Talkback Thread: The Secret Of The Telegian (1960)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Talkback Thread: The Secret Of The Telegian (1960)

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Can't find a thread on it, just wanna say this film has some slick action direction. Some elements of the story are cliche and the ending is typical Sekizawa but Fukuda knows how to keep things lively. So much energy is made through the push ins and tracking shots, blows the action in most Toho sci-fi out of the water. The more I think about it the better it gets, love how the villain's plans come to fruition as he toys with the victims. It's never as atmospheric as The H-Man's best scenes, and doesn't come close to The Human Vapor's wonderful build up, but it's a fine film with it's own sharp character.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread: The Secret Of The Telegian (1960)

Post by Terasawa »

With the exception of Matango, which isn't much like the others, the Transforming Human series is unfortunately too obscure in the West. This is probably neither the best nor my favorite but it's still a pretty good movie. I wish the identity of the killer wasn't telegraphed (pun intended) so early on and I wish the optical effects that show the killer in his transitional state were more consistent (sometimes it's as in your avatar, with the scan lines, a very cool effect, but others the sound effect is heard while the body seems perfectly solid), but those are nitpicks. It's been a little while since I've seen this, it's probably time for a re-watch.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I've been interested in catching this for awhile now. How's it compare to THV?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stump Feet wrote:I've been interested in catching this for awhile now. How's it compare to THV?
Story isn't anywhere near as good but it's action scenes are cool in their own right. I don't think they're all that comparable really.

And yeah, these films deserve way more exposure and recognition in the west, especially THV. I'd love to see Arrow release these films on Blu-Ray some day.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Judging by your avatar, the special effects look very interesting and well done for its time period
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Next on my list. Can I assume this can be easily found on the usual sites?

Added in 5 days 6 hours 19 minutes 27 seconds:
I’m apologizing in advance for the poor photo quality but this is amazing:

The killer says he only wanted to see Akiko and then says something really creepy. Cut to him being between them, before akiko moves behind/near Kobayashi, and the killer drinks some milk. Showa aesthic at its finest.

Also some great moments are the cuts between the volcano erupting and gun shots at the end, great sound editing.

As for the plot and other things, I have lesser opinions which I’ll elaborate on later.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

This film looks interesting. Is it a murder mystery movie?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:This film looks interesting. Is it a murder mystery movie?
I wouldn't say it's a murder mystery because you know the identity of the killer and his motive pretty early on, although the audience is privy to many more details than the other characters in the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think the fatal flaw is:
Spoiler:
just based on the title and adverts, we quickly know it’s about a man who has the ability to teleport. Other then the info about the men who killed him, we don’t really learn much more throughout the film.

The other big flaw, is that the Telegian isn’t really scary. He needs a bizarre set up and contrived plan to teleport. You can’t compare it to the human vapor who is scarier.
I do have to give heavy props to the foreshadowing throughout the film. The “Japanese military nightclub” is set up before the reveal of the true identities of everyone, and it’s great.

Additionally, I love the eeriness of the farm towards the end.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

From Toho Films 1961:

Some minor spoilers in the synopsis.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.