-Nicholson, widow of AIP co-founder James Nicholson. Hofheinz has refused all offers from interested distributors. I'd suggest Googling to learn more about it. The same issue somewhat applies to...
Bride of the Gorilla
Robot Monster
The Crawling Eye
The Brain From Planet Arous
Teenage Monster
Invaders From Mars (53)
...which are in the hands of Wade Williams. Kino made him an offer to restore and release most of his collection several years ago and he turned it down. He has publicly said he's interested in releasing these and other films in his control but there's been no news in the years since.

In need of a Blu-ray release: The Thing from Another World. Reportedly WB's elements are in poor condition. The same is supposedly true of Curse of Frankenstein, although that title's available in Region B.

Paramount has an HD transfer of the 1953 WOTW which was shown on TCM in July. Unfortunately, they digitally erased all the wires and included a new stereo remix using brand new (and obtrusive) sound effects. I'll skip any eventual home media release of this version.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I need a Human Vapor Blu-Ray from Arrow or Criterion so fucking badly.

Also The Abyss and True Lies need HD releases as well.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: Paramount has an HD transfer of the 1953 WOTW which was shown on TCM in July. Unfortunately, they digitally erased all the wires and included a new stereo remix using brand new (and obtrusive) sound effects. I'll skip any eventual home media release of this version.
Oh, what the hell. Are you kidding me? What is with studios doing this shit these days?

Guess I'll be sticking with the DVD release.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Terasawa wrote: Paramount has an HD transfer of the 1953 WOTW which was shown on TCM in July. Unfortunately, they digitally erased all the wires and included a new stereo remix using brand new (and obtrusive) sound effects. I'll skip any eventual home media release of this version.
That is beyond frustrating to hear. I hate it when companies Lucas up audio tracks.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I mean, I’m not against it in theory, as long as the original audio is included as an option too. I’m more pissed off about the revisionism in removing wires that have always been present and visible. But again, I don’t care as long as the original version shows up on video.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Aw man War of the Worlds hits hard. Huge fan of that “franchise” and paramount treats it like garbage.

They put a 4K restored version on iTunes but still no blu ray.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GoWhaleTours wrote:They put a 4K restored version on iTunes but still no blu ray.
Reportedly that 4K version is the same one TCM ran.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

King Kong Lives :(

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've been waiting for years for this film to be released on DVD, let alone Blu-ray:

*Cheaper to Keep Her (1981), Mac Davis' first starring film.

It's been on VHS only once from Media Home Entertainment and it's been out of print and unavailable on home video in any way, shape or form ever since.

The way I figure it, the only way that they're ever going to release it at all is when Davis dies.

Meanwhile, his first co-starring film, North Dallas Forty (1979), is already on DVD and has been for a long time now.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Is there a 4K version of The Room yet?

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I would really love for The Abyss to end up on Blu Ray. That's like the one film I am utterly baffled doesn't have a BR release.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.