Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
UltramanGoji

Re: Pokemon Game Discussion 2.0

Post by UltramanGoji »

Looking into EVs and IVs for anything other than training for competitive battling is a huge mistake.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

^I realize that now, but it has legitimately sunken in. Gen 3 onward is never going to be the same for me again.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Missingno. wrote:Not sure how many saw my last post detailing my current playthrough of Black & White and the absurd rules I have myself limited to before it was page'd, but I realized over the course of it all, I genuinely ruined Pokemon as a casual playing experience altogether. While that honestly began in X version when I started to breed for natures due to mega evolutions, I only recently educated myself on EV's and IV's, and.. the results are tragic. I used to never swap out in battle, but now I'm constantly changing who is in play because of the effort value system, and how every opposing Pokemon, wild or owned, rewards different EV's (Audino rewards HP EV's, for example). The most ironic part is that I do not even consider myself an elite player, as I tend to stay away from online competition altogether; and I'm sure that even with my newfound consideration for stats that I'd still get swept away because I don't look into strategy beyond simply how much damage I can dish out.
Don't worry about EVs and Natures if you're just playing through the game. I know it might be hard to shake once you know they're there, especially if your end up getting a nature that's detrimental to your Pokemon's very being but just remember that 99% of battles are braindead easy and that's not even taking into account the massive advantage items can give you, or that you're almost always overlevelled.

I wish they could come up with better ways to differentiate each Pokemon besides "this one has worse stats". Maybe visual changes like slightly different scale or texture patterns.
Last edited by Smuggers on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The issue for me became I would catch a pokemon I really liked, and then noticed it`s nature was "bad" even though I rarely play competitive and I would just feel bad I was using an "inferior" pokemon.

Not a complaint or anything, I like the EV/IV system because it adds individual uniqueness towards individual pokemon of the same species, but it makes you paranoid and OCD.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

It's annoying when you first learn it and realize how much of a grind entails (which is why I probably will not consider things as much in HG/SS), but it pays off when the results are there, even if they are overbearing for simply completing the story. My Rufflet finally evolved into a Braviary in the time from my post on the previous page to now, and of a possible maximum attack for about 197 at level 54 under perfect circumstances, it has 187 in that stat, probably because I got impatient and vouched to simply fight Audino rather than grind out the Herdier, Throh, Bouffalant, and other Rufflet on Route 10. Not too bad overall, I must say.
Smuggers wrote:I wish they could come up with better ways to differentiate each Pokemon besides "this one has worse stats". Maybe visual changes like slightly different scale or texture patterns.
Yeah, no kidding. The closest we've seen to that yet, which I actually liked by the way, was the Pumpkaboo/Gourgeist line and how there was different sizes. I think the only thing that was affected by the sizes stat-wise was speed and HP though, rather than fundamental differences that made them truly unique. But with them it brought a tiny bit more of the anime into the games (think: Gary's Krabby next to Ash's, or Bruno's Onix compared to Brock's, among others). However, I'm not sure how they could completely overhaul the system to where natures, EV's and IV's don't make or break a Pokemon.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
The 80's----The weather!

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

I replayed both Crystal and Emerald recently, it's amazing how much smoother things go when natures aren't there to worry about. I've come to just accept anything that's not actively detrimental and even then it's such a huge pain. :c

I really don't like the switch the 3D still, everything feels much smaller and slower to me (sprites were hella comfy.) My bestie wants to grab Sword or Shield as her first main series game since like Pearl though so I'll probs end up picking up the other so we can trade or whatever.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Fish Cakes wrote:I replayed both Crystal and Emerald recently, it's amazing how much smoother things go when natures aren't there to worry about. I've come to just accept anything that's not actively detrimental and even then it's such a huge pain. :c

I really don't like the switch the 3D still, everything feels much smaller and slower to me (sprites were hella comfy.) My bestie wants to grab Sword or Shield as her first main series game since like Pearl though so I'll probs end up picking up the other so we can trade or whatever.
Yeah, the transition from sprites to 3D models has not been kind to Gamefreak, either due to them having no idea how to handle implimenting or managing so many 3D models (They ain't the ones making them, that's Creatures Inc.), or sheer laziness, but it's clear the games have suffered because of this transition. Look at everything from Platinum to BW2, all high quality games across the board with a lot of attention and care put into them... and then you get to XY, where the need to get those 3D models working properly and somewhat polished and "future proof" caused the original intended game to be gutted and what we end up with is... a really skeletal game, and while it sorta gets better from there, gen 6/7 really do feel like the transition to 3D is massively hindering them, and causing the cracks in GF as a developer to show. The games used to flow smoother and had faster overall pacing as well before the transition, because now... holy hell is Gen 7 a nightmare to replay because of all the unskippable cutscenes and piss poor pacing.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I miss the Pokémon Snap and Stadium models lol
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Giratina93 wrote:Yeah, the transition from sprites to 3D models has not been kind to Gamefreak, either due to them having no idea how to handle implimenting or managing so many 3D models (They ain't the ones making them, that's Creatures Inc.), or sheer laziness, but it's clear the games have suffered because of this transition. Look at everything from Platinum to BW2, all high quality games across the board with a lot of attention and care put into them... and then you get to XY, where the need to get those 3D models working properly and somewhat polished and "future proof" caused the original intended game to be gutted and what we end up with is... a really skeletal game, and while it sorta gets better from there, gen 6/7 really do feel like the transition to 3D is massively hindering them, and causing the cracks in GF as a developer to show. The games used to flow smoother and had faster overall pacing as well before the transition, because now... holy hell is Gen 7 a nightmare to replay because of all the unskippable cutscenes and piss poor pacing.
Right on the pokedollars there, bruh. Animated sprites were cool as shit too in gen 5, then I play stuff like Octopath Traveler and think "man, what could have been". :/
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The battle pacing in Gen 5 might be the best in the entire series. Everything flows quickly and the animations on the sprites are fucking rock solid. Going from that to the sluggish speeds of Gen 6 and 7 is torturous.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Is it just me or are the designs for the Galar Pokemon just really bad? I only like Sobble, Drednaw and Corviknight. 3 out of 15 is pretty horrid.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

I.. Was honestly turned off after seeing the starter designs, let alone the rest of the Pokemon revealed thus far. I just haven't been too impressed with the new creatures as a whole since Gen 6 if I have to be honest; let alone game play for the titles in that time span. Sure there are some standouts as in every generation, but this one just doesn't have any sort of appeal to me whatsoever. Maybe it's because I'm focused on replaying/completing Black & White right now? I dunno, but this generation is truly the first time I have not had some sort of excitement or vested interest in an upcoming Pokemon title since I first started following Pokemon news around 2009 or 2010-ish.
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
The 80's----The weather!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Missingno. wrote:I.. Was honestly turned off after seeing the starter designs, let alone the rest of the Pokemon revealed thus far. I just haven't been too impressed with the new creatures as a whole since Gen 6 if I have to be honest; let alone game play for the titles in that time span. Sure there are some standouts as in every generation, but this one just doesn't have any sort of appeal to me whatsoever. Maybe it's because I'm focused on replaying/completing Black & White right now? I dunno, but this generation is truly the first time I have not had some sort of excitement or vested interest in an upcoming Pokemon title since I first started following Pokemon news around 2009 or 2010-ish.
I haven't bought a Pokemon game since Sun and Moon. Ultra didn't bring enough new things to the table for me to buy what is essentially the same game again. And Lets Go didn't interest me in the slightest. It's pretty sad honestly.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I haven't bought a Pokemon game since Sun and Moon. Ultra didn't bring enough new things to the table for me to buy what is essentially the same game again. And Lets Go didn't interest me in the slightest. It's pretty sad honestly.
Ah, so we're in the same boat, then. The last title I bought was Sun, and that didn't really leave any sort of impression to me; it was just there. I was initially excited to hear about the Let's Go titles, but I had (and still have) yet to get a Switch so I figured I'd wait and see what became of those, as they looked like they would truly be the first games to come close to what Colosseum/Gale of Darkness had done in terms of game play, which is something I've wanted to see taken to a full-length core game experience since I first played the aforementioned titles. Then I started seeing the news and reviews about the elements of the Go mobile game being ported into those titles, and had my hopes dashed. Now we are here, and it looks like there isn't much being taken advantage of for the platform that the Switch provides in terms of just how open the games could be, looking as though the series is still stuck in a DS. Honestly though, Sword and Shield are not available yet so all we can do is speculate, but it looks like a very rocky launch is headed this way, at least critically speaking.
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
The 80's----The weather!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

So, how about dim regional varients?
Long Live The Sting

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Stump Feet wrote:So, how about dim regional varients?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The weezing is God awful

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I think the KISS-esq. Zigzagoon line is comical
Long Live The Sting

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Stump Feet wrote:I think the KISS-esq. Zigzagoon line is comical
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The final evo is probably my least favorite Pokemon next to impidimp. I know it's said about every generation, but in my opinion this generation has overall the worst designed Pokemon.

Even gen 5 for all the stinkers it had also had some good stuff to balance out the bad.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Yeah, it's weird because I was all over Alolan forms when they were first revealed, but these regional forms have already worn out their welcome for me. Just make new Pokemon.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.