GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:46 am

Cookson wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Wonder if they're planning to let Anno do an anime sequel to Shin Godzilla?


I honestly feel Toho is letting Shin Godzilla go to waste. It made 75m in Japan.

Not every movie needs a sequel, honestly a sequel would only ruin Shin (IMO). Besides they are milking that puppy dry thourgh merch
Image

User avatar
Stump Feet
Futurian
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:53 am

Godzillian wrote:
Cookson wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Wonder if they're planning to let Anno do an anime sequel to Shin Godzilla?


I honestly feel Toho is letting Shin Godzilla go to waste. It made 75m in Japan.

Not every movie needs a sequel, honestly a sequel would only ruin Shin (IMO). Besides they are milking that puppy dry thourgh merch

This is essentially my feelings too, the only way I'd accept a sequel is if Anno did it though animation, and even then, I'd prefer if Shin stayed frozen and the sequel just took place in its world.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby daveblackeye15 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:34 am

Yeah I think I'm okay without a sequel to Shin leave us wonderingw aht's up with those tail humanoids...on the other hand what if it ended up being crafted as well as say the Heisei Gamera trilogy? So not miking it for every penny but not a 'we'll pump out a movie a year at least!' Plus maybe more Ogashira?

I'm leaning more towards the former though.

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3553
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Dr. Professor » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:43 am

I'd much rather stick with Shin being just one film. Not knowing what happens next really makes the ending for me.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
Stump Feet
Futurian
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:00 am

I just want the Atragon built using Godzilla's isotopes as a power source :cry:

Added in 9 minutes 56 seconds:
daveblackeye15 wrote:Yeah I think I'm okay without a sequel to Shin leave us wonderingw aht's up with those tail humanoids

I could care less about the Fifth form's fate, they can stay frozen alongside Shin for all I care. I'd much prefer a spin-off story detailing the advancements of the world since it's become unified, or even new mutations spawned from Godzilla's coolant leaking into Tokyo Bay.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

User avatar
G2000
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4698
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby G2000 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Still holding out hope for a Godzilla vs Eva series/film desu

Stump Feet wrote:I could care less about the Fifth form's fate, they can stay frozen alongside Shin for all I care. I'd much prefer a spin-off story detailing the advancements of the world since it's become unified, or even new mutations spawned from Godzilla's coolant leaking into Tokyo Bay.


The ending of Shin never really implied that, just that Japan would be taking a more active, independent role on the world stage (though still cooperating with allies like the US) in the wake of Godzilla's rampage

Unless you're referring to something else and my reading comprehension is shot
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
JesstrK
Interpol Agent
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby JesstrK » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:54 am

Has this been posted here yet?

https://animemojo.com/kaiju/godzilla/mo ... ashi-a8508

More Godzilla anime to come, may or may not be a continuation of the current anime but will probably use the same format (I'm assuming that means art style).

User avatar
Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2693
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Cookson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:23 pm

I guess a 2d anime film of Shin Godzilla 2 could work pretty well.

But yeah, we’ll see what happens. Hopefully the cgi style is cleaned up if they go that route again.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10164
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Hopefully it's a new continuity and not a sequel to the last three anime films.
Image

Xagzan
Samurai
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Xagzan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I finally, FINALLY got around to finishing off this trilogy, and my main question is what the heck was with that post credits scene? Did the natives start worshiping Ghidorah after all? What the hell? Wasn't that the entire point of Haruo's silly sacrifice, to avoid just that? Don't you bring Mothra's girls to ruin, Urobuchi!

Also, what the heck was Haruo's relationship with them? It probably didn't help that I couldn't always tell them apart, but it was throwing me for a loop. Did they both want to, *ahem*... "connect life" with him, or did I mistake 1 girl for both? And what was up with that weird ceremony in the ending montage, where Haruo is kneeling and getting anointed or some poop?

Anyway, that was an interesting take on Godzilla as a whole. Eldridorah was wild. Mechagodzilla City was kind of less so. And I did not care for them fridging Yuko. That's about it for my thoughts.

User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Xagzan wrote:Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I finally, FINALLY got around to finishing off this trilogy, and my main question is what the heck was with that post credits scene? Did the natives start worshiping Ghidorah after all? What the hell? Wasn't that the entire point of Haruo's silly sacrifice, to avoid just that? Don't you bring Mothra's girls to ruin, Urobuchi!

Also, what the heck was Haruo's relationship with them? It probably didn't help that I couldn't always tell them apart, but it was throwing me for a loop. Did they both want to, *ahem*... "connect life" with him, or did I mistake 1 girl for both? And what was up with that weird ceremony in the ending montage, where Haruo is kneeling and getting anointed or some poop?

