Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’m currently reading, and sortve translating an older Godzilla manga, that is a particularly humorous take on GRA. It features a monster named Gyotsu and other strange monsters in addition to Angurius and Godzilla.

Anyways, while reading it, there’s a rather humorous part where Godzilla tells Angurius and Gyotsu, that “Hey, I’m busy now. Leave me alone, because I’m off to take revenge on japan for my younger brother”. The implication here, is that the Godzilla in this manga, is the older brother to the 1954 Godzilla. Obviously, this manga is non cannon, and clearly a parody of GRA. However, I was wondering if there’s any other references to the second showa Godzilla being 54’s older brother, or if it’s just a joke.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I always thought that the Showa Godzilla was the brother of the first one myself.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Odd that the first one introduced would be the younger brother.

At least neither of them are girls and Minilla isn't their baby.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I don't know of any official source that comments on any relationship between the Showa Godzillas outside of both originating from the same species, which is generally the only connection given between different incarnations of Godzilla or between Godzilla and his adopted sons. We know the 1954 Godzilla lived with a family of his kind and was supposedly the only one to survive the H-bomb, but I suppose one could interpret that the second Godzilla was part of the family who happened to survive the explosion as well.

The closest thing we have to a relationship between Godzilla incarnations is Shogo Tomiyama and Masaaki Tezuka acknowledging the interpretation that Kiryu is the 2002-2003 Godzilla's father as valid, albeit not necessarily canon.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Ivo-goji wrote:Odd that the first one introduced would be the younger brother.

I remember hearing a rumor on a Godzilla FB group that the first one was female, but all the rest were males. But since nobody knew where that rumor came from, that was discarded as something that was made up.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I remember hearing a rumor on a Godzilla FB group that the first one was female, but all the rest were males. But since nobody knew where that rumor came from, that was discarded as something that was made up.
I think Nakajima said something once about how he thought that the second Godzilla was a female.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Many of the films refer to the second Godzilla as a male so it’s sortve conclusive. The question I have is that if anyone can find any other sources, related to the showa Godzilla, that refers to Showa Godzilla as the younger brother, or it this is just made up by the whimsical non cannon manga.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I always felt Showa Godzilla was the younger brother and 54 was the Alpha of the group and Minya's father. Showa Godzilla's stroy arc is forgiving those who killed his brother, becoming their savior, adopting his nephew and then being Alpha in his own right but of all Earth monsters versus a tribe of Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Monster Zero wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think Nakajima said something once about how he thought that the second Godzilla was a female.
But even then, that rumor has never been confirmed and we don't know when it was said, so that's largely discredited.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I like to think that Showa Godzilla is definitely his brother, it's always been that way in my head canon.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

It's possible 1954 may have asexually created one offspring that eventually becomes Showa Godzilla. To have a brother, 1954'd need a mother and father. I like to think he was a product of the bombings and then recreated on his own naturally, resulting in the new Showa Godzilla to have the looks of his father while having actual scales and not ugly scars like his father.
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

KingKong2005 wrote:It's possible 1954 may have asexually created one offspring that eventually becomes Showa Godzilla. To have a brother, 1954'd need a mother and father. I like to think he was a product of the bombings and then recreated on his own naturally, resulting in the new Showa Godzilla to have the looks of his father while having actual scales and not ugly scars like his father.
54 Goji had a family and he and Showa Godzilla were the only survivor of the H-bombing. Godzilla is a natural species in the showa series which is also why Godzilla is able to show Minya the ropes.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla does belong to some natural series, but it’s heavily implied and depending on different sources, outright stated, that Godzilla is unique. The reason why his skin is the way it is, particularly in the original, ifs that it was scarred and burned by the bomb testing. Depending how much you want to look into it, Minya May be more akin to what Godzilla would like naturally (smaller spines, a more smooth grayish skin, peaceful disposition).

Most likely, two Showa Godzilla’s, the ones we see, survived the blast and basically had the same reaction.
Minyas egg was most likely laid way before the hbomb and could’ve been revived or sped up the process by the solgell expirements.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

As a kid, I thought the two Godzillas were mates and that the original 54 Godzilla was a female.

Nowadays, I like to think that the 54 Godzilla somehow respawned after the Oxygen Destroyer, showing off his regenerative capabilities.

But brothers? Yeah, that probably makes more sense, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I remember reading that "Gigantis" was a female monster in Ian Thorne's 1970s Godzilla book from Crestwood House. Maybe that has something to do with the rumor that the 2nd Godzilla was female.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

In the original Volcano monsters script, Godzilla/The T-Rex was female and was going to lay its eggs until being buiried by an avalanche.

That's where the Female Gigantis rumor originated. Imo, I personally like LSD's theory, fits exceptionally well with Godzilla's retconned origin.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GojiDog wrote:As a kid, I thought the two Godzillas were mates and that the original 54 Godzilla was a female.

