General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
You stole my comment jerkoff
Type faster next time, old man.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
You stole my comment jerkoff
Type faster next time, old man.
Can you feel the love tonight
The peace the evening brings
The world for once in perfect harmony
With all its living things

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Do one y'all maybe even better.

Still animated but instead an animated Gamera series on NetFlix but rather an anime series and with the Heisei approach in terms of origin and tone.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I could see very plausible to have a Gamera anime series in-tone with the Heisei Trilogy, it would feel a lot like Evangelion, but that's fine, since Anno based a lot of his visuals on Heisei Gamera.

Either that, or a new family-friendly animated film.

I'd love to see a new live-action Gamera, but I think he would be dismissed by normal people who would only see him as "le Godzilla rip-off, hehe"
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

How popular is Gamera in Japan even? I'm sure everyone knows abot Godzilla there but what about the old turtle?
Destorogoji wrote:I'd love to see a new live-action Gamera, but I think he would be dismissed by normal people who would only see him as "le Godzilla rip-off, hehe"
Le dated meme format

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Godzillian wrote:How popular is Gamera in Japan even? I'm sure everyone knows abot Godzilla there but what about the old turtle?
Bandai is charging 11,000 yen (100 bucks) for his new figure, so I guess he's kind of popular around there, if not as close to Goji.

I remember he also made a cameo along other famous Japanese tokusatsu characters in a recent Japanese videogame, so idk.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Gamera is nowhere near the popularity of Godzilla. If Godzilla's like Batman over there, Gamera's like Hellboy. Obscure but not unknown to those savvy with the genre.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Ultraman's like the Superman of Japan, Godzilla's like Spider-Man, and Gamera's more akin to Spawn :lol:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

UltramanGoji wrote:Gamera is nowhere near the popularity of Godzilla. If Godzilla's like Batman over there, Gamera's like Hellboy. Obscure but not unknown to those savvy with the genre.
This is a good comparison. He's a known character, but nowhere close to Goji.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

So I was thinking, we have all these studios releasing things like the DC movies, Glass, and Brightburn to cash in on the MCU superhero craze, why can’t a rivaling studio to WB like Sony or something gain the rights to Gamera to cash in on the MonsterVerse movies?
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Stump Feet wrote:So I was thinking, we have all these studios releasing things like the DC movies, Glass, and Brightburn to cash in on the MCU superhero craze, why can’t a rivaling studio to WB like Sony or something gain the rights to Gamera to cash in on the MonsterVerse movies?
Because the MCU is actually successful and each MV movie either does merely acceptable numbers or straight up flops. How would you cash in on a series where the last movie did $385 million worldwide?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Stump Feet wrote:So I was thinking, we have all these studios releasing things like the DC movies, Glass, and Brightburn to cash in on the MCU superhero craze, why can’t a rivaling studio to WB like Sony or something gain the rights to Gamera to cash in on the MonsterVerse movies?
Because Gamera has insanely low brand recognition in the US and is a big risk for a studio. Kaiju films in the US are just doing OK currently. Not flops but not amazing which is giving other studios pause about creating their own Monsterverse.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It’s funny.... Gamera seems to have the upper hand in quality over Godzilla. If a Hollywood studio... let’s say Disney.. gets the rights to do a Gamera series, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they hit 600m WW. Not that the MV doesn’t have good quality, it’s just what would happen “just because”.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
How would you cash in on a series where the last movie did $385 million worldwide?
Lol true.
Godzillian wrote: Because Gamera has insanely low brand recognition in the US and is a big risk for a studio. Kaiju films in the US are just doing OK currently. Not flops but not amazing which is giving other studios pause about creating their own Monsterverse.
Well yeah, I think I’ve argued with GodzillaFan1990 about the low brand recognition subject before, I was just thinking aloud without thinking how stupid my post was, I apologize.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Godzillian wrote:
Because Gamera has insanely low brand recognition in the US and is a big risk for a studio. Kaiju films in the US are just doing OK currently. Not flops but not amazing which is giving other studios pause about creating their own Monsterverse.
I agree with this.. but if Disney got the rights it could be something pretty special.

I know when you hear “Disney” you think kid stuff but they have evolved.. and I mean EVOLVED to be much more.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Disney or Sony was actually the company I had in mind when typing out my post.

With Gamera’s kid-friendly subject matter, Disney’d be my choice company in this hypothetical
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

lol, Disney? Really people?

Bye-bye series staple violence.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Honestly Disney getting ahold of the property might actually give it “instant” recognition.

Added in 37 seconds:
NSZ wrote:lol, Disney? Really people?

Bye-bye series staple violence.
Dude... Disney would be fine. It wouldn’t look any different than the MV.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Cookson wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
I agree with this.. but if Disney got the rights it could be something pretty special.

I know when you hear “Disney” you think kid stuff but they have evolved.. and I mean EVOLVED to be much more.
That thought scares me lol, they really don't show deaths in their franchises (I know I say that as Marvel kills off half of its universe and 2 of its biggest heroes, but other than a select few MCU flicks, it's true.) and with the way Gamera is known for being friends with the children, I'm sure he'd get his own Barney type show :lol: .
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

“Barney type show”....

Now I want Disney to do this just to show you how wrong you are!