Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
G&G-Fan
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by G&G-Fan »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Well, that doesn't necessarily mean the two didn't have their personal differences, just that Kawakita had respect for him as a filmmaker. But considering I don't even remember where I heard the rumor of the two not getting along from, who knows. Regardless, I think its safe to say, even if you like the movies, that his work in Okawara's films really pales in comparison to the work he did for Omori.
I absolutely love Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. I think the special effects in GVMGII are very solid and superb. The only problem I can think that film had was some people complain the Rodan puppet was stiff, but this never bothered me. I thought it was fine. Godzilla and Rodan's fight is still awesome. The special effects are just amazing IMO. Especially when Godzilla is resurrected and destroys Super Mechagodzilla, and I love the animatronic faces for Godzilla and Baby Godzilla. With GVD, the Destoroyah crabs aren't the best, but I can easily overlook that with the aquarium scene, literally every scene with Burning Godzilla, Destoroyah's final form, Godzilla Junior, the fights, and Godzilla's death (that CGI is better than in any of the Millennium films). Though I will agree, Godzilla vs. Biollante probably has the best special effects of the bunch, and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah also has very good effects (and those are also two of some of my all time favorites, so I don't really have a problem admitting that).
MaxRebo320 wrote:Kawakita himself actually requested they show Destoryah (One of his lessar works) over Biollante (Easily his best FX job) at G-Fest 2014 though, for whatever reason.
It's probably because he said in an interview that his personal favorite one to work on was Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, mostly due to Burning Godzilla.

http://www.davmil.org/www.kaijuconversa ... wakit2.htm
DM: Which of the Godzilla films for which you directed the special effects is your favorite?

KK: GODZILLA VS. DESTROYER.

DM: Why?

KK: I was given the opportunity to show the death of Godzilla. That will never again happen during my lifetime.
I really recommend reading the interviews on David Milner's website. They are very interesting reads, and it's much more reliable then just taking random people's word for it.

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Well, I'm only going to clear some that I had heard in some medias from websites, and videos and blablabla, whatever.
-Altough Godzilla 1998 was officially renamed as Zilla, that doesn't mean that Godzilla 1998 IS Zilla. They are 2 different characters that shouldn't be confused one with the other.
-Godzilla: Final Wars is not set 40 years later as Toho Kingdom says, is actually set in 20XX.
-Shin Godzilla is not a mutated column of organisms, is a prehistoric creature.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've seen this brought up recently, and I honestly don't see it at all.

Shin Godzilla is not nationalistic like people make it out to be, I would even say there's barely anything about Japan's nationalism. I always found it to be a story about people coming together for the common good, in a way really no different than a portion of Honda's Godzilla films. Shin is basically about Japan picking itself up in order to become more independent, and to become stronger for its allies.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

When I was younger, my mom liked to make fun of the Godzilla movies, and I'd snap back at her because I'm a jerk, lol.

I especially got a kick out of correcting her when she was wrong.

I remember this one exchange after her making fun of the film I was watching:

Mom: "Why do you watch movies about a green lizard that runs around eating people"
Me (about as deadpan as I could muster): "Godzilla is not green and he does not eat people. If you're going to make fun of it, at least get it right".

I was 8, and I got grounded for my sass. Worth it though, lol.

The best one though is when I was 14 she was making fun of Rebirth of Mothra

Mom laughed when the momma Mothra died
Me: Why are you laughing?
Mom: Because its silly. Aw poor baby lost its mommy
Me: What? You told me you cried when you saw Bambi's mom die.
Mom: That's different, Bambi is a real thing
Me: Butterflies and moths are just as real as deer Mom.
Mom: No Bambi is more realistic than a giant bug.
Me: I'm sorry mom, explain to me again how the cartoon talking deer is more realistic than a puppet butterfly. Go on, please, die on that hill.

If looks could kill, I would not be alive today to make this post. But again, I like to think I won that round, lol.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:I was 8, and I got grounded for my sass. Worth it though, lol.
That counted as "sass" in your household? And "sass" was something you got grounded over?

You call yourself a "jerk" in your post, but the post is all about a way in which your mom was a jerk to you. I hope you haven't really internalized the idea that there was anything wrong with your behavior there.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Man, I didn't want to be the one to start a 'bash GojiDog's mom' fest (not least because I don't get the impression that you view your mom's behavior in a negative light, GojiDog, and yours is obviously the only opinion that counts with regards to this matter), but I was questioning that, too. She gets to attack what you like without provocation (I assume), and then won't allow you to offer a defense, even if she's wrong? She just forces you to agree or lay there and take it? That's a lot closer to my definition of 'jerk' than anything you did.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:Man, I didn't want to be the one to start a 'bash GojiDog's mom' fest (not least because I don't get the impression that you view your mom's behavior in a negative light, GojiDog, and yours is obviously the only opinion that counts with regards to this matter), but I was questioning that, too. She gets to attack what you like without provocation (I assume), and then won't allow you to offer a defense, even if she's wrong? She just forces you to agree or lay there and take it? That's a lot closer to my definition of 'jerk' than anything you did.
I was really worried that my reply would read as bashing her, and that's certainly not the tone I intended. I thought about deleting.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, 'bashing' is maybe a little strong, but you did use the word 'jerk'. *shrug* I almost deleted my post, too, so you're not alone in wondering whether you should've said anything. I guess we're both committed, now, though. :lol:

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

LOL, don't worry guys.

My mom and I get along just fine, but she's also a strict Catholic that is weirdly sensitive about stuff. And I've had these conversations with her too.

I didn't mean to paint the picture that my mom is an abusive parent or anything. She's just odd sometimes, and I've told her she's odd sometimes, and she's gotten better over the years, so we're good.

And I called myself a jerk in that situation mainly because I knew she was going to get mad, but I did it anyway to make a point. I fully intended to be a jerk, but sometimes, those that tell the truth need to be jerks, lol. Trust me, in my mind, I am the good guy in those stories.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, all right then. Glad to know there's no actual problem between you and your mom, and yeah, I 100% understand the need to be a jerk when being bluntly honest with your family. I've been on both sides of that more than once. :lol:

As for Godzilla misconceptions, my brother, who has lived with me for twenty years, was trying to tell me the other day that nuclear symbolism was something the fans had attached to Godzilla, and in the movies themselves he was just a big monster that was never really supposed to represent anything. That... was a head-scratcher, but it occurred to me later that he hasn't actually seen many of the movies. I know he's sat down and watched GTTHM, GXM, and G14, but I can't immediately think of any others, especially not recently. I'll have to get him to watch the original sometime soon, here, and we'll see if he changes his tune...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

JAGzilla wrote:As for Godzilla misconceptions, my brother, who has lived with me for twenty years, was trying to tell me the other day that nuclear symbolism was something the fans had attached to Godzilla, and in the movies themselves he was just a big monster that was never really supposed to represent anything. That... was a head-scratcher, but it occurred to me later that he hasn't actually seen many of the movies. I know he's sat down and watched GTTHM, GXM, and G14, but I can't immediately think of any others, especially not recently. I'll have to get him to watch the original sometime soon, here, and we'll see if he changes his tune...
Wow. Yeah. I mean, I appreciate reader response theory, so I think the nuclear symbolism aspect would have some validity even if it were just the invention of the fans, but...

Objectively that's just not true. It was the stated intent of the film's director.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The Skeleturtle isn't a living or undead creature.

Skeleturtle's inclusion in Mothra vs. Godzilla was a reference to a popular 1962 Italian documentary entitled Mondo Cane. The film contains a large number of documented atrocities to nature and animals, including turtles on the radiation-contaminated Bikini Atoll beaches, many of which were dead from the continued fallout from nuclear tests. The dried bones of the turtles move in the wind, which is reflected in Skeleturtle's movement in the film.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Stump Feet wrote:The Skeleturtle isn't a living or undead creature.

Skeleturtle's inclusion in Mothra vs. Godzilla was a reference to a popular 1962 Italian documentary entitled Mondo Cane. The film contains a large number of documented atrocities to nature and animals, including turtles on the radiation-contaminated Bikini Atoll beaches, many of which were dead from the continued fallout from nuclear tests. The dried bones of the turtles move in the wind, which is reflected in Skeleturtle's movement in the film.
what are you talking about bruh
Godzilla vs Mothra was just about a giant bug fighting a giant lizard

Did you even watch the movie?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

But it blinks.

The main site has a decent article on it. And it doesn't look like just wind swaying to me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It’s japanese name, is literally “mysterious bones of infant island”.

It doesn’t matter if it’s alive or not; it’s still most likely a reference to Mondo cane. I actually think it being dead, makes the film, and it’s brief thing about nuclear testing, more effective. It’s really creepy
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It’s japanese name, is literally “mysterious bones of infant island”.

It doesn’t matter if it’s alive or not; it’s still most likely a reference to Mondo cane. I actually think it being dead, makes the film, and it’s brief thing about nuclear testing, more effective. It’s really creepy
Exactly this. Thank you.

Acting as if it's alive kinda undermines the whole point of the scene on Infant Island.

And I don't think it blinks, looks like an optical illusion to me.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

JAGzilla wrote:

As for Godzilla misconceptions, my brother, who has lived with me for twenty years, was trying to tell me the other day that nuclear symbolism was something the fans had attached to Godzilla, and in the movies themselves he was just a big monster that was never really supposed to represent anything. That... was a head-scratcher, but it occurred to me later that he hasn't actually seen many of the movies. I know he's sat down and watched GTTHM, GXM, and G14, but I can't immediately think of any others, especially not recently. I'll have to get him to watch the original sometime soon, here, and we'll see if he changes his tune...
Update: this was actually a misunderstanding on my part. He was referring to G14 specifically, and yeah, the nuclear message is rather less sincere there than the Japanese movies. Also, he apparently has seen the original.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

He's just telling you that so you won't make him it :P
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Nonetheless, I would maintain that the skeleturtle is alive. Its motion does not look like a swaying in the wind, its upright position does not make sense for a skeleton without ligaments to maintain, the name indicating that it is only bones was a marketing name applied many decades after the fact and not by the original creators, and the appearance of blinking- illusion though it may well be- is certainly present enough for debate.

I don't particularly think that the presence of a strange and mutated creature is any more detrimental or undermining to the Infant Island themes than the carnivorous vines of the original Mothra. Both films indicate that both death, and mutation within the habitable life zone, have occurred on Infant Island; there is more than one form of consequence.

Either way, what is portrayed on screen points to me to the skeleturtle being a living creature. And since that is the conclusion of this site as well, to the best of my knowledge, I would call this at best a point for debate, but hardly a misconception that needs clearing up. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Considering the main site use to state Godzilla vs. Batman and The Devil was a thing, I wouldn't exactly put too much faith in what it says, especially when the bios haven't been updated in months and all we get are food reviews instead.

But I guess we'll just agree to disagree, although I still seriously feel treating it as if it were alive undermines the whole point
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting