Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Re: Should Godzilla switch into a villain at some point?

Post by Gojira18 »

Moogabunga wrote:The definitive answer is no. It contradicts everything that they've established. Literally the only reason people have to believe this Godzilla may go villainous in future is one tiny, most likely insignificant line of dialogue, "For now". That line in no way indicates Godzilla will go villainous in the future.

But let's say that the writers of Godzilla vs Kong do something that should never be done, go full ------. Well then they are pissing on Serizawa's entire character. Serizawa, the biggest Godzilla fan on the planet, the man who says "trust in Gojira"...ends up looking dumb when Godzilla is murdering humanity left and right. It makes his sacrifice asinine as well. It also would make Mark Russell's arc stupid and pointless. Mark starts off as hating Godzilla...then ends up liking him. Then Godzilla turns villainous...and suddenly Mark should've kept his original feelings towards Godzilla.

This is a Godzilla that has an ancient relationship with humanity, a Godzilla that has never (purposely) caused any destruction or deaths, a Godzilla that has been shown to save the day on numerous occasions, a Godzilla that is literally said to be protecting cities from other Titans... It makes NO sense to turn him into a villain

And to the fans wanting a villainous Godzilla - GREAT news, there's a ton of films where Godzilla is the villain. You can watch derpy, terribly designed, statue Godzilla in 'Shin Godzilla', you watch the atrocious anime trilogy, the original '54 film, the beginning of the Showa and Heisei series, the majority of the Millennium series... how about something a little different?
This. With the exception of your assessment of Shin G lol

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I certainly agree. Doesn't change the fact i prefer my Big G villainous tho,but i don't mind heroic G every once and a while

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I honestly don't care if he's good, bad, or neutral. As long as he serves the story

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

He already is, they need to make it more obvious. Monsterverse Serizawa was Serizawa In Name Only tbh, Godzilla-loving, pro-kaiju hippie.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Fish Cakes wrote:He already is, they need to make it more obvious.
[Citation Needed]
Monsterverse Serizawa was Serizawa In Name Only tbh, Godzilla-loving, pro-kaiju hippie.
Well yeah, no freaking duh he's not the same character as '54 Serizawa. That should've been obvious with his given name being Ishiro instead of Daisuke.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

NSZ wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:He already is, they need to make it more obvious.
[Citation Needed]
Monsterverse Serizawa was Serizawa In Name Only tbh, Godzilla-loving, pro-kaiju hippie.
Well yeah, no freaking duh he's not the same character as '54 Serizawa. That should've been obvious with his given name being Ishiro instead of Daisuke.
Be nice! -_-
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No because to the audience Godzilla is the hero and they don't want the hero to go the villain route. :roll:

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

do not see any contradictions to previous films. even the opposite. I always did not understand why Godzilla, being a weapon of nature to restore balance (even if it is a metaphor), never paid attention to the main pests - people. He will consider them a threat to his survival and confront them.

I also do not understand those who complain about a “sharp” change of position. Godzilla is an animal. predator behavior is completely unpredictable

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It’s been established that this version of Godzilla has been friendly to humans since prehistory. It would seem like a huge change of character for him to switch.

Now. It could happen and make sense but it’s going to take some sort of drastic catalyst. Not just...people gotta people.

I think it’s more interesting to have Godzilla vs Kong where both are two sides of the same coin as opposed to Godzilla being an outright villain. We’ve already gotten that film. Let’s do something new with this one

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I hope he turns absolutely nasty just so the fans REEEE
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Moogabunga wrote:The definitive answer is no. It contradicts everything that they've established. Literally the only reason people have to believe this Godzilla may go villainous in future is one tiny, most likely insignificant line of dialogue, "For now". That line in no way indicates Godzilla will go villainous in the future.

But let's say that the writers of Godzilla vs Kong do something that should never be done, go full ------. Well then they are pissing on Serizawa's entire character. Serizawa, the biggest Godzilla fan on the planet, the man who says "trust in Gojira"...ends up looking dumb when Godzilla is murdering humanity left and right. It makes his sacrifice asinine as well. It also would make Mark Russell's arc stupid and pointless. Mark starts off as hating Godzilla...then ends up liking him. Then Godzilla turns villainous...and suddenly Mark should've kept his original feelings towards Godzilla.

This is a Godzilla that has an ancient relationship with humanity, a Godzilla that has never (purposely) caused any destruction or deaths, a Godzilla that has been shown to save the day on numerous occasions, a Godzilla that is literally said to be protecting cities from other Titans... It makes NO sense to turn him into a villain

And to the fans wanting a villainous Godzilla - GREAT news, there's a ton of films where Godzilla is the villain. You can watch derpy, terribly designed, statue Godzilla in 'Shin Godzilla', you can watch the atrocious anime trilogy, the original '54 film, the beginning of the Showa and Heisei series, the majority of the Millennium series... how about something a little different?
This. Aside from your opinion on Shin Godzilla which I also like I'm with you on every word on this post. This Godzilla has been established to having no ill feelings towards humans unless provoked. Trying to change that at this point is an example of bad writing.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I think the point of this thread is if he were provoked enough would you want to see him turn on humanity…
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dude's been hit by the OXYGEN DESTROYER and still hasn't lashed back. This Goji has the patient of a saint.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

No, because as stated, it would completely go against what these movies have established as Godzilla as being since apparently ancient times. Not only that, but him turning on humanity and smiting them down would both absolutely ruin Serizawa’s beliefs and legacy, but it would also just prove that Mark should have just remained firmly against the Titans and negate his entire character arc in KotM, making his line, “let’s make Serizawa proud”, meaningless.

After being nuked several times by humanity trying to kill him in G14, nearly being killed by an even more powerful weapon in KotM, and then being nuked once more and simultaneously having his entire home blown to nonexistence, I think if Godzilla wanted to turn on us by now, he very well would have done so.
Last edited by Godzilla165 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#BotM

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

Yeah, I'm just putting my plus one here in agreement. They've already jumped the shark in pushing Godzilla to be a hero in these films. For him to flip wouldn't make much sense. The most they could do is introduce a second Godzilla/another Godzilla species that isn't so nice to humanity and do it that way which.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

king_ghidorah wrote:It’s been established that this version of Godzilla has been friendly to humans since prehistory. It would seem like a huge change of character for him to switch.

Now. It could happen and make sense but it’s going to take some sort of drastic catalyst. Not just...people gotta people.

I think it’s more interesting to have Godzilla vs Kong where both are two sides of the same coin as opposed to Godzilla being an outright villain. We’ve already gotten that film. Let’s do something new with this one
if he really were friendly to people, he would not have destroyed ships in 1954 and the Nautilus submarine. Also, do not forget about the attack on USS Maine and Lawton.
And the ancient peaceful coexistence has long been violated by the people themselves, as Doherty said. I don’t think that some kind of friendship was meant here. rather, Godzilla was simply indifferent to people since they were not a threat at that time
Last edited by Olzh26 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Olzh26 wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:It’s been established that this version of Godzilla has been friendly to humans since prehistory. It would seem like a huge change of character for him to switch.

if he really were friendly to people, he would not have destroyed ships in 1954 and the Nautilus submarine. Also, do not forget about the attack on USS Maine and Lawton.
bu-but guiz, that was the totally canon and reel mosnter that has never been mentioned ever gain outside of that one comic thast contradicks cannon and a passing line in a 2ndary canon novel!!11 Gawdzillu is a hero and he wuld nevar turn baed!!111!

