What Non-Godzilla Toho Films Do You Still need to Watch?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

What Non-Godzilla Toho Films Do You Still need to Watch?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Pretty self-explanatory, but isn't out of everything they produced. For me:

-War in Space
-Japan Sinks (I have a DVD without subs)
-Vampire Doll
-Evil of Dracula
-The Three Treasures
-E.S.P.Y.
-Stairway of Evil
-Vampire Moth
-Haunted School 1,2,3
-Bye Bye Jupiter
-Mikaandriod
-Some of the horror stuff from he 1990`-2000`s: One missed call
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Non-Godzilla Toho Films Do You Still need to Watch?

Post by Stump Feet »

You forgot all the Young Guy and Crazy Cat flicks

Holy shit, I just remembered you’re in Japan, those movies have never been released before in America, you should totally try to find em.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:You forgot all the Young Guy and Crazy Cat flicks

Holy poop, I just remembered you’re in Japan, those movies have never been released before in America, you should totally try to find em.
Down the line I intend to. There's a ton of "showa aesthetic" films that I would probably like just for familiar faces and styles, which I'll look into.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m interested in watching anything Toho produced during Japan’s golden age, so that’s at least a couple hundred movies I haven’t seen. However there are very few fantasy and FX films from that period (‘50s to early ‘70s) that I haven’t seen, and mostly because they haven’t been subtitled yet.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Those two series play a bigger part in Toho’s history and output than Godzilla and other science fiction flicks, I hope you can manage to track em’ down somewhere

They need subbed.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I’m interested in watching anything Toho produced during Japan’s golden age, so that’s at least a couple hundred movies I haven’t seen. However there are very few fantasy and FX films from that period (‘50s to early ‘70s) that I haven’t seen, and mostly because they haven’t been subtitled yet.
By any chance have you seen Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell?

Yeah I need to move beyond the film output of Toho. Unfortunately there isn't that easy an output or easily accessible list of films by Daiei or other studios like there is for Toho.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:By any chance have you seen Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell?
Yes I have.
Yeah I need to move beyond the film output of Toho. Unfortunately there isn't that easy an output or easily accessible list of films by Daiei or other studios like there is for Toho.
In addition to that, unfortunately, a lot of Japanese catalog titles are unavailable on home video.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Basically everything that's not sci-fi/fantasy with some exceptions from Kurosawa and Naruse. I'm really interested in Honda's non-sci-fi output outside of Eagle of the Pacific and Farewell Rabaul. I have Good Luck To These Two yet I doubt it's ever going to be subtitled. With how rare his (and numerous other Toho films like Terasawa noted) movies are, at some point I'm gonna have to learn Japanese and live in Japan just to watch the stuff that doesn't even get digital home video releases.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Still need to watch Mysterians, Atragon, Matango, Battle in Outer Space, Gorath, and a few others. I have most of them on DVD just haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Still of Toho's non Godzilla related toku output my favorite so far is Latitude Zero. It really just has that fun camp 60s vibe ala Adam West's Batman and The Avengers.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I have yet to see Atragon or Gorath.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I haven't seen the Mortha Leo movies, but I am interesting in giving them a shot.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Your list is desperately missing Blue Christmas, LSD...unless you’ve already seen it.

Assuming we’re just going with SFX films, I’ll admit that most stuff after 1980 or so doesn’t hold nearly as much interest to me. So stuff like the School of Ghosts movies, I honestly have little desire to watch (Not that I wouldn’t be willing to give them a chance if given the opportunity, they’re just not a priority). I still need to see Sayonara Jupiter and Gunhed, which are still sometimes listed among the “classic” titles. Tokyo Blackout looks quite interesting, but I don’t think that’s subbed.

As for the classic (53 - 80) stuff, using this list as a guideline (https://www.listchallenges.com/how-many ... -1953-1984), I have seen pretty much everything subbed, with the exception of a few war films (Battle of Japan Sea, Zero Fighter and Zero are I believe the only ones with subs that I still need to watch, though Imperial Navy’s dub is available too), those two Mifune “Daredevil” movies and Hi no Tori. I have access to all those, I just haven’t gotten around to watching them yet. There’s still some real interesting looking stuff like Crazy Adventure, Terror in the Streets and Conflagration, but I’d rather wait for subtitled copies to possibly appear.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Your list is desperately missing Blue Christmas, LSD...unless you’ve already seen it.

Assuming we’re just going with SFX films, I’ll admit that most stuff after 1980 or so doesn’t hold nearly as much interest to me. So stuff like the School of Ghosts movies, I honestly have little desire to watch (Not that I wouldn’t be willing to give them a chance if given the opportunity, they’re just not a priority). I still need to see Sayonara Jupiter and Gunhed, which are still sometimes listed among the “classic” titles. Tokyo Blackout looks quite interesting, but I don’t think that’s subbed.

As for the classic (53 - 80) stuff, using this list as a guideline (https://www.listchallenges.com/how-many ... -1953-1984), I have seen pretty much everything subbed, with the exception of a few war films (Battle of Japan Sea, Zero Fighter and Zero are I believe the only ones with subs that I still need to watch, though Imperial Navy’s dub is available too), those two Mifune “Daredevil” movies and Hi no Tori. I have access to all those, I just haven’t gotten around to watching them yet. There’s still some real interesting looking stuff like Crazy Adventure, Terror in the Streets and Conflagration, but I’d rather wait for subtitled copies to possibly appear.
I saw the trailer the other day and I really want to watch it!

For those that are unaware:

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Gorath
Half Human
The Prophecies of Nostradamus
The Last War
The Human Vapor

There are a few others I haven't seen like The War in Space and Gunhed but everyone says they're terrible so I'm not gonna waste the time to track them down.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

GUNHED's US cut is pretty terrible and beyond edited and choppy, but the aesthetic of it's world and cinematography is really cool.

The Human Vapor is among my favorite non kaiju Toho flicks, a lot of good drama and emotional weight.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The English version of GUNHED (which was commissioned by Toho) is structurally identical to Toho's version so you can blame the Japanese editor for the choppy feel.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Terasawa wrote:The English version of GUNHED (which was commissioned by Toho) is structurally identical to Toho's version so you can blame the Japanese editor for the choppy feel.
Seriously? That's disappointing and strange at the same time.

I wonder why...
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Rhedosaurus wrote:I haven't seen the Mortha Leo movies, but I am interesting in giving them a shot.
Don't go in expecting very much and you might find some enjoyment out of them. The monsters at least are pretty cool.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I haven't seen the Mortha Leo movies, but I am interesting in giving them a shot.
Don't go in expecting very much and you might find some enjoyment out of them. The monsters at least are pretty cool.
That one toxic dragon does look pretty cool. And I hear that he's as tough as he looks as well.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Poor under represented Dagarah.