Nowadays, I like to think that the 54 Godzilla somehow respawned after the Oxygen Destroyer, showing off his regenerative capabilities.

That's about where I am. As a kid, I needed it to 'make sense' for Minya to exist. I could only see things from a traditional sense "If the Godzilla in most of the movies is the dad, than the original that died had to be the mom"

But as I've grown, more of the "they are the same species" idea has crept up....although I've never had the consideration of them being outright "brothers"....that adds up.

When Godzilla 2000 came out, and I suppose supported by Godzilla vs Biollante.....I began to just accept that hyper regeneration was a natural part of Godzilla's existence. ALL Godzilla, no matter which timeline. When you factor that Big G gets blasted and beaten every which way and always seems to bounce back....it makes a ton of sense.

With Shin Godzilla....the notion of hyper-adaptability and extreme sort of cellular and structural mutation makes me WANT to apply it to all Godzilla in the same way. It has become my retroactive justification for ANY time Godzilla has changed size or appearance between films....he's always adapting and changing to any and all environmental circumstances. Whether spending more time in water, or on Monster Island, more time being attacked by humans or sort of existing away from them.....more time around other monsters or fighting/not fighting them....I like to consider that the physiology AND "behavior/attitude" of every Godzilla is always subject to adaptive changes. Show Godzilla becomes a more friendlier and heroic type of beast because of all of the exterior circumstances triggering his cells and body to "react" that way. For survival, Godzilla evolves towards a more peaceful and less aggressive co-existence with humans.

So perhaps Godzilla was decimated by the Oxygen destroyer, and the cells or pieces of them remained and regenerated.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Chrispy_G wrote:
GojiDog wrote:As a kid, I thought the two Godzillas were mates and that the original 54 Godzilla was a female.

So perhaps Godzilla was decimated by the Oxygen destroyer, and the cells or pieces of them remained and regenerated.
Well it happened with GMK Godzilla and apparently GvMegaguirus Godzilla as well, so it's not all that far fetched.

Really the only thing keeping it from being canon in the Showaverse is the fact that characters in Godzilla Raids Again explicitly state it's a different Godzilla. However, they never provide any proof of this other than their say-so...so my head canon is that maybe Showa Godzilla is the original Godzilla regenerated, and that the the military and scientists in Raids Again are either ignorant of the regeneration ability and assume it's a different one or...they simply tell themselves and others that it must be a different creature, because they can't bring themselves to acknowledge the possibility that, after all of their best efforts and sacrifices, even with the Oxygen Destroyer, the deadliest weapon conceived by man, humanity still couldn't put this beast down for good. That thought is just too horrifying to even consider, therefore it has to be a new Godzilla.
Last edited by JesstrK on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JesstrK wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:

Well it happened with GMK Godzilla and apparently GvMegaguirus Godzilla as well, so it's not all that far fetched. Really the only thing keeping it from being canon in the Showaverse is the fact that characters in Godzilla Raids Again explicitly state it's a different Godzilla. However, they never provide any proof of this other than their say-so...so my head canon is that maybe Showa Godzilla is the original Godzilla regenerated, and that the the military and scientists in Raids Again are either ignorant of the regeneration ability and assume it's a different one or...they simply tell themselves and others that it must be a different creature, because they can't bring themselves to acknowledge that, after all of their best efforts and sacrifices, even with the Oxygen Destroyer, the deadliest weapon conceived by man, humanity still couldn't put this beast down for good. That thought is just too horrifying to even consider, therefore it has to be a new Godzilla.
Serizawa never confronted GxM Godzilla and Gmk had supernatural powers helping him regenerate/reincarnate.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:
JesstrK wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:

Well it happened with GMK Godzilla and apparently GvMegaguirus Godzilla as well, so it's not all that far fetched. Really the only thing keeping it from being canon in the Showaverse is the fact that characters in Godzilla Raids Again explicitly state it's a different Godzilla. However, they never provide any proof of this other than their say-so...so my head canon is that maybe Showa Godzilla is the original Godzilla regenerated, and that the the military and scientists in Raids Again are either ignorant of the regeneration ability and assume it's a different one or...they simply tell themselves and others that it must be a different creature, because they can't bring themselves to acknowledge that, after all of their best efforts and sacrifices, even with the Oxygen Destroyer, the deadliest weapon conceived by man, humanity still couldn't put this beast down for good. That thought is just too horrifying to even consider, therefore it has to be a new Godzilla.
Serizawa never confronted GxM Godzilla and Gmk had supernatural powers helping him regenerate/reincarnate.
Former is true: In GxM Godzilla is made out to be just a big beastie that seeks out "bad energy" forms such as nuclear energy and the fictional energy they came up with for the film.

in GMK, it's completely ambiguous, and more implied Godzilla is more akin to an evil reincarnated version then the actual creature that died.