The Disney Thread.

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Re: The Disney Thread.

Post by ScootaVaran »

Stump Feet wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Saw the Lion King last night. pretty pointless movie but somewhat enjoyable. The animals looked pretty neat, might be worth seeing for a discount showing or if it's on tv
I've seen nothing but people poop on this one all over the internet, what's up with that?

Planning on taking the kids to see it next week.
Don't ever let the BS on the internet decide what you should or shouldn't do with your family.

Go see it with your kids. If the movie sucks, who cares?
At least you had fun with your kids.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Thank you for the advice, lions and tigers are their favorite animals so I’m sure they’ll have a good time with it.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Stump Feet wrote:Thank you for the advice, lions and tigers are their favorite animals so I’m sure they’ll have a good time with it.
Like I said in my quick review, it's not as good as the original but it should be watched in companion with the original.

Little kids will like it and thus not spending their time comparing it to the original should like it.

My family all enjoyed it for what it was minus a couple things but I if you don't go in expecting to feel 100% like you did with the orginal it's a good film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Watched the new "Lion King" last Saturday with my sister. It was....ok I guess? Like, I honestly enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, but I can definitely see where the criticism comes from and most of the issues I had with it since the 2nd trailer still stand. My main issues mostly come from the lack of atmosphere, tone and striking imagery in some of the movie's key scenes, lack of energy from the voice actors and the dull, expressionless characterization of the characters (I honestly feel like the movie underestimated how expressive Lions can actually be). These problems are especially apparent in one very particular sequence, but i'll admit were done better in others.
Overall, it was a relatively fun but passable film with gorgeous effects and animations, and made me appreciate the original even more. I'd rate it 6/10- nowhere near as bad as most of the reviews/rants claim, but nothing particularily special either.

I will say though, the remake's take on the Hyenas was great. They felt like legit and threatening villains on their own right, and not just like stupid lackeys. Also, Timon and Pumba were fantastic- even funnier than the original ones in some moments. You could truly tell Billy Eichner had a blast with this role :lol:

They did Scar dirty though. Like no offense to Ejiofor, but he honestly lacks the subtlety, devious nature and class Iron's Scar had. And "Be Prepared" honestly felt pretty lackluster. I did like how it gave some additional background to his rivalry with Mufasa, even if just a tiny bit.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 am, edited 8 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone think this character would make for an awesome Disney princess?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotama-hime

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:Anyone think this character would make for an awesome Disney princess?

yeah but Mulan is our Asian representative for Disney Princesses. i'd be fine with another one though. but i think in general,more non Chinese and Japanese Asian leads should be coming in. I know it sounds really SJW-ish when i say that but it's true.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Yeah Lion King leaves a lot to be desired honestly and Scar was disappointing and even James Earl Jones lacked the drive he had in the original but he's older so I couldn't really blame. I liked Donald Glover as Simba though but yeah Jungle Book is the superior movie.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tyrantgoji wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Anyone think this character would make for an awesome Disney princess?

yeah but Mulan is our Asian representative for Disney Princesses. i'd be fine with another one though. but i think in general,more non Chinese and Japanese Asian leads should be coming in. I know it sounds really SJW-ish when i say that but it's true.
Would it be different than having more than one European representative?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:

Would it be different than having more than one European representative?
yeah. i mean think about it,Fillipinos are the second heighest Asian population besides China...and in western media,they barely even show!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Even though I’m a defender of diversifying live action Disney stuff, I feel that taking a Japanese cultural figure, and “disneyfying” it, is a bit explorative, especially when Japanese anime is already so popular, and Disney has a rampant history of ripping and stealing stuff from Japanese anime.

Though, I’m conflicted because if done respectfully it might introduce some cool things to small children, and help them view the world more diversely. Really conflicted, internally and thanks for providing me with a mind puzzle. Now let’s turn her into a Disney princess:

:D
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Yeah Lion King leaves a lot to be desired honestly and Scar was disappointing and even James Earl Jones lacked the drive he had in the original but he's older so I couldn't really blame. I liked Donald Glover as Simba though but yeah Jungle Book is the superior movie.
Yeah, that's a good point here. Although his voice is still instantly recognizeable, it feels more toned down in the drive and power than his performance as Mufasa in the original animated film. This is also apparent from his performance as Vader in RO. But as you said, can't really blame him- the man IS 88 years old. Sad to see such a great actor's age catch up to him, but I still applaud him for doing his best with what he was given here.

The rest is just a mixed bag. On one hand the visuals were indeed realistic and beautiful and the score was MARVELOUS, but on the other hand it felt...shallow. Bland. Almost like a stripped down version of the animated film, which kept some good aspects but lost most of the energy, charm, colors and provoking imagery. I was actually looking forward to see this, and ended up coming out just as I expected- 50/50. Loved some aspects, disliked the others. This staleness is especially apparent in Mufasa's death scene, which wasn't nearly as impactful.

And yeah, Scar was the most disappointing aspect for me. I actually like the designs of the Lions, I thought they felt realistic while still distinct from each other- but unfortunately, the blank faces with zero emotion and the stale performances are underwhelming. Scar especially- he has zero of the iconic vocal and physical presence as a character the original had. I guess Irons just played the role way too good :lol:
I did like the additional backstory they gave him though, especially that whole deal with Sarabi. Kinda added to his backstabbing and revolting nature.