All jokes aside, I prefer Godzilla as a villain. Wouldn't mind if LPG switched at some point. It's been hinted at before.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Godzilla165 wrote:No, because as stated, it would completely go against what these movies have established as Godzilla as being since apparently ancient times. Not only that, but him turning on humanity and smiting them down would both absolutely ruin Serizawa’s beliefs and legacy, but it would also just prove that Mark should have just remained firmly against the Titans and negate his entire character arc in KotM, making his line, “let’s make Serizawa proud”, meaningless.

After being nuked several times by humanity trying to kill him in G14, nearly being killed by an even more powerful weapon in KotM, and then being nuked once more and simultaneously having his entire home blown to nonexistence, I think if Godzilla wanted to turn on us by now, he very well would have done so.
Thing is, we've all aimed those attacks towards him in particular and we haven't really drastically damaged the natural order of Earth like King Ghidorah did or the MUTOS could have if the eggs hatched. All we do is fight a few tiny wars here and there and cause some pollution that Titans like Scylla can just easily suck up. He doesn't really mind attacks on himself, because he can take it, but if we do anything REALLY bad to the natural order, I don't think he'll let us off with a warning.

Also, he glared at the humans right after emerging when Serizawa nuked him. The Oxygen Destroyer could have been enough to make him really pissed, but all it did was kill a bunch of fish in a 2 mile radius and caused more damage to Godzilla himself rather than nature. If it was aimed at a densely populated rainforest or something, he might have not taken it in stride. Also while he was clearly angry about the Oxygen Destroyer, after glancing at the Monarch crew realized that these humans also helped him out and he had bigger things to worry about than "petty revenge" at the moment so he let it slide for now. He does seem to understand that there are individuals among humans unlike the previous Godzilla incarnations. Much like Monarch discussing "which of these Titans are here to protect us and which are here to threaten us", Godzilla himself also understands "Which of these humans are part of nature and which of these humans are enemies of nature". He could very well rampage against evil humans that damage nature or as direct retaliation, but I don't think he'll just start rampaging randomly like his previous incarnations. He's a king who keeps his subjects in line if they start causing trouble, but otherwise leaves them alone to their own devices, whether they worship him or not is none of his business.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla is more concerned about his life and not some kind of abstract natural balance that doesn't bother him. This is just a metaphor for the monarch’s most religious worker. all the more, according to Mark, it has already been established that Godzilla just cares about his survival and status

Added in 11 minutes 20 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Olzh26 wrote:

bu-but guiz, that was the totally canon and reel mosnter that has never been mentioned ever gain outside of that one comic thast contradicks cannon and a passing line in a 2ndary canon novel!!11 Gawdzillu is a hero and he wuld nevar turn baed!!111!

All jokes aside, I prefer Godzilla as a villain. Wouldn't mind if LPG switched at some point. It's been hinted at before.
in fact there weren’t even contradictions :lol:
Last edited by Olzh26 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Olzh26 wrote:Godzilla is more concerned about his life and not some kind of abstract natural balance that doesn't bother him. This is just a metaphor for the monarch’s most religious worker. all the more, according to Mark, it has already been established that Godzilla just cares about his survival and status
I suppose so but that doesn't change the fact that he has a job as protector of nature and apex predator too. Otherwise why would he chase the MUTOs and Shinomura around so relentlessly?

Yeah he does definitely care about his own life and was quite pissed when he first emerged and saw the humans and would have probably killed them if he didn't realize that they were on his side. He's smart enough to differentiate between humans that threaten him and are against nature, humans that help him and are in tune with nature, and humans that just do their own thing and are a small part of nature.

This is the vibe I'm getting from this Godzilla really. He's more than just an animal that protects itself, but not exactly a superhero that wants to actively protect all life either. He just wants what's best for the world's natural order. Whether that means protecting humans, attacking them, or even just ignoring them, he'll fulfill his duty as the guardian of the balance of nature. He might just do this coincidentially as an apex predator with normal animal behavior, but there's no question that there's some deeper though behind his actions too, as seen when he looks the human characters in the eye and we can tell that he's thinking something about them.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.