The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Orichalcum »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Damn, never knew Godzilla was Nakajima's fursona
I cant breathe :lol:
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ultraman02 wrote:I don't think "mature" is a word I'll ever use in a forum revolving around 65+ year old series about men in fighting in rubber fursuits :shrug:.
But what do I know...
holy shit Godzilla is the first fursuit isn't it....
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Ultraman02 wrote:I don't think "mature" is a word I'll ever use in a forum revolving around 65+ year old series about men in fighting in rubber fursuits :shrug:.
But what do I know...
holy shit Godzilla is the first fursuit isn't it....
Naw, that credit goes to Wasei Kingu Kongu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Orichalcum wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
But what do I know...
holy poop Godzilla is the first fursuit isn't it....
Naw, that credit goes to Wasei Kingu Kongu
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
But what do I know...
I don't get how you guys didn't realize this, lol.
I don't think it was the oldest "Fursuit" (I could be wrong because I'm not a furry) since that Lost Kong movie had a man in a suit as well.
It's just a costume to me.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
But what do I know...

RIP Evan.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:You’ll never be half the critic Doug Walker is so ha.
Doug sucks now anyway so that's a good thing in my book. :lol:
Seems like part of the insult
Orichalcum wrote:Doug don’t suck, Doug scrape and lick :roll:
Formerly Chuck's
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Orichalcum wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote: Eh, this is a younger fan thing. I don’t pay too much attention to what they think because most of their thoughts and opinions haven’t matured yet.
Spoken like a true "adult".
Geez, you’re the last person who needs to comment on maturity :P

There was nothing wrong with what I said. You’re free to disagree with the topic but it is pretty cringey to label someone an elitist just because said person doesn’t agree with a personal taste in entries :shrug:
Oh good golly.....

So a young fans opinions doesn't matter? On movies about Godzilla because they aren't mature enough to grasp what exactly? How old is this "young fan" whose opinions people must dismiss because they are NOT mature enough to form an opinion that matters?

How old must a fan be in order for you to "accept" his opinion or thoughts on lets say Godzilla vs Megalon...?

In his 20's and up?

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

goji89 wrote:
Oh good golly.....

So a young fans opinions doesn't matter? On movies about Godzilla because they aren't mature enough to grasp what exactly? How old is this "young fan" whose opinions people must dismiss because they are NOT mature enough to form an opinion that matters?

How old must a fan be in order for you to "accept" his opinion or thoughts on lets say Godzilla vs Megalon...?

In his 20's and up?
Wow, way to totally misinterpret what I was even talking about :applause:

The conversation at hand was fans labeling others as “stuck up” or “elitists” because they favor one entry over another- in which it’s best to just ignore because they’re young and stuck in this “with us or against us” mentality. It passes when as they get older and realize that an opinion doesn’t always correlate to a personal attack.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Half of it is Bait though...
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Ultraman02 wrote:Half of it is Bait though...
When taken out of context, sure, but I don’t really see how since it was a direct response to someone talking about one user group flaming another because their personal tastes don’t match up, in which yeah, I think it’s best to ignore their comments.

If anyone’s baited, it’d be those guilty of throwing the snob term around because they don’t see eye to eye on a subject :shrug:
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Orichalcum wrote:
When taken out of context, sure, but I don’t really see how since it was a direct response to someone talking about one user group flaming another because their personal tastes don’t match up, in which yeah, I think it’s best to ignore their comments.

If anyone’s baited, it’d be those guilty of throwing the snob term around because they don’t see eye to eye on a subject :shrug:
I think thats the point people are trying to make. There is nothing wrong with preferring one film over another but I've seen an uptick in outright dismissal of people who prefer certain films in the series or people who don't "understand" certain films. Someone a few months ago said something along the lines or "only elite fans really understand xyz" and went on to say those types of fans shouldn't be welcome. That kind of mentality about our already niche series isn't welcoming of new fans and is the ultimate cringe.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Orichalcum wrote:

I think thats the point people are trying to make. There is nothing wrong with preferring one film over another but I've seen an uptick in outright dismissal of people who prefer certain films in the series or people who don't "understand" certain films. Someone a few months ago said something along the lines or "only elite fans really understand xyz" and went on to say those types of fans shouldn't be welcome. That kind of mentality about our already niche series isn't welcoming of new fans and is the ultimate cringe.
This is definitely a problem with all fanbases sadly, it’d be nice to unify since our community is so niche to begin with but I feel the whole “with us or against us” mentality is just the human way of behaving.

Everyone has their own little war they engage in I think. It’s all very philosophical :lol:
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Since I'm new to TK, I don't really know about this weird elitist thing (Maybe it was in some thread a while back).
I think this whole debacle seems to come from a looot of assumptions made on both parties.
I don't think it's OK to call someone a stuck up elitist just because someone doesn't like your movie (Personal experience), everyone has a different reason to go watch a film which is totally understandable and I will never get why people just don't accept it. But I think saying something like "I don’t pay too much attention to what they think because most of their thoughts and opinions haven’t matured yet" is being vague (Easily misinterpreted, Who are these young fans? Are all their thoughts and opinions not mature?) and dismissive of others opinions (Which is what these "younger fans" supposedly do to critics...).
From the few posts I've read on this site, I think everyone gave fair criticism for [that movie] but I think something outside happened that made everyone here a bit jaded.

Whatever, I'm not gonna touch on this subject again anyway (I still disagree with that bait thing though). If I just ramble on I feel like I'm just making more people mad and I think a little positivity goes a looong way for this site.

Also, dude, don't take this personally but...
Preview what you want to say first. 3 edits, lol.
Edit: Make that 5, LMAO.
Last edited by Ultraman02 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a super jet he comes
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I stand by my statement, if you wanna go around calling people snobs and eletists, your negative comments should be ignored because you’re obviously too immature to partake in a discussion.

As far as I can tell, the gatekeeping mostly died alongside old TK, so there’s no reason the term “elitist” should even be popping up anymore.
Also, dude, don't take this personally but...
Preview what you want to say first. 3 edits, lol.
Edit: Make that 5, LMAO.
I’ll revise my posts as much as I want to, thank you :lol:
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Orichalcum wrote:I stand by my statement, if you wanna go around calling people snobs and eletists, your negative comments should be ignored because you’re obviously too immature to handle a civil discussion.

As far as I can tell, the gatekeeping mostly died alongside old TK, so there’s no reason the term “elitist” should even be popping up anymore.
Dude I just gave you an example of snobbish elitism and you agreed with me. Now you are saying 2 posts later it "died" and it should be ignored? What?

If you are really denying there arent snobs and elitist in this fandom you truly aren't paying attention. Every fandom has them. I can easily handle a civil conversation so should I be ignored because I believe they exist?
SpaceG92 wrote:

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Dude I just gave you an example of snobbish elitism and you agreed with me. Now you are saying 2 posts later it "died" and it should be ignored? What?
If you are really denying there arent snobs and elitist in this fandom you truly aren't paying attention.
I agreed that gatekeeping is a thing, much like it is in every fanbase, not sure where this hostility in your tone is coming from?

I haven’t noticed any gatekeeping going on here currently so I guess I haven’t been paying much attention to every aspect of this place, especially from a month ago, sorry I guess? :|
I can easily handle a civil conversation so should I be ignored because I believe they exist
Last I checked, we’re talking about fans verbally flaming others by outright calling them elitists snobs, so not sure what your deal is.

I may have come off harsher than I intended to but my main point is that comments like that shouldn’t be taken too personally/to heart because they’re usually coming from younger fans who are just a bit heated at said moments.

