Concerning Gamera's Mana Cannon did people hate it?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Concerning Gamera's Mana Cannon did people hate it?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I thought all the Mana stuff, was actually one of the reasons why Heisei Gamera is way more superior to the Showa one. The heisei series did a fantastic job at reinventing Gamera to not simply be a Godzilla knockoff. The whole Mana Cannon thing is part of that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Even the stuff they (arguably) borrowed from the Heisei Godzilla movies, including the title monster having a psychic link with a young woman, was done better. The fact that Gamera had previously been little more than a charming Godzilla knockoff probably had a lot to do with why the Kaneko/Ito version was a more well-conceived character.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I always thought it was ironic how Showa Gamera never managed to get out from Godzilla's shadow then the Heisei era came along and Gamera overshadowed Godzilla completely
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Stump Feet wrote:I always thought it was ironic how Showa Gamera never managed to get out from Godzilla's shadow then the Heisei era came along and Gamera overshadowed Godzilla completely
As much as I diss on many parts of the Showa Gamera movies I admit they do some things Godzilla does not. For one thing I do appreciate more that Gamera is rather fragile and has to be smarter than Godzilla. Another is even when you compare Gigan to Gamera's enemies he suddenly seems really straight forward and conservative. After re-watching the Gamera trilogy I got some of the old ones up for re-watch, got Gyaos on right now.

I watched some 'four fast facts' videos on the Gamera trilogy and apparently Kaneko was against giving Gamera his saucer mode. Now I'm super glad he seems to have won enough fights to get the movie he wanted by I'm glad Daiei won the saucer battle. I would have lived without it, since he'd still fly with his other mode, but I'd say Gamera's saucer mode is more iconic than his fire breathing and it's just damn cool to look at and it's something Godzilla can't do. It'd be like making a Godzilla movie and he doesn't breathe fire or is super fragile!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

^ They did, it's called GODZILLA (1998) :rimshot:

Gamera flying like a saucer though is the only reason I like him :shrug:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I know. I was dissing Godzilla 1998. I saw it in theaters for crying out loud.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Yeah, it was a little obvious by your wording.
And you're not the only one lol.

If we're turning this into a dick measuring contest then I've also seen Godzilla 1985 in theaters and quite a few Showa films at the drive-ins when I was little so :P
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Unlike Godzilla 1998 I'd so be happier seeing the Showa Godzilla or Godzilla 1985 on the big screen.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Would've been a serious shame if the saucer mode was removed from the trilogy. As I recall, some of the most spectacular scenes in those movies involved that ability. As silly as it may be, the effects team really made it look cool.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:Would've been a serious shame if the saucer mode was removed from the trilogy. As I recall, some of the most spectacular scenes in those movies involved that ability. As silly as it may be, the effects team really made it look cool.
I like that the second Heisei movie brought in flippers for his "jet" mode of flight. It just looks awkward to me when he flies with his arms and head out, but the flippers look cool and make sense aerodynamically.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I'm not sure I ever really liked the Flipper-Jones look.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

When kaiju suddenly pull out new powers of talents. like Godzilla's flying or magnetic pull, it can be odd or campy. However, the mana beam doesn't feel like that. It felt like Gamera only brought out the attack as a last ditch effort to destroy Legion. Gamera knew it was risky, as we see the effects of it in G3, but he had no choice.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.