Primal (2019)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Primal (2019)

Post by LegendZilla »

Could Tartakovsky potentially do a good Godzilla cartoon? After all, look how well he handled Star Wars.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

This looks kind of crappy. The entire trailer is just "Ooh, look! Blood and gore!"

I love dinosaurs and all, but they're really appealing to the lowest common denominator here. Even the artstyle and animation look rushed and shoddily done. Feels like an animated grindhouse film.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The dinosaur designs are vaguely reminiscent of Ricardo Delgado's designs except much less detailed and slightly more stylized of course.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Vakanai wrote:Looks awesome, like Samurai Jack meets what little I've seen of Turok. So yeah, I'm all in.
2004Zilla wrote: and the Jon Favreau Walking With Dinosaurs-esque documentary
Say what now?
Variety wrote:
Apple has greenlit “Prehistoric Planet,” a natural-history series that will recreate the last days of the dinosaurs. Jon Favreau and “Planet Earth II” producer Mike Gunton are teaming on the series for Apple’s soon-to-launch streaming service. It will be produced by BBC Studios’ highly-regarded Natural History Unit, which is based in Bristol, England.

The show will use CGI to take viewers back in time, experiencing the wonders of planet Earth 66 million years ago. Double Academy Award winner Andrew R. Jones (“Avatar”) is also on the production team, as is producer Tim Walker (“Marooned with Ed Stafford”).

The big-ticket natural history order comes after Apple unveiled a starry slate for its upcoming Apple TV Plus streaming service, which launches this fall. News of its international plans, however, has been thin on the ground.

Natural history is also emerging as a battleground in the streaming landscape. Netflix has locked in big-name producer James Honeyborne (“Blue Planet II”), and is enjoying acclaim for its David Attenborough-narrated series “Our Planet.” Discovery recently unveiled plans for a factual SVOD service, powered by blue-chip fare produced by the BBC, after it inked a long-term deal with BBC Studios.
Should be interesting...

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hm. I'm not really feeling it to be honest. The art is pretty bad and it seems to have a worrying over-reliance on gore and shock value.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Well, I won't argue against the blood and shock value, because Samurai Jack season 5 sorta defaulted into that at times as well (Really, Genndy loves to have blood and bloody fluids on display, but because SJ was on CN, he had to settle for robot oil to get that fix.), but the art style is classic Genndy. Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack... maybe I just grew up with it, so I'm used to it, but really what I'm interested is seeing how much of a story he can convey with as few words as possible, something he was well known to do in many Samurai Jack episodes, even into season 5.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

I'm really pumped for this! The whole thing looks pretty promising and seems like a tribute to films like One Million Years B.C

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

EXTREMELY EXCITED FOR THIS!!!!

I loved Samurai Jack as a young child (still yet to see the new season that was released awhile back) and seeing a show by Samurai Jack's creator and with dinosaurs?! This could be my bread and butter!
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Truly awesome new trailer:

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Leviarex wrote:Truly awesome new trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UN616BFDA
Oh yeah. I am definitely going to enjoy this. :)
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Hmm so it's not just dinosaurs then. Seriously I really wonder if Ricardo Delgado had a hand in this. Something about this really reminds me of his Age of Reptiles work, especially his early stuff.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

The anticipation for this show will be the death of me.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Hmm so it's not just dinosaurs then. Seriously I really wonder if Ricardo Delgado had a hand in this. Something about this really reminds me of his Age of Reptiles work, especially his early stuff.
Genndy Tartakovsky is a big fan of Age of Reptiles and even did a foreword for the Omnibus so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a big influence on this series.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

I remember being a little kid watching cartoons and absolutely hating it when the protagonist killed the monster or an animal. So watching that guy shove a stone into that mammoth eye socket kinda brings back those feelings.

I'll pass on this.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I love this. I gotta wake up at 4 am when it premieres but I'll endure the sleep deprivation. also can I get a kaiju series like this, with the show not tell formula? I speculated something similar for the monsterverse but that was pretty much laughed off but I'd like to see something like that since I, personally anyway sympathize with monsters over humans 9 times out of 10
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ScootaVaran wrote:I remember being a little kid watching cartoons and absolutely hating it when the protagonist killed the monster or an animal. So watching that guy shove a stone into that mammoth eye socket kinda brings back those feelings.

I'll pass on this.
He's only doing it because him and his dinosaur buddy need to eat.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

This... Looks suspiciously like Korgoth.

....Which Genndy Tartakovsky was the lead animator and co-creator of.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

A new clip has been released.

Last edited by Dracosaurian on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just watched the first episode today on Kisscartoon.