King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by Gigantis »

Wow...this is the 60's alright! The plot shows :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I always thought the Japanese poster for the King Kong was pretty cool.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Living Corpse wrote:I'm really curious about the unmade Kong in Space film, do we have more details on what that film was gonna be about, like was Kong gonna wear space suit on the Moon defending a colony from aliens or be on an alien planet with breathable air, or is Kong going into outer space really all we know/as far as the concept ever went?
Okay! I finally have the time to write something up on this! xD

So, first off, it was never going to be a movie. "Space Kong" was a plan for a COMIC BOOK.

In the wake of the initial round of lawsuits between Cooper and RKO following KKvG, Cooper was left with only his rights to the original 1932 novel (which, at this time, it was not yet discovered had fallen into the public domain) so he started looking to get a comic book made. In 1966, Gold Key Comics approached Cooper about doing an adaptation of the novel and then a sequel series. Cooper had always been opposed to doing sequels and had rejected previous offers in the past, but was willing to work with Gold Key on the idea. Gold Key first suggested a series that would start with Jack and Ann's son, Carl's daughter, and Carl himself (made younger after another adventure led to him finding the Fountain of Youth) returning to Skull Island to find a new Kong. Cooper didn't like this idea (or the idea that Carl's daughter was the main hero).

Cooper's suggestion instead was to change the setting to space, where they'd find a prehistoric world filled with dinosaurs and a "reincarnated duplicate" of Kong. There was a bit of discussion back and forth going over the Fountain of Youth (renamed the "River of Youth") idea, the idea of travelling to a prehistoric planet or asteroid, and nailing down the characters (the disagreement over Cooper wanting Ann's son to be the main hero and Gold Key wanting Carl's daughter to be the main hero went on for the whole time this was discussed). LeMay's book publishes the letters that go back and forth, which I won't retype (they're fairly long). Cooper did sound like he hoped the comic book could lead to a TV Movie being produced based on the idea.

What ended up killing the whole thing was RKO stepping in to claim Cooper had to share profits from any comic book, which led to a whole other legal dispute that led to any follow-up to the Gold Key adaptation (which was made and published) to be abandoned.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Pkmatrix wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'm really curious about the unmade Kong in Space film, do we have more details on what that film was gonna be about, like was Kong gonna wear space suit on the Moon defending a colony from aliens or be on an alien planet with breathable air, or is Kong going into outer space really all we know/as far as the concept ever went?
Okay! I finally have the time to write something up on this! xD

So, first off, it was never going to be a movie. "Space Kong" was a plan for a COMIC BOOK.

In the wake of the initial round of lawsuits between Cooper and RKO following KKvG, Cooper was left with only his rights to the original 1932 novel (which, at this time, it was not yet discovered had fallen into the public domain) so he started looking to get a comic book made. In 1966, Gold Key Comics approached Cooper about doing an adaptation of the novel and then a sequel series. Cooper had always been opposed to doing sequels and had rejected previous offers in the past, but was willing to work with Gold Key on the idea. Gold Key first suggested a series that would start with Jack and Ann's son, Carl's daughter, and Carl himself (made younger after another adventure led to him finding the Fountain of Youth) returning to Skull Island to find a new Kong. Cooper didn't like this idea (or the idea that Carl's daughter was the main hero).

Cooper's suggestion instead was to change the setting to space, where they'd find a prehistoric world filled with dinosaurs and a "reincarnated duplicate" of Kong. There was a bit of discussion back and forth going over the Fountain of Youth (renamed the "River of Youth") idea, the idea of travelling to a prehistoric planet or asteroid, and nailing down the characters (the disagreement over Cooper wanting Ann's son to be the main hero and Gold Key wanting Carl's daughter to be the main hero went on for the whole time this was discussed). LeMay's book publishes the letters that go back and forth, which I won't retype (they're fairly long). Cooper did sound like he hoped the comic book could lead to a TV Movie being produced based on the idea.

What ended up killing the whole thing was RKO stepping in to claim Cooper had to share profits from any comic book, which led to a whole other legal dispute that led to any follow-up to the Gold Key adaptation (which was made and published) to be abandoned.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Same fan on youtube did this animation of the original King Kong. Looks pretty awesome. If I didn't know any better, I swear it was actual footage from the film! 8-)

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
I always thought the Japanese poster for the King Kong was pretty cool.
Japanese posters make ANYTHING look 10x better than it is.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Japanese posters make ANYTHING look 10x better than it is.
For real. Just look at the one for King Kong Lives!
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Komenja wrote:
Resized Image
Heck I think K:SI Japanese poster by artist Kaida Yuji is better than any of the western posters.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

^ That one is totally rad, but I think in K:SI's case I like the American poster more. Kong silhouetted against the sun and towering over mountains in the distance looks really striking and cool.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

It literally looks like the Godzilla Final Wars poster, not impressed.

I agree, the silhouette poster is the best.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

An alternate Japanese poster for King Kong Lives.

Japanese poster for the 1976 remake.

And I thought I throw in these two.

Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

And 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Just curious. Does anybody think a red-haired/furred Kong would work provided he was a young adult that was finished growing/was mostly full grown?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. Does anybody think a red-haired/furred Kong would work provided he was a young adult that was finished growing/was mostly full grown?
we already got one.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. Does anybody think a red-haired/furred Kong would work provided he was a young adult that was finished growing/was mostly full grown?
we already got one.

He looks far more brown then red to me.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

God, the Dino De Laurentiis Kong films are so weird. I don’t know whether to be bored by them, or to be amazed by just how awkward and horny they are.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Garzon wrote:God, the Dino De Laurentiis Kong films are so weird. I don’t know whether to be bored by them, or to be amazed by just how awkward and horny they are.
Be amazed. You'll be happier that way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I was very happy to see the original Kong on the big screen today, but I understand if people wanted to stay home what with the pandemic and all. With no confirmed cases in my area and a not insignificant amount of personal disinfectants at my disposal I decided to go to the earliest screening. Really enjoyed it. As I'vr found in several of these vintage re-releases, things like the discrepancies in composite images in these old effects films feel left noticeable on the big screen. I guess it's because when blown up so big you're concentrating on whatever the emphasis of the scene is, like King Kong smashing through the gate, and not something over to the side like the image bleeding through one of the doors (more noticeable when shrunk down on a TV screen and you can scrutinize the image as a whole).

Dino4ex
Samurai

Post by Dino4ex »

Rewatched the original at the Fathom event today. A joy to finally see it on the big screen.
Last edited by Dino4ex on Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giant Carnivorous Ants

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Komenja wrote:
Resized Image
Looking at this poster, and the other one posted on this page, the tag line is:
“世界映画使上の最高スーパーヒーローに帰ってくる!”

Or,
“The most supreme superhero in world cinema is returning!”

Just thought that was cool
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

King Kong: The Most Supreme Superhero" sounds cooler than King Kong: The Eighth Wonder of The World