Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Post by BlankAccount »

SG-17 wrote:Bad and cheesy Showa encompasses only a handful of films. Raids Again, Kong, Revenge, Gigan, Megalon. The rest of Showa era ranges from good to fantastic.

1954, Mothra vs, Invasion, DAM, and Mechagodzilla at the very least are fantastic, and what do you know but in three of them Godzilla is a hero.

Hero Godzilla is not bound to a specific level of quality or "cheesiness".
Adding to this cheese does not meant bad. I don't think things like super heroes and Ultraman would have endured if they took themselves serious 100% of the time.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Given how he’s been the most benevolent Godzilla since the 70s for 2 movies and 2 comics him doing a 180 would be very sudden and make no sense
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I'm completely against the idea of Monsterverse Godzilla becoming evil, it just doesn't sit well with me.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Godzilla being a punishment to humanity is ok to me. But after his "heroic" acts (killing MUTOs and Ghidorah) it would be hard to make Godzilla a villain.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

It completely goes against the character they've established, so I'm against it, but we can't pretend that the "for now" line was just thrown in on a whim without any intention of building off of that, movies just don't(or shouldn't) do that. Don't be fooled, that line was very intentional.

I can maybe see the Orca being used against Godzilla, turning him crazy for a brief period of time during GvK, but not changing his entire character.
Last edited by scottzilla on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

scottzilla wrote:It completely goes against the character they've established, so I'm against it, but we can't pretend that the "for now" line was just thrown in on a whim without any intention of building off of that, movies just don't(or shouldn't) do that. Don't be fooled, that line was very intentional.

I can maybe see the Orca being used against Godzilla, turning him crazy for a brief period of time during GvK, but not changing his entire character.
I think you just discovered why Godzilla and Kong will fight even off Skull Island.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

character change? lol. it’s just an instinct for self-preservation and the realization that humanity is the same threat as muto or ghidorah. This is a good and absolutely logical motivation. Especially for an animal

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Given how he’s been the most benevolent Godzilla since the 70s for 2 movies and 2 comics him doing a 180 would be very sudden and make no sense
Yeah, you can't change him now.

I can see maybe backing off the "our best friend" a little, make a bit less concerned about human collateral and more of a "defending his territory" type, but you can't just switch him to old-school Godzilla and have him start wiping out cities at this point.

Maybe there can be a revelation by the humans that Godzilla isn't happy with what we're doing to the planet at some point, but that's it.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I mean, humanity just needs to piss him off and there you go
your source of self destruction

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

master_of_monsters wrote:I mean, humanity just needs to piss him off and there you go
I mean, if humanity can throw the Oxygen Destroyer at him and he still has the patience of a saint, than nothing can piss him off lol

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Gojira18 wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:I mean, humanity just needs to piss him off and there you go
I mean, if humanity can throw the Oxygen Destroyer at him and he still has the patience of a saint, than nothing can piss him off lol
wow, you really do mellow with age
your source of self destruction

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

master_of_monsters wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
wow, you really do mellow with age
Guess that's what happens when you lay dormant for over 1 million years :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gojira18 wrote:
Heck the first thing he did when he saw the Male MUTO at the airport was roar at him and then smirk. At the rival species that played a part in killing off his own species. And he even allows a female MUTO to be part of his pack. The worst we've seen him be pissed is King Ghidorah, the mere sight cause the two to scowl at each other.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

This, by the way, is what I don't like about LG the most. He creates the image of some kind of calm old man who suffers all the attacks on him, although in classical films, on the contrary, he was a rather rude and fervent pangolin with a bad character

Added in 4 minutes 5 seconds:
Gojira18 wrote:
Godzilla hardly understood at all that it was people who threw the oxygen destroyer at him. At that moment, he was fighting with Ghidorah under water and he hardly understood what was happening at all

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Eel221 wrote:Godzilla being a punishment to humanity is ok to me. But after his "heroic" acts (killing MUTOs and Ghidorah) it would be hard to make Godzilla a villain.
I had this day dream of the humans killing Godzilla's son accidentally in an attack and he just rains hellfire upon a city like Shin Godzilla. And walks straight into the ocean in disappointment and regret.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

I like to think if humanity ever went too far and completely disrupted the balance of the world in a Ghidorah or MUTO horde level, or proved to be enough of a threat to him for him not to fight back. he'd go full Godzilla Earth on them and drive them off the planet. Maybe a third world war that destroys large landmasses full of natural wonders or an open oxygen destroyer attack on him that he witnesses to be the humans' doing would piss him off enough to consider them a real enemy instead of tiny creatures that barely do anything to the planet (at least compared to the titans' healing effects which are stated to already be overriding global warming ice cap melting and deforestration by KOTM's ending)

There's also another reason he wasn't pissed off completely at the oxygen destroyer, it was aimed at Ghidorah and there was no way anyone would know it wouldn't harm him as well. Even if he did realize that the OD was a human weapon, maybe he just thought that they were aiming for Ghidorah instead of him and didn't hold that against them too much. (He also furiously glared at the humans waiting for him on the surface, I like to think that the OD made him more wary of the humans because if they can do that, ignoring them is not an option. But then he decided they weren't completely at fault and were aiming at Ghidorah too, so he let it slide...for now, as Dr. Chen said)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I had this day dream of the humans killing Godzilla's son accidentally in an attack and he just rains hellfire upon a city like Shin Godzilla. And walks straight into the ocean in disappointment and regret.
Hey, this sounds interesting! Probably one of the few ways to make a "good" Godzilla angry.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

No.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I don't think he should necessarily be a villain, but just be indifferent to humans. If he has to stomp 1000 people to get to Ghidorah, do it. Makes me think of how Gamera torched Shibuya to kill the three Gyoas in Gamera 3.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If Jonah and his Eco-Crew took refuge in a building after hitting Godzilla with some super weapon, it'd be a cool callback to his old persona if Godzilla just goes to town on the whole building and as Jonah tries to escape on a Bullet train, Godzilla homages 54 by picking up and destroying the train in his jaws.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira