The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by Gigantis »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:..Actually nevermind,i get why there upset now. Still i don't see why this made them boycott the movie when they can just separate the art from the artist
Why would you watch a film starring someone who supports an authoritarian regime? You can't willy nilly ignore the lead in the film, watching it actively helps them and their cause out.
well to be fair,most said the same thing for Captain Marvel and Brie Larson's SJW agenda yet some still went...

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yes, SJWs are literally police brutality.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That's not what he was saying. Only the principle, "You can't willy nilly ignore the lead in the film, watching it actively helps them and their cause out."
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dang what was I thinking writing that comment? You guys are right 100%.

And honestly,I wasn't interested in seeing the film anyway,but if there was even the chance I'd reconsider it's gone now.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wow how surprising-

Said no one ever.
https://screenrant.com/disney-accused-i ... tleblower/
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Wow how surprising-

Said no one ever.
https://screenrant.com/disney-accused-i ... tleblower/
Oh man. Just as Gfan90s leaves. This is some ammo for him
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Honestly you guys, I am getting used to the fact Disney owns Marvel.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Well... that's not a good sign, Hong Kong being against the new Mulan movie. I'll need to look into it, but Disney seems to have screwed up big time... twice given the Spiderman thing going on too.

Added in 31 minutes 34 seconds:
Zarm wrote:That's not what he was saying. Only the principle, "You can't willy nilly ignore the lead in the film, watching it actively helps them and their cause out."
Enjoying a film the lead is in does not in of itself mean you support their political views. You can enjoy a movie and not see to eye with the people in it. Okay, I looked up the controversy... so Liu Yifei has no right to have her own beliefs, I guess. She had guts to make it clear on how she feels about her country's police knowing people would get upset with her.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think everyone has the right to espouse their beliefs. But, consumers also have the right to boycott companies or products based on the beliefs espoused by those involved. It would be far from the first time that's happened.

And I'm not even saying that I call for a boycott here, I don't even know the statements made. I was just saying that this was the statement being made, not the false comparrison that was being attributed to tyrantgoji.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HillyHulk wrote: so Liu Yifei has no right to have her own beliefs, I guess. She had guts to make it clear on how she feels about her country's police knowing people would get upset with her.
She made a statement about the Hong Kong police; she’s Chinese.

“Pursuant to the one country, two systems principle, HKPF remains independent of the jurisdiction of the of Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China, which may not interfere with Hong Kong's local law enforcement affairs. All HKPF officers are employed as civil servants and hence required to uphold their political neutrality.”

So really it’s a Chinese citizen making a statement about something her country isn’t supposed to have any involvement in.

There have been claims that her post was part of a coordinated Chinese government movement to further escalate the Hong Kong situation. So I think the citizens of Hong Kong are well within their rights to criticize her for her statements.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Did people seriously not like Will Smith as Genie? Seems like a really good role for him, how unnecessary a live action version of Aladdin is aside.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Fish Cakes wrote:Did people seriously not like Will Smith as Genie? Seems like a really good role for him, how unnecessary a live action version of Aladdin is aside.
I didn't care for it, but he was far from the worst thing about that movie. That title goes to Jafar.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Terasawa wrote:
HillyHulk wrote: so Liu Yifei has no right to have her own beliefs, I guess. She had guts to make it clear on how she feels about her country's police knowing people would get upset with her.
She made a statement about the Hong Kong police; she’s Chinese.

“Pursuant to the one country, two systems principle, HKPF remains independent of the jurisdiction of the of Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China, which may not interfere with Hong Kong's local law enforcement affairs. All HKPF officers are employed as civil servants and hence required to uphold their political neutrality.”

So really it’s a Chinese citizen making a statement about something her country isn’t supposed to have any involvement in.

There have been claims that her post was part of a coordinated Chinese government movement to further escalate the Hong Kong situation. So I think the citizens of Hong Kong are well within their rights to criticize her for her statements.
First of all, without evidence (I'll look that up later), that's all they are; claims. There is no evidence she really meant to worsen what's going on.

Second of all... so? She has the right to support whatever she feels should be supported, regardless of her race. Judging someone's opinion based on their race is racist, quite frankly.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:Did people seriously not like Will Smith as Genie? Seems like a really good role for him, how unnecessary a live action version of Aladdin is aside.
I didn't care for it, but he was far from the worst thing about that movie. That title goes to Jafar.
Oh yeah. Jafar was AWFUL in this movie :lol: . I actually really liked Will. He didn't just copy Robin's preformance and had his own flare to things.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't think anyone is judging her opinion because of her race, itself. I think they're looking at the situation in Hong Kong and China, and seeing the "side" she is taking, and judging her based on that, and how her opinion effects the situation at hand. The Chinese government influencing media isn't exactly a new thing, and I think people have an issue with people siding with China in this scenario.

And, as Zarm said, sure she has the right to support whatever she wants to. But, in turn, people have the right to not support *her*. Door swings both ways.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:I don't think anyone is judging her opinion because of her race, itself. I think they're looking at the situation in Hong Kong and China, and seeing the "side" she is taking, and judging her based on that, and how her opinion effects the situation at hand. The Chinese government influencing media isn't exactly a new thing, and I think people have an issue with people siding with China in this scenario.

And, as Zarm said, sure she has the right to support whatever she wants to. But, in turn, people have the right to not support *her*. Door swings both ways.
That is true, but the lengths they're going to punish her (and as a result of how they're doing it, everyone associated with her in the production of the "Mulan" film regardless of whether or not they agree with her in the first place) just for what she thinks is ludicrous.

As far as the whole "Chinese Government influencing media" thing goes, they're not siding with China, just this one person. One individual doesn't represent the entirety of their country just by being a part of it.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

HillyHulk wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I don't think anyone is judging her opinion because of her race, itself. I think they're looking at the situation in Hong Kong and China, and seeing the "side" she is taking, and judging her based on that, and how her opinion effects the situation at hand. The Chinese government influencing media isn't exactly a new thing, and I think people have an issue with people siding with China in this scenario.

That is true, but the lengths they're going to punish her (and as a result of how they're doing it, everyone associated with her in the production of this film regardless of whether or not they agree with her in the first place) just for what she thinks is ludicrous.

As far as the whole "Chinese Government influencing media" thing goes, they're not siding with China, just this one person. One individual doesn't represent the entirety of their country just by being a part of it.
I don't think it's ludicrous just to say "I'm not seeing this movie."

And when did I anything about her opinion being a representation of the entirety of China's population, or any other "they"? There seems to be a lot of projection going on here. All I said was that people have a right to disagree with her opinion, she has a right to have it, and that people might have an issue with Chinese Government propaganda with what is going on in the current political climate.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Maritonic wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:

That is true, but the lengths they're going to punish her (and as a result of how they're doing it, everyone associated with her in the production of this film regardless of whether or not they agree with her in the first place) just for what she thinks is ludicrous.

I don't think it's ludicrous just to say "I'm not seeing this movie."

And when did I anything about her opinion being a representation of the entirety of China's population, or any other "they"? There seems to be a lot of projection going on here. All I said was that people have a right to disagree with her opinion, she has a right to have it, and that people might have an issue with Chinese Government propaganda with what is going on in the current political climate.
Sorry, that's what it seemed to me given the phrasing and how you described China influencing media.

Also, I guess I can understand that when I think about it (I've done that too with "Captain Marvel", after all).

Added in 22 minutes 30 seconds:
One last thing before I drop this and move on: disagreeing with her opinion is not wrong. Demonizing it is ( just looked up some more about the topic and that's what it looks like to me. I could be exaggerating, though, since this seems to be what's happening since they seem to believe she supports police brutality).
Last edited by HillyHulk on Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HillyHulk wrote:First of all, without evidence (I'll look that up later), that's all they are; claims. There is no evidence she really meant to worsen what's going on.

Second of all... so? She has the right to support whatever she feels should be supported, regardless of her race. Judging someone's opinion based on their race is racist, quite frankly.
What the fuck? Where did I say anything about race or disregarding her opinion because of her race?

Anyway if you want evidence, I’d suggest Variety’s article:
But comparable Chinese nationalist troll accounts continue to proliferate on Twitter, and “Mulan” star Liu has become their mascot and muse since she re-posted a meme last week from the Communist Party mouthpiece, the People’s Daily, that said: “I support the Hong Kong police,” along with a heart emoji. Her post on Weibo went up the day after the U.N. Human Rights office accused the police of “employing less-lethal weapons in ways that are prohibited by international norms and standards.”
In short, the *official* newspaper of China’s ruling political party tweets a statement supporting HKPD (current law states China may have no political involvement in the affairs of HKPD) and Liu retweets it. Yes, she’s entitled to her opinion, but that doesn’t mean she’s right. She’s now vouched her support for an organization which the UN itself has accused of human rights violations.

The Variety article goes on to state that there’s ample evidence of “state-run bots” using the upcoming film to antagonize and victimize the Hong Kong protestors.

But yeah I’m sure I’m just a racist somehow, lmao.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Damn, an elitist and a racist? Your reputation keeps growing Terasawa, I bet you hate puppies too.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting