Godzilla Power Hour. [1978-1979]

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Godzilla Power Hour. [1978-1979]

Post by cloverfan98 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Not only did Classic Media never release season 2, they never even licensed it from Toho, possibly because the license was expensive and they were unsure if it would sell well. Those episodes haven't been seen since Boomerang last aired them more than 15 years ago.

Was it really THAT expensive just to get the first season?! :shock:
I'd have to assume they had to pay Hanna Barbera for a license as well.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

cloverfan98 wrote:
I'd have to assume they had to pay Hanna Barbera for a license as well.
According to this article Toho has had sole ownership of the series for the last 15 years.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I watched re-runs of this show as a kid so I have huge nostalgia for it. I had a recording of Cartoon Network's Godzilla marathon on Super-Chunk. Sadly I tore up the tape (I'm still mad about it).

From a critical standpoint, this show is pretty bad. This show was clearly done during Hanna Barbara's darker times as the animation is very cheap and rushed. Godzilla's constant change of size from scene-to-scene is still a humorous error that my Dad and I like to joke about whenever this show is brought up. As for the roar, it's cool that it's Ted Cassidy, one of Hanna Barbara's recognizable voice talents, but his literal roar for Godzilla had a tendency to drill it's way into my skull after several episodes and get annoying. Godzooky never bothered me as a kid and he still doesn't bother me now. As for the laser beam eyes, I always assumed that Hanna Barbara added them because they couldn't give him his iconic atomic breath.

From a positive side though, the different monsters that Godzilla faced were pretty cool (one of my favorites was the Seaweed Monster), and like most Hanna Barbara cartoons it's simplistic story and premise makes it easy for kids just to sit down and watch it.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think there’s good reason why this show hasn’t had any sort of official rerelase by Toho. Beyond some brief really trippy plots and moments the show is really pandering towards kids, in the worst dumbed down way possible. In addition Godzilla sounds annoying with a guy just screaming into the mike. Add the laser vision and some other crap and you get the idea.

Not saying this should be completely ignored, but there’s a good reason why it’s not really talked about, and why Toho wouldn’t want to release it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

I used to watch this all of the time after school on Cartoon Network back in the late '90s.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I remember watching this show when it first came out and wondering why Minya could fly all of a sudden :lol:

The most nostalgic episodes for me are probably the one where he fought the fire bird living in the volcano and the one where Godzilla gets shrunk down and fights a spider.

Missed when they released all the episodes on DVD, would love to have a rewatch.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*