Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by _JNavs_ »

Your Boy Leroy wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Your Boy Leroy wrote:Any tips from you experts about applying washes? I’ve been fiddling around with repainting the Neca G’19. I got the eyes just how I want them and repainted the gums, but I screwed up on the gums and had to repaint the entire face. I’m looking to get it back to the original look, minus the Dollar Store eyes and Deliverance teeth.
You'd have to blend the body color with the head and neck. so I'd do a base coat of whatever color you like best, then applying a watery wash of a darker color such as black to get all in between the crevices. Afterwards you could hit it with a dry brushing, to really solidify the finished product.
Thanks! I’ll give it another go.
No problem! Be careful with the eyes, try not to get the watery wash in the socket. I had to redo the eyes twice because they got "washed" out by the black :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon May 27, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Hahahaha yeah, that's exactly what happened to mine. Gonna have to touch those back up.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

godzilla1541 wrote:A brand called Apple barrel
You know -

I just picked up Apple Barrel today and used it on the Jakks Rodan. Liking the results so far. Comes out a hair to thick for my tastes but a drop of water is usually enough for me. Might swap over to Apple Barrel for vinyl figures if Rodan comes out nicely.

In the process of finishing up Rodan's base coat. Just need it to dry and then I can apply the last layer and then top coat it.

======================
Keeping a log of what I use, and what I did for now on. In case I forgot or someone wants to replicate my results or to follow along :P They have the materials.
Click -> http://fav.me/dd8e57b

Resized Image
Resized Image
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

How long did rodans base coat take you to paint?

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Spam time lol.
Neca Godzilla 2019 Repaint
Jakks Mothra And Rodan repaints
NECA Godzilla 1954 Repaint
Neca Godzilla 1962 Repaint

Added in 6 days 13 hours 41 minutes 32 seconds:
Legitimately think these two are my best Repaints Image

Added in 8 days 10 hours 40 minutes 12 seconds:
Desghidorah repaint Image ImageImage
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

I’m looking for Some Constructive Criticism on my Repaints/ Custom Figures. I want to know what you Guys think I can improve on, so I can act on that and Change what needs Changing. Doesn’t have to be on a specific figure, but more on what you feel my Quality of work is overall and what I can do to improve.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm not really sure I see anything that really needs improving. The Death Ghidorah looks amazing as does the NECA 54 and 62.

Probably the only thing I'd say to work on is your detail work like with the Jakks Mothra. It looks good but the strokes on the wings are a bit too large and it looks kind of sloppy. Try to maybe use multiple sizes of brushes for that kind of work. Otherwise, I don't think I really have much else to say. Thin your paints, multiple coats, yadda yadda the usual. I'm not the best at painting so I can't say too much.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

UltramanGoji wrote:I'm not really sure I see anything that really needs improving. The Death Ghidorah looks amazing as does the NECA 54 and 62.

Probably the only thing I'd say to work on is your detail work like with the Jakks Mothra. It looks good but the strokes on the wings are a bit too large and it looks kind of sloppy. Try to maybe use multiple sizes of brushes for that kind of work. Otherwise, I don't think I really have much else to say. Thin your paints, multiple coats, yadda yadda the usual. I'm not the best at painting so I can't say too much.
Thanks for the feedback! Mothra was done before I had more than like 3 different brushes so I can clearly see where she needs improvement. I’ll probably redo her one of these days now that Kotm is out and I can get good reference photos. I’ll be sure to use thinner paints next time so I don’t get those streaks in the paint
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Gave Godzilla some new teeth. Image Image

Repainted mothras Face and body. Image Image

Steel Hellkite
Samurai

Post by Steel Hellkite »

Oh, that is a massive improvement on mothra. Actually brings the sculpt out, and makes her look a bit less like some sci-fi channel wasp monster than the old paint. Very nice work. Especially considering the size. That's warhammer tier there.
Last edited by Steel Hellkite on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

space godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by space godzilla »

I absolutely LOVE that Desghidorah.
Against all the evil that Hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will send unto them... only you. Rip and tear, until it is done. - King Novik, DOOM Eternal

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

your source of self destruction

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Remember that Articulated 2004 Godzilla I made last year. Yeah well I went back and actually made it look good

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Goji89 is gonna love this one Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

:shock: .............

Is that a goji89 custom my little virgin eyes see?

I felt it, I felt a need to come into this thread.

Damn, can't wait to see your finished product.....I demand you not sleep and finish this now.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I can only imagine godzilla1541 locked in a small room, sitting at a work station with goji89 pointing a gun to the back of his head demanding him to finish his Godzilla 89 as quick as possible. :lol:
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

godzilla98rules wrote:I can only imagine godzilla1541 locked in a small room, sitting at a work station with goji89 pointing a gun to the back of his head demanding him to finish his Godzilla 89 as quick as possible. :lol:
Somehow, I feel that's something goji89 would do.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'll buy that custom off you :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

So, I bought the 3rd party Showa Ghidorah from a Chinese store on Ebay and it's scheduled to arrive on september.

I'm getting rid of that awful SHMA-like paint and I'm painting it just like the actual '64 Ghiddy.

Anyway, got any tips on the paints? Any specific colors or brand? Maybe some tips on how to paint him?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Destorogoji wrote:So, I bought the 3rd party Showa Ghidorah from a Chinese store on Ebay and it's scheduled to arrive on september.

I'm getting rid of that awful SHMA-like paint and I'm painting it just like the actual '64 Ghiddy.

Anyway, got any tips on the paints? Any specific colors or brand? Maybe some tips on how to paint him?
Most of the metallic paints you can get at Walmart and similar stores should do the trick. I’d suggest getting an Antique gold Color and hand paint the whole thing so your sure to get every crevice. As for things like the teeth and eyes use a Fine tipped brush and go slowly. Don’t rush as that will result in a lesser Quality paint job

Added in 2 minutes 6 seconds:
More photos soon Image