And I agree, Donald Glover's performance as Simba was honestly among the better ones in the film.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Dv-218 wrote:
Godzilla2000Zero wrote:Yeah Lion King leaves a lot to be desired honestly and Scar was disappointing and even James Earl Jones lacked the drive he had in the original but he's older so I couldn't really blame. I liked Donald Glover as Simba though but yeah Jungle Book is the superior movie.
Yeah, that's a good point here. Although his voice is still instantly recognizeable, it feels more toned down in the drive and power than his performance as Mufasa in the original animated film. This is also apparent from his performance as Vader in RO. But as you said, can't really blame him- the man IS 88 years old. Sad to see such a great actor's age catch up to him, but I still applaud him for doing his best with what he was given here.

The rest is just a mixed bag. On one hand the visuals were indeed realistic and beautiful and the score was MARVELOUS, but on the other hand it felt...shallow. Bland. Almost like a stripped down version of the animated film, which kept some good aspects but lost most of the energy, charm, colors and provoking imagery. I was actually looking forward to see this, and ended up coming out just as I expected- 50/50. Loved some aspects, disliked the others. This staleness is especially apparent in Mufasa's death scene, which wasn't nearly as impactful.

And yeah, Scar was the most disappointing aspect for me. I actually like the designs of the Lions, I thought they felt realistic while still distinct from each other- but unfortunately, the blank faces with zero emotion and the stale performances are underwhelming. Scar especially- he has zero of the iconic vocal and physical presence as a character the original had. I guess Irons just played the role way too good :lol:
I did like the additional backstory they gave him though, especially that whole deal with Sarabi. Kinda added to his backstabbing and revolting nature.

And I agree, Donald Glover's performance as Simba was honestly among the better ones in the film.
Agreed on everything I really wanted to love it but I just felt underwhelmed. They came up with a few new idea but none of them really were used to it's full potiental like Nala's and Shenzi's rivalry which could have been expanded on but instead it came outta nowhere. This might be unpopular but I actually liked Donald Glover as Simba better than Matthew Broderick especially in his confrontation with Scar he really sold how helpless he was when Scar accused him of killing Mufasa and then his rage at Scar when the truth comes out. My main disappointment in Scar was that he lacked most of the quality the made the original Scar so iconic and great which is surprising consider I like the actor
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Scar was made a more hands on threat then just cunning in this version. Different take but I think it was ok. Og Scar Is till my favorite though.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I haven't seen the film yet to get my opinion, but I just finished listening to the soundtrack......

Hans Zimmer's reworked score sounds as great as the original and Circle of Life, Lion Sleeps Tonight, and He Lives In You were pretty good, but most of the character driven songs just sounded flat or soulless to me, with Be Prepared being the worst one.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Welp, Lion King passed the Billion mark not long ago. it still has long ways to go i wager.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

tyrantgoji wrote:Welp, Lion King passed the Billion mark not long ago. it still has long ways to go i wager.
Well ya it's only been out 2 weeks. $1.6 billion is my prediction
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Having watched the remake, i really like how the hyenas were given a more serious and threatening characterization, they're still villains but far more effective and scary ones, Mufasa even addresses Shenzi by her name, showing he seems to feel some kind of respect towards them, and rather than being Scar's minions, they're their own party with no allegiance but to themselves. Good
But otherwise, the whole thing feels like a documentary trying hard to be a Disney film, and yeah, documentaries can be dramatic too, but this just feels way too much. The visuals are gorgeous, that's for sure, but overall, it's severelly lacking, not to mention any new ideas are wasted away without much thought..

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Later when I can, I'll be doing a Youtube review of this film, but for now I'll just share my quick thoughts:

I watched it earlier today, and yeah, it is meh/okay. I liked how gorgeous it looked and sounded, but the delivery is just wooden and soulless with my least favorites being Chiwetel Ejiofor's Scar and the no longer named "Ed". John Faveru or Disney didn't seem sure whether they wanted to make a shot-for-shot remake or an original remake with new ideas/directions. If I had some positives, it's that the score (as I mentioned a few days ago) is great, some of the actors are doing as good of a job that they can do considering the way the film is made (I found Timon and Pumbaa the best represented characters), and that the new scenes they added were the most interesting (For example, showing the lionesses fighting the Hyenas).
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Me a month ago: I hate these Disney remakes. At least my favorite one, The Great Mouse Detective will never get remade.

Me last night after reading Disney is developing a remake of GMD: Okay, so Disney has me bugged and they like to troll me.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GojiDog wrote:Me a month ago: I hate these Disney remakes. At least my favorite one, The Great Mouse Detective will never get remade.

Me last night after reading Disney is developing a remake of GMD: Okay, so Disney has me bugged and they like to troll me.
wow,talk about irony. didn't expect them to make that one either,but i think that's good. Disney should remake the films that were lost to time and most won't remember instead of remaking the ones where the original is still remembered by the modern generation and is still a cult classic.