The Star Trek Thread (All TV & Movies)

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: The Star Trek Thread (Including Discovery)

Post by Zarm »

Terasawa wrote:This was also one of the most annoying aspects of Enterprise. :roll: Also that it didn't make up for it with its uninteresting characters and rehashed plots.
Oh gosh, yes. :) I think Discovery has gone more to the extreme- better plotting but worse continuity- but this has been our lot since 2001.
Terasawa wrote:It may be too early to tell with the upcoming Picard spinoff but I think we may have to accept that the tight world building and visual and story continuity between the three 24th century series is something we'll never see with Trek again, or at least not under the current production group. :(
There is no reason to hope otherwise... and yet, against all logic, I still hope that it can buck the trend...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Zarm wrote:I think Discovery has gone more to the extreme- better plotting but worse continuity-
I've only seen the first episode, which I thought was just OK, but I'll take your word for it! It wasn't something I wanted to spend $9.99/mo on and unfortunately nothing I've heard about subsequent episodes has convinced me to change my mind.

Of course, I thought Into Darkness had given me a reason to never watch another BadRobot Trek film, but Beyond turned out to be pretty fun. So I guess never say never, but still...
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Terasawa wrote:
Zarm wrote:I think Discovery has gone more to the extreme- better plotting but worse continuity-
I've only seen the first episode, which I thought was just OK, but I'll take your word for it! It wasn't something I wanted to spend $9.99/mo on and unfortunately nothing I've heard about subsequent episodes has convinced me to change my mind.

Of course, I thought Into Darkness had given me a reason to never watch another BadRobot Trek film, but Beyond turned out to be pretty fun. So I guess never say never, but still...
That is actually one more episode than I have seen; I am just going by reputation. ;) I feel the same way about spending anything on that.

I felt quite the same about both films, incidentally (although I found myself strangely warming to Into Darkness when I watched the trilogy again last December. It's not quite what I'd call Star Trek... but it's not a bad trio of movies. Maybe it's just my bitterness toward Discovery making everything else look better by comparison...).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Picard Trailer.
Last edited by The One and Only on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Wow Hugh was in that trailer. Glad we will finally get resolution on that story line
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I`m very worried by the trailer, but also excited. I dislike the amount of emotional pandering and drama, it`s why DISCO isn`t so great for me. I also dislike the big shot of the Borg cube, and I hope they`re only a small part of the story.

Very excited about Seven returning. Honestly if the show was just a core of Picard, Seven and Someone New, I`d be very happy.

Also surprised no one is talking about the new Animated Series. While the style is generic, I appreciate how one of the officers is a Bajoran, and one is a weird cat lady. Could be a lot of goofy fun if they embrace the camp factor.

I also recently finished TAS, and watched Nemesis. All that`s left to watch all star trek things is the TOS films, and the recent trilogy of films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

From what I hear
Spoiler:
romulans are harvesting Borg technology
SpaceG92 wrote:

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

So i've seen Star Trek: TNG (including the movies) and Deep Space Nine. Where should I go from here? The original series? Discovery? Enterprise? The Hollywood movies with Chris Pine?
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:So i've seen Star Trek: TNG (including the movies) and Deep Space Nine. Where should I go from here? The original series? Discovery? Enterprise? The Hollywood movies with Chris Pine?
TOS is required viewing.

ENT after or before.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Godzilla21 wrote:From what I hear
Spoiler:
romulans are harvesting Borg technology
Did you ever read ,get ahold of the IDW prequel comic to the 2009 flick, Countdown.
Spoiler:
It detailed the events that lead up to the destruction of Romulus, and Nero and Ambassador Spock being sent back to the past. In the aftermath of Romulus' destruction, Nero comes across the Romulan High Council who had already left well before the planet ,and the rest of the population meet their fate. He finds out that hey were making their way to a Romulan secret weapons lab where they had been building a new series of war crafts utilizing reverse engineered Borg tech. Technology which Nero and his crew retrofitted on their ship. Guess the Romulans are still at it.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:So i've seen Star Trek: TNG (including the movies) and Deep Space Nine. Where should I go from here? The original series? Discovery? Enterprise? The Hollywood movies with Chris Pine?
The original series, definitely. Personally, I quite enjoy Voyager despite its reputation, and the Chris Pine movies are decent. Not really like the Star Trek you've already seen, But interesting entities in their own right. They would probably work best after having seen the original series and it's movies, though. I would give both Enterprise and Discovery a hard pass myself, but if nothing else, definitely Discovery a hard pass. ;)

As for the Picard trailer- it doesn't look like I want Star Trek to look. And I'm also a little concerned about the preponderance of action and tonal matters, although that could simply be an artifact of the clips they select for the trailer. There's enough wiggle room there that I'll give it the benefit of a doubt that there could be far more substance to the show than what they put in the trailer.