Anyway, that was an interesting take on Godzilla as a whole. Eldridorah was wild. Mechagodzilla City was kind of less so. And I did not care for them fridging Yuko. That's about it for my thoughts.


My interpretation of the end credits scene was that Haruo has become a god to these people and is worshiped as the "wrathful one" with the idol in the ceremony resembling the basic physical outline of the Vulture that Haruo left and died in. I don't actually think this is meant to be a good ending as before Haruo's appearance these people lived in perfect harmony with Godzilla and the rest of nature but now being worshiped as a wrathful one, Haruo's life story has taught these people the concept of hatred or anger towards Godzilla that they never experienced before. Haruo saw how much better off humanity was living in peace with Godzilla and abandoning their fight against him which is part of what led him to commit suicide by Godzilla in order to keep his rage off or even the anger of humanity's past from infecting this new society but the end credits scene seems to indicated that he may have failed and that humanity will find itself in conflict with Godzilla yet again.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6307
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 pm

While not conclusive, we already have a "source" that disagrees with the panel we saw at comic con regarding whether the anime trilogy is part of the Reiwa era, or something separate:
Image

This shirt is from the upcoming Godzilla Fest and is to promote the franchises 65th anniversary. I'll be going, but I thought it was interesting how the shirt lists 1998, and the Legendary movies on the back, but not the anime trilogy. Now, of course you could argue that it would just make the shirt more clustered, but it's still interesting.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby mikelcho » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:32 am

I just want to see all three of these films get an official U.S. Japanese version/American version combination home video release somewhere down the line so that I can finally see them.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ultimategodzilla2054
Ronin
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:29 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Ultimategodzilla2054 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just want to see all three of these films get an official U.S. Japanese version/American version combination home video release somewhere down the line so that I can finally see them.

You honestly aren't missing much other than a whole trilogy of wasted potential and disappointment. Godzilla barely moves, or do anything other than shoot his beam at things. The characters are so one dimensional that it's ironic that it's a 3d anime, which is already a bad idea to begin with.
The only thing it has going for it are its ideas and concepts, but that's all they are: awesome ideas that are never fully expanded upon and philosophical nonsense with no actual meaning, substance, or weight behind it.
You fool, I'm no mere super godzilla. I'm a godzilla that has ascended past that form
I AM...
ULTIMATE GODZILLA
Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6307
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:28 pm

mikelcho wrote:I just want to see all three of these films get an official U.S. Japanese version/American version combination home video release somewhere down the line so that I can finally see them.

Most likely that’s never going to happen. The films are tied to Netflix. Honestly wouldn’t it be cheaper to just get a month of Netflix then get some expensive overpriced Blu-ray?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:25 pm

I wonder if Netflix even has home video rights.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6307
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:36 pm

Terasawa wrote:I wonder if Netflix even has home video rights.

Or even if they did, why would they, or anyone else, release any sort of physical product to something that has been free to watch for around a year now? Especially since it's such a niche product. Feels like an obvious loss IMO.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby mikelcho » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:52 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just want to see all three of these films get an official U.S. Japanese version/American version combination home video release somewhere down the line so that I can finally see them.

Most likely that’s never going to happen. The films are tied to Netflix. Honestly wouldn’t it be cheaper to just get a month of Netflix then get some expensive overpriced Blu-ray?
Actually, I did have Netflix once. A good friend of mine allowed me to share his Netflix subscription at no charge to me, but he was finally unable to keep it up and cancelled it long ago.

He also died a little while back, and since I'm unemployed, I can't afford to get a new one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:54 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I wonder if Netflix even has home video rights.

Or even if they did, why would they, or anyone else, release any sort of physical product to something that has been free to watch for around a year now? Especially since it's such a niche product. Feels like an obvious loss IMO.


But they're not free to watch right now.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm

After watching the new Ultraman anime, I gotta say, I really like the Netfilx anime versions of Ultraman & Godzilla. Both felt like fresh updates to them. I dooooooo wish we got a action packed monster fight, I mean every fight from Ultraman (especially that brutal season finale) was daaaaaaaaaaamn good, and it was 3D. But anyway, all the human vs Godzilla scenes were marvelous. Good job all around for both teams.

One thing that took me too long to realize about POTM, is that I like how it showcases how pointless war can be. They waste all this time, resources, and lives to kill "Godzilla", only to pay the price as Godzilla Earth awakens to curbstomps everything. Felt right at home with the anti-war themes of some of the Showa Godzilla entries.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.


Return to “Reiwa Era (2015-Present)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests