What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: What Are Your Complaints About KOTM?

Post by BlankAccount »

Did someone seriously just say Monsterverse Mothra was on shotted? Most of her fighting was off-screen. Different problem.
attilagodzilla wrote:Atleast we got more than one minute of the camera focusing just on the Kaiju. KOTM felt the need to cut every few seconds
Huh?

This is the second time I've seen a comment like this and I really don't understand it. G2014 they cut away before we saw the monsters do their thing, KOTM felt like how Toho normally does it, a few second/minutes of the monsters fighting, cut away for the people to do their thing, cut back to the monster action. :eh:

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

ny biggest complaint is this, most of the monster action is in the background. Godzilla and Ghidorah run towards eachother, cut to people on the argo. Gidzilla slams Ghidorah through a building, cut to Mark and Emma searching for Madison. for me it felt like we just didn't see a lot of the monster battle. we certainly got way less than the toho movies

And tbh I actually prefered the battle in 2014 more than the battles in KOTM.
Maybe it just felt easier to follow idk. but somehow I was more satisfued with that battle what little it was compared to what we got in KOTM
Last edited by attilagodzilla on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Show me the Toho movie where the fights are made up entirely of short closeups LC.

The 2014 film was leagues more satisfying
Last edited by Orichalcum on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I hate to be the downer tbh. And well I have pretty low standars since FW is in my top 10 Godzilla movies. But I think summing it up the best I can, to me it felt like the human drama took more priority to the monster battle, G14 had this problem aswell. I guess maybe how the movie was cut made it more tolerable?
What we do see of the monster battles looks amazing, I guess I wish we could have just a few minutes more. Like even just 10 seconds more focusing fully on Mothra and Rodan's battle instead of showing them fly by in the background. Or a few seconds more of Ghidorah vs Rodan.
Maybe my opinion changes once I get the movie on dvd but for now I think the battles could have been done better
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

There's not an inherent problem with drama taking precedent, it's just really bad drama.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

:facepalm: are we seriously comparing kotm to final wars of all things
your source of self destruction

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

master_of_monsters wrote::facepalm: are we seriously comparing kotm to final wars of all things
Is it really surprising?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote::facepalm: are we seriously comparing kotm to final wars of all things
Is it really surprising?
yes

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

master_of_monsters wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Is it really surprising?
yes
:lol: .

I don't know what else to tell ya but......

TK forums man, it's the TK forums.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Is it really surprising?
yes
:lol: .

I don't know what else to tell ya but......

TK forums man, it's the TK forums.
well that says it all right there

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

People are comparing Godzilla movies to other Godzilla movies now? wtf happened to this place!?
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

GuardianGhido wrote: Well you do make some compelling points, but I guess it's more up to personal interpretation whether one considers Ghidorah overly malicious or just an incredibly aggressive animal. I myself notice a lot of malevolence coming from him, but that might not be the perception of everyone which is perfeclty fine. It's why a lot of these monsters actions and behaviors are shown and not told, so that we might think for ourselves on what they actually mean. It's also a part of what makes these giant monsters so unique as characters, instead of being humans that openly convey all of their thoughts and motivations through speech and relatibility, we have to read between the lines to understand what the monsters are thinking, and even then, not all of us would find the same meaning. In this case, I'm just going to agree to disagree. I respect the opinion of thinking Ghidorah is an animal with no real malice, but I personally feel differently. No offense or provocation intended if I came off that way, just saying we have differing opinions on the matter and I'm OK with that.

Thank you for the friendly discussion though, it's nice to participate in a civil and compelling discussion on matters we disagree on instead of tossing jabs back and forth like what usually happens in this forums. I really appreciate that.
Let me also thank you for the discussion and say you've been nothing but civil. I was just surprised and puzzled at the first posters response to my inquiry.

That said, I want to emphasize one thing here; I'm not wanting to think of Ghidorah as just an animal without malevolence. The reason I brought this up in the first place was because I felt that there was a distinct dissonance between what we were told and what we were shown. We're told that Ghidorah is evil but from what we see from his actions in the films, he didn't do anything that was that different from just another aggressive monster. You're absolutely correct in that it's very difficult in portraying a creature that isn't human or have easily read human qualities as evil. This means that the writers of the story need to think out of the box in showing such a thing. I feel that this just wasn't exemplified very well in this particular film.

So while I know that Ghidorah is usually depicted as an evil and malicious creature (like many here, I'm a lifelong Godzilla fan or at the very least, ever since I had consciousness of myself so I'm definitely no stranger to the films) if that isn't shown in the film or it's just indistinguishable from several other monsters and then I'm told to think he's an evil being or that he has some master plan, I just start to question that.
Smuggers wrote: Yeah, a lot of the stuff said on this topic reminds of people who are convinced that their dogs smile at them or that certain animals play with their food with malevolent intent. It's just projecting human qualities on an animal--one that isn't real in the first place to be sure, but I don't think it goes as deep as some people think. Ghidorah is clearly meant to be bad but he's not a cartoon character.
This is one of the reasons why I brought this up since I read it often but I just wasn't seeing it anywhere for the most part. Again, I know he's supposed to be the devil in terms of evil kaiju but I just wasn't seeing it to that high of a degree.

Well, it seems this part of the discussion has just about ended. I just hope this is sorted before the new film comes out. Though I will say that this was never a huge issue for me at all. Just something that I found really curious and a *bit* weird. There are other things that I want them to pay a lot more attention to.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

attilagodzilla wrote:ny biggest complaint is this, most of the monster action is in the background. Godzilla and Ghidorah run towards eachother, cut to people on the argo. Gidzilla slams Ghidorah through a building, cut to Mark and Emma searching for Madison. for me it felt like we just didn't see a lot of the monster battle. we certainly got way less than the toho movies

And tbh I actually prefered the battle in 2014 more than the battles in KOTM.
Maybe it just felt easier to follow idk. but somehow I was more satisfued with that battle what little it was compared to what we got in KOTM
The cuts away definitely pissed me off. It was the worst during the Rodan-Ghidorah parts. They cut to them fighting on a tv. They did it again!

Would have preferred they cut 75% of the human stuff if it meant giving us like 4 more minutes of Rodan or Rodan and Ghidorah fighting
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

well seeing how it is in my top 10 and I recently watched it and got more enjoyment out of it, yes I am.
Final wars for as bad as it is(wich I only noticed this time, last time I watched it was 12) managed to entertaine quite a bit..That's more than I can say of Kotm
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

You can actually make many parallels between the final fight in KOTM and GFW. Both start with Godzilla battling his foe one on one, Mothra joining the fight and having an aerial battle with an opponent. Then at the end Godzilla receives a power up to defeat his rival. All while the story cuts back and forth with the human cast of the film during the battle royal.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Just realized that this film was edited by the same guy who edited a majority of the Transformers movie and I think that shows

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

king_ghidorah wrote:Just realized that this film was edited by the same guy who edited a majority of the Transformers movie and I think that shows
Last time I compared GKOTM to Transformers, someone here tried to jump my shit for it :lol:

But in all seriousness, yeah, that makes a whole lot more sense now why all the battles were such a mess.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

szmigiel wrote:You can actually make many parallels between the final fight in KOTM and GFW. Both start with Godzilla battling his foe one on one, Mothra joining the fight and having an aerial battle with an opponent. Then at the end Godzilla receives a power up to defeat his rival. All while the story cuts back and forth with the human cast of the film during the battle royal.
The difference is, one of them has Don Frye and his crew kicking alien butt, the other has Mark and a couple of soldier running around yelling "MADISON!"
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Both GFW and KOTM attempt to make a certain kind of Hollywood film with Godzilla elements worked in.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Those two films are very closely linked.

As previously mentioned there’s the Hollywood aspect which creates a certain tone each film has.

There’s tons of superficial stuff too. Antarctic first battle. Mothra sacrificing herself to protect Godzilla. Final battle in a decimated city. Godzilla power up at the end.