I’d appreciate it if you weren’t trying to purposely misconstrue what I say, please and thank you.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Orichalcum wrote: I agreed that gatekeeping is a thing, much like it is in every fanbase, not sure where this hostility in your tone is coming from?

I haven’t noticed any gatekeeping going on here currently so I guess I haven’t been paying much attention to every aspect of this place, especially from a month ago, sorry I guess?
No hostility, but I'm just trying to keep up with the different things you are saying. You say every fandom has gatekeepers, then you say TK has no gatekeepers. See where my confusion lies? If anything your comments have not been very inclusive. Saying young people should be ignored because they haven't "matured" yet? Thats kind of cringey.
Orichalcum wrote:last I checked, we’re talking about fans verbally flaming others by outright calling them elitists snobs, so not sure what your deal is.
I have no deal. Lol you are coming off as very defensive. We are just having a "mature" debate on the internet. You specifically said that if you call people snobs and elitists you should be ignored because you are "too immature to handle a civil discussion" I'm contending that there are snobs and elitists in this fandom. So because I say that should I be ignored because I'm immature? When you in fact admitted that there are gatekeepers in every fandom?
Orichalcum wrote:I may have come off harsher than I intended to but my main point is that comments like that shouldn’t be taken too personally/to heart because they’re usually coming from younger fans who are just a bit heated at said moments.

I’d appreciate it if you weren’t trying to purposely misconstrue what I say, please and thank you.
I think the issue is you say one thing in one post and then kind of contradict yourself. You say there is gatekeeping, then you say there isn't. Im not trying to misconstrue. Just trying to understand. I know someone that was on these boards recently and they left because of all dismissing attitudes and holier than now bullshit. Maybe take a step back from the computer and realize how your posts come off to a younger fan or someone newer to the fandom. Its not very friendly
SpaceG92 wrote:

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

No hostility, but I'm just trying to keep up with the different things you are saying. You say every fandom has gatekeepers, then you say TK has no gatekeepers. See where my confusion lies?
I said there was no gatekeeping on TK currently, if I’m wrong, so be it, but I haven’t noticed it and it’s no where near as bad as it use to be.

You’re making this part into a bigger deal than needs to be.
Saying young people should be ignored because they haven't "matured" yet? Thats kind of cringey.
Yes, when misconstrued and taken out of context, yeah it does come off as cringey, but the point I was making was- flaming by calling someone a snob shouldn’t be taken seriously/to heart because it’s coming from a young hot headed fan who’s upset they’re not seeing eye to eye with someone, that’s what this whole conversation was even about in the first place but you’re choosing to misinterpret what I said and generalizing it as me saying their opinions on film should be dismissed, that’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying their personal opinions on who’s a snob and who isn’t should be dismissed.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Orichalcum wrote: I said there was no gatekeeping on TK currently, if I’m wrong, so be it, but I haven’t noticed it and it’s no where near as bad as it use to be.

You’re making this part into a bigger deal than needs to be.
I'm not making it a big deal. Again you are coming off as defensive. I don't know how long you have been here but I've been here since 2013 (and I've been going on Godzilla message boards since 1997) and its definitely worse now than before.
Orichalcum wrote:Yes, when misconstrued and taken out of context, yeah it does come off as cringey, but the point I was making was- flaming by calling someone a snob shouldn’t be taken seriously/to heart because it’s coming from a young hot headed fan who’s upset they’re not seeing eye to eye with someone, that’s what this whole conversation was even about in the first place but you’re choosing to misinterpret what I said and generalizing it as me saying their opinions on film should be dismissed, that’s not what I’m saying, I’m saying their personal opinions on who’s a snob and who isn’t should be dismissed.
i haven't even seen this "flaming" you speak of. Calling someone a "snob" is flaming now? People need to grow thicker skin it sounds like.

And I'm not misrepresenting you. I think you are now trying to backtrack on things you said. Since we are PM'ing lets take it there so we aren't clogging this thread up anymore.
SpaceG92 wrote: