Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by Giratina93 »

Really, it's milking nostalgia. Gen 4 tried to evolve older pokemon, but... the fanbase reacted REALLY badly to the gen 1 evos, especially the likes of Electivire and Magmortar. Then they tried Mega Evos to bring up older mons people liked, but... Mega Evos were broken as hell and centralized VGC, lol. The regional forms are the best received attempts at updating older mons to make them more viable in VGC/ingame, and because they tend to be fan favorites and don't replace or invalidate the original forms, it's easy to see why GF is more than happy to make them and count them as new pokemon.

Sorry, these ARE the new pokemon you're getting, while still milking that sweet nostalgia nectar. That's just how it is.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Giratina93 wrote:Really, it's milking nostalgia. Gen 4 tried to evolve older pokemon, but... the fanbase reacted REALLY badly to the gen 1 evos, especially the likes of Electivire and Magmortar. Then they tried Mega Evos to bring up older mons people liked, but... Mega Evos were broken as hell and centralized VGC, lol. The regional forms are the best received attempts at updating older mons to make them more viable in VGC/ingame, and because they tend to be fan favorites and don't replace or invalidate the original forms, it's easy to see why GF is more than happy to make them and count them as new pokemon.

Sorry, these ARE the new pokemon you're getting, while still milking that sweet nostalgia nectar. That's just how it is.
Thanks I hate it
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

I hate Obstagoon so much. Anthropomorphic animal, invalidates the original Zigzagoon and Linoone since they don't evolve, blatant pop culture reference. The latest batch of information made my eyes vomit between the term "Hangry Form", the evil team, the rivals, and the regional forms.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Team yell is alright, team skull for life baby!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fish Cakes wrote:I hate Obstagoon so much. Anthropomorphic animal, invalidates the original Zigzagoon and Linoone since they don't evolve, blatant pop culture reference. The latest batch of information made my eyes vomit between the term "Hangry Form", the evil team, the rivals, and the regional forms.
Nah Obstagoon is awesome. I’ve seen the “It invalidates the original linoone” so much, but no ever used Linoone :)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Fish Cakes wrote:I hate Obstagoon so much. Anthropomorphic animal, invalidates the original Zigzagoon and Linoone since they don't evolve, blatant pop culture reference.
If it makes a worthless pokemon that is basically just HM slave fodder a little more useful, I'm glad they gaveus the kiss Zig line

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Let me rephrase: I wish there was a Hoenn Obstagoon that didn't look so bad. I like raccoons, Zigzagoon and Linoone are my fav regional vermin. :c
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Fucking Ratticate for the win :lol:

I learned to hate Zigzagoon in ORAS when that’s all I could get from WT.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Obstagoon is literally a fucking fursuit.

No thank you.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I liked the zigzag and straight line gimmick of the previous two forms, Obstagoon is basically just "What if Gene Simmons was Lycanroc lol" right down to its gimmick being that it goads its opponents into attacking it. Evolutions for old Pokemon are good but I think this thing is pretty weak visually and conceptually.
Spoiler:
James Turner replacing Sugimori as art director was a mistake
Last edited by Smuggers on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote:Obstagoon is literally a skreeonking fursuit.

No thank you.
I get the complaints about the Gene Simmons thing (though a lot of people ignore that a lot of older Pokémon are based off of people too), but I don’t get the fursuit complaints.

I’m not a furry, but I don’t see how the design just for being anthropomorphic is an inherently bad thing.

I’ll preference this with that I also dislike KISS, and Gene Simmons, and when I saw Obstagoon I didn’t realize or see the connection.

And people are acting like GF are milking nostalgia: of course they are. But people nostalgic for linoone are a big minority and I’m happy with what we got.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

No thank you.
So is Lucario, Zorark, and a bunch of other mons. No one is thinking pursuit but you pervert

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Godzillian wrote:So is Lucario, Zorark, and a bunch of other mons. No one is thinking pursuit but you pervert
Well, so are the R34 atists, furries, memers, and general naysayers.

Assuming you meant fursuit that is. Fursuits aren't inherently sexual either, pervert.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

There are so many furry Pokémon. I'd rather a cool KISS fan one then (shudder) Lucario.

Also, how is no one talking about Galarian Weezing? 10/10 capitalist smogball for the win

RIP Evan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Godzillian wrote:No one is thinking pursuit but you pervert
Can't blame him, it's a great move to use when mons weak to Dark are trying to switch out
Last edited by Smuggers on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

As I've stated before: the whole "national dex not coming back" doesn't bother me. However, after some further thinking and insight there will be one Pokemon that I will be genuinely pissed if they leave them out:

Ditto.

Yes, Ditto. The Pokemon Breeder's best friend. I use Dittos for nature and IV passing. Not including Ditto will not only make breeding more time consuming but will make some Pokemon unbreedable. That's the only Pokemon I'm nervous about since they haven't revealed it yet. Give me Ditto; and I'll be fine.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Bold of you to assume breeding is even going to be in this game. They're gutting gimmicks left and right and I wouldn't be surprised if that's gone by the next game.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Please understand, the Galar region is simply too cold for Ditto. The warm clothing project has started!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don’t think anyone should assume anything, but given the recent trailer focusing on hidden abilities and some competitive stuff I don’t think breeding is something that’ll have been removed. It’s been a mainstay since gen 2/3.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

No thank you.
That's not what I got out of it. To me, he kinda looks like Rawhead Rex.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"