Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by Stump Feet »

As someone else stated in the talkback thread, the hate stems from the fact this movie seems like it was written by a middle schooler.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:As someone else stated in the talkback thread, the hate stems from the fact this movie seems like it was written by a middle schooler.
"And then, the mutant turns good and blows up da base, and da King comes in and blows up an asteriod, but that asteriod is a monster, and then Gigan shows up and Mothra comes in and then we get a good scene of the humans fighting da aliens..."
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Yet is shares the same writer of as 4 of the 5 Millennium films.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

szmigiel wrote:Yet is shares the same writer of as 4 of the 5 Millennium films.
That’s true, but none of his other work really has the same level of stupidity. That’s really astonishing actually.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

For me most of Wataru Mimura movies are pretty mediocrity plotted, none stand out as really great stories. He is probably one of my least favorite writers in the franchise.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Stump Feet wrote:As someone else stated in the talkback thread, the hate stems from the fact this movie seems like it was written by a middle schooler.
I’d amend this to say it was written by a middle schooler who didn’t particularly like or understand Godzilla movies beyond “lol they’re cheesy.”
szmigiel wrote:Yet is shares the same writer of as 4 of the 5 Millennium films.
Mimura is also probably my least favorite writer, along with his sometimes collaborator Kashiwabara, but I don’t think he had much to do with this after Kitamura came in. I think Mimura and Tomiyama wrote the initial draft and Kitamura added all his bullshit to it along with his writers.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Terasawa wrote:
I’d amend this to say it was written by a middle schooler who didn’t particularly like or understand Godzilla movies beyond “lol they’re cheesy.”
As the person who stated it seems like it was written by a middle schooler I agree with this. I also thought it was by a kid who "hates the talky parts and Godzilla is so strong, no one can beat him!"

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Yes it is hard to determine what was Shogo Tomiyama and Wataru Mimura influences and what was Ryuhei Kitamura and Isao Kiriyama. In interviews Wataru Mimura stated he wrote the 1st draft of the script, and the storyline was not changed, but the nature of the characters and some words changed

If I was going to rank Wataru Mimura Godzilla films

Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Vs Megaguirus
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II

His only other film was Yamato Takeru which I haven't watched since watching on VHS in the 90s, I wasn't impressed, but hard to rank it without rewatching it, but it might be the bottom.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

szmigiel wrote:Yes it is hard to determine what was Shogo Tomiyama and Wataru Mimura influences and what was Ryuhei Kitamura and Isao Kiriyama. In interviews Wataru Mimura stated he wrote the 1st draft of the script, and the storyline was not changed, but the nature of the characters and some words changed

If I was going to rank Wataru Mimura Godzilla films

Godzilla Final Wars
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Vs Megaguirus
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla
Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II

His only other film was Yamato Takeru which I haven't watched since watching on VHS in the 90s, I wasn't impressed, but hard to rank it without rewatching it, but it might be the bottom.
On the scripts alone I would rank them:

G2K or GXMG
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
GXM
Yamato Takeru (This is a horrible, horrible movie and I think it’s mostly because the screenplay blows.)

I have no idea how to rank a screenplay like GFW. :lol: I guess maybe between MGII and GXM? It’s hard to see past Kitamura’s visual style and like you said it’s hard to tell just how much Mimura contributed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:I believe that the Hate is due to the great amount of action, the short battles and the little screen time Godzilla has in the film. Still, I do not see why they hate the movie, but who am I to question that.
great amount of action- it's mindless, pointless, and adds nothing to the story
short battles- length isn't an issue since they are so one sided they are hardly interesting
little screen time of Godzilla- doesn't matter how long he is on the screen, it's about how he is used in that time

I have a feeling you're a bit biased to this film so by all means enjoy it, I'm not gonna stop you
Last edited by Godzillian on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Monster Zero has Godzilla on screen for about six whole minutes and is beloved by the fandom, screentime has absolutely nothing to do with the hate GFW gets lol.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ozaki's got that lizard JUICED UP.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Ozaki's got that lizard JUICED UP.
Truth be told at first I thought this was a joke, but the more I thought about it I can imagine Gordon saying it.

I do have to say, in defense of the film, it strikes that spot of being dumb enough with one liners and characters like Gordon, that I can still like the film due to how stupid and possibly self aware it is. It’s different then something like KOTM in my eyes because it’s braindead but doesn’t have the audacity to pretend it’s some compelling film with a message.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla2004fan wrote:I believe that the Hate is due to the great amount of action, the short battles and the little screen time Godzilla has in the film. Still, I do not see why they hate the movie, but who am I to question that.
short battles- length isn't an issue since they are so one sided they are hardly interesting
little screen time of Godzilla- doesn't matter how long he is on the screen, it's about how he is used in that time

I have a feeling you're a bit biased to this film so by all means enjoy it, I'm not gonna stop you
If you mean that I underestimate the film, let me tell you that it's My favourite Godzilla film of them all.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:
Godzillian wrote:

If you mean that I underestimate the film, let me tell you that it's My favourite Godzilla film of them all.
I'm pretty sure that he meant that you overestimate it, not underestimate it. He said you were biased to it, not biased against it. Also, what possible reason would he have to think you underestimated it?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

How dare you underestimate the power of Godzilla: Final Wars

This isn’t even my final form!
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

Final Wars feels like an Ultraman movie...
I think that's why I like it.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ultraman02 wrote:Final Wars feels like an Ultraman movie...
I think that’s pretty unflattering for Ultraman.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Why?
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I was gonna say.......

Great minds think alike.

:shock: