Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Living Corpse wrote:Well since a Shin Ultraman film was announced, seems fitting I announce this. I'm a filthy casual when it comes to Ultraman. I've seen every Godzilla, Gamera and King Kong film but when it comes to Ultraman I've only seen a handful of things. There's just so many shows and movies I get overwhelmed, I almost suspect I'm gonna die before I ever catch up.
I'm a casual too. I've owned the Ultraman series since 2015 or so and i still haven't watched it.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm mostly a casual. I've seen the original, Ultraseven, Ultraman Gaia, and Nexus in their entirety and am in the process of watching Ultra Q and Neo Ultra Q. That said I don't really have any interest in the overly toyetic nature of the post Ultra Galaxy series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Marp
Yojimbo

Post by Marp »

I've been meaning to get into Ultraman but there's so much of it and it can be hard to find, y'know? Especially for a UK dweller like me where DVDs and Blu-rays of non-modern kaiju films are scarce. I try to avoid piracy as much as I can so I can ensure I have something to line up, hopefully my plans of getting a region free blu-ray player and Mill Creek's new Ultra Series Blu-rays will change that.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'm mostly a casual. I've seen the original, Ultraseven, Ultraman Gaia, and Nexus in their entirety and am in the process of watching Ultra Q and Neo Ultra Q. That said I don't really have any interest in the overly toyetic nature of the post Ultra Galaxy series.
I would say watching the original and Ultraseven and the rest you mentioned makes you more then a casual. There’s so much it’s hard to digest...

Anyways I might get back on the Ultraman train to finish up the remaining series I have left and watch them raw for Japanese practice.

My Kaiju confession now is I don’t wish I was a 60’s kid, but I wish I could live in some of the showa era movies with their aesthetics. 8-)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Ultraman is just so much stuff that only the most dedicated of fans would even think about watching all of it IMO. I myself have only watched Original, Seven, Tiga and Gaia.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GuardianGhido wrote:Ultraman is just so much stuff that only the most dedicated of fans would even think about watching all of it IMO. I myself have only watched Original, Seven, Tiga and Gaia.
i saw Q,the original,Seven,Jack,some of Ace and Taro,Mebius,Max,Nexus and Tiga. That's the farthest i've ever got. Planning to watch more of Ace and Taro soon,and i also wanna get into Gaia

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I've seen the original series, Ultraman Nexus, and 2 of the movies, one was Ultraman: The Next, and one with Belia (SP?). I wanna get into Ultraman Orb (yes I'm aware of how toyline-y that show is). I have the PS2 game based on the original series, you guys should play it if you haven't, it's a lot of fun.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I've seen half of the original series and one episode of Max (the one where he forgets how to be an Ultra). I've also seen a bunch of the fights from different series on YouTube.

I gravitate more to collecting the Ultra Monster Series figures before they downsized them with the 500 line. Some of those vinyls that came out in the early 2000's are some of the best kaiju vinyls I've ever seen.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

for some reason I have oy watched Gamera 3
I watched Godzilla as a kid and was sold on it, but somehow Gamera doesn't really spark my interest, even if I like Gamera 3
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While it’s no Kaiju Kino, Yamato Takeru is pretty great and is severely under appreciated on this site.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:While it’s no Kaiju Kino, Yamato Takeru is pretty great and is severely under appreciated on this site.
Watched it once without subs, couldn’t understand a lick of it :lol:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Eh Yamato Takeru was kinda boring. The sword fights were pretty clunky too. The human action in Toho's Heisei era toku films was largely underwhelming, even as late as Final Wars. I mean look at the quality of the fight scenes in GFW compared to other films directed by Kitamura. They look pretty lame in comparison.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I wasn’t a big fan of it honestly from what I could grasp, I feel like The Three Treasures would be more up my ally.
Long Live The Sting

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GuardianGhido wrote:Ultraman is just so much stuff that only the most dedicated of fans would even think about watching all of it IMO. I myself have only watched Original, Seven, Tiga and Gaia.
Ultraman has more lives than a cat, so kudos to you if you can see all of it. As for myself, I've seen little of him. I have the original series, and have watched Great and some of Tiga.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Despite being one of the Godzilla franchise's biggest fans, I'm actually rooting for The Dragonzord in the upcoming death battle against Mechagodzilla. Why though I can't really say.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Leviarex wrote:Despite being one of the Godzilla franchise's biggest fans, I'm actually rooting for The Dragonzord in the upcoming death battle against Mechagodzilla. Why though I can't really say.
Are you even allowed to say that here?
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Leviarex wrote:Despite being one of the Godzilla franchise's biggest fans, I'm actually rooting for The Dragonzord in the upcoming death battle against Mechagodzilla. Why though I can't really say.
Probably cause Power Rangers are OP.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Kinda depends on which incarnation they use tbh. I can see Early Showa, GMK (the guy would make a great Power Rangers villain) or 84goji losing. The likes of Legendary, Shin, Final or Earth however, they wouldn't stand a chance.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

GuardianGhido wrote:Kinda depends on which incarnation they use tbh. I can see Early Showa, GMK (the guy would make a great Power Rangers villain) or 84goji losing. The likes of Legendary, Shin, Final or Earth however, they wouldn't stand a chance.
It's Kiryu.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

GuardianGhido wrote:Kinda depends on which incarnation they use tbh. I can see Early Showa, GMK (the guy would make a great Power Rangers villain) or 84goji losing. The likes of Legendary, Shin, Final or Earth however, they wouldn't stand a chance.
MECHAGODZILLA vs. Dragonzord, not Godzilla
Long Live The Sting