But,
Spoiler:
Seven of Nine. Data/B4. Hugh. Ahhhh!!! I was completely geeking out. I love the idea that all of the Borg survivors have the unique relationship with each other. It feels appropriate. And I like the idea of seeing Seven with her journey toward humanity far more advanced.

Throughout the little touches like these, and Picard's combadge, it felt like they were showing me that even though this Star Trek may still be going in a new direction, it remembers where it came from. I hope that it does so in terms of style and perhaps even pacing, as well... but at the very least, it feels much more promising.

Plus, the panel also mentions that were looking at
Spoiler:
Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis returning!
I'm sure that all these characters will just be small cameos. And in some ways, just shameless fanservice to hook in old school Trekkies even if the series itself doesn't contain much of what we're looking for at its core. But at least, as a way of creating hype and excitement for what the show could be... it's working! :)

Maranatha!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

So in my Star Trek-Trek, I've finally watched all of TOS, TAS, and TNG, and I am about half way through DS9.

Glad I'm watching DS9 as it is quite good and starting to really ramp up it seems.

I wasn't going to watch Voyager as I've heard its "not great" but after seeing 7 of 9 in the Picard trailer, I kind of feel like I have to watch that too now, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GojiDog wrote:So in my Star Trek-Trek, I've finally watched all of TOS, TAS, and TNG, and I am about half way through DS9.

Glad I'm watching DS9 as it is quite good and starting to really ramp up it seems.

I wasn't going to watch Voyager as I've heard its "not great" but after seeing 7 of 9 in the Picard trailer, I kind of feel like I have to watch that too now, lol.
Voyager gets a bad rap but there are some gems in there. Watch it
SpaceG92 wrote:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Godzilla21 wrote: Voyager gets a bad rap but there are some gems in there. Watch it
This. For sure.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager is probably my least favorite incarnation of Star Trek, and the first two or so seasons are really bad. But once you get out of that stretch of the, ahem, voyage, it gets good. My big issue with the show is that other then Janeway, Seven, and the Doctor, none of the characters are particularly interesting or have any development. I like Neelix and Tuvok, but they sort of really don`t matter in the shows overall continuity and lack any development. That`s before we get into the uselessness of Chakotay, Paris, Torres, and Kim.

Big spoilers, but:
Spoiler:
Voyager also has one of the worst endings to any television show.
But yeah, the show isn`t bad, It`s just, IMO, the worst of the Star Trek series (other then Disco) so it still gets a good recommendation.

Also I thought this was interesting:
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/24 ... rek-picard

While it is easy to be cynical about an actress making a social statement, at an event to promote something, I think the point is valid and I never really considered it. That`s cool.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would suggest that Voyager's first two seasons manage to capture a very unique tone, and would rank far better (for me) than TNG or DS9's. They manage to capture the same feel of endless possibilities that TNG's first managed without its preening pompousness, while effectively capturing a feeling of aloneness and mystery for a starship all on its own.

And while I wouldn't suggest that the show has great character development, I don't see them as any less-developing than the non-big-three of.TOS or TNG.

(I would also posit Voyager as far from the worst non-Discovery show, easily beating the wasteland that was Enterprise as well as the seldom-counted TAS; for me, it is one of 'the great ones' right alongside TOS, TNG, and DS9).
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Zarm wrote:I would suggest that Voyager's first two seasons manage to capture a very unique tone, and would rank far better (for me) than TNG or DS9's. They manage to capture the same feel of endless possibilities that TNG's first managed without its preening pompousness, while effectively capturing a feeling of aloneness and mystery for a starship all on its own.

And while I wouldn't suggest that the show has great character development, I don't see them as any less-developing than the non-big-three of.TOS or TNG.

(I would also posit Voyager as far from the worst non-Discovery show, easily beating the wasteland that was Enterprise as well as the seldom-counted TAS; for me, it is one of 'the great ones' right alongside TOS, TNG, and DS9).
Wow this captures my feeling 100% on Voyager.
SpaceG92 wrote:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ha that's actually pretty interesting.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Image
That is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.