The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by KManX89 »

Currently watching the new Hellboy, OMG it's fucking terrible. All the people who said it's gross and violent just for the sake of gross and violent are 100% right. This movie is nasty just to be nasty, which I could somewhat look past if the story was at least decent, but it's not. The story is all over the place, none of the characters have any depth, it's a mess. Why they let GDT go after the second movie, I'll never know.

Thank God I waited for the Redbox instead of paying $12 to see this in theaters.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:Currently watching the new Hellboy, OMG it's fucking terrible. All the people who said it's gross and violent just for the sake of gross and violent are 100% right. This movie is nasty just to be nasty, which I could somewhat look past if the story was at least decent, but it's not. The story is all over the place, none of the characters have any depth, it's a mess. Why they let GDT go after the second movie, I'll never know.

Thank God I waited for the Redbox instead of paying $12 to see this in theaters.
Wow, it's almost like R ratings mean nothing and there's more to the quality of a film such as writing, directing, acting, and pacing! (I say this in good fun, but I do hope this helps to show that ratings do not equal quality)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Alien (1979): 8.75/10
Aliens: 8.75/10
Alien 3: 7/10
Alien Resurrection: 7.50/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Maritonic wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Currently watching the new Hellboy, OMG it's skreeonking terrible. All the people who said it's gross and violent just for the sake of gross and violent are 100% right. This movie is nasty just to be nasty, which I could somewhat look past if the story was at least decent, but it's not. The story is all over the place, none of the characters have any depth, it's a mess. Why they let GDT go after the second movie, I'll never know.

Wow, it's almost like R ratings mean nothing and there's more to the quality of a film such as writing, directing, acting, and pacing! (I say this in good fun, but I do hope this helps to show that ratings do not equal quality)
It's about on par with the 2003 DareDevil film*.

No, not the much better R-rated Director's Cut, the hacked-to-bits PG-13 theatrical release. You know, the one that had to remove a bunch of violence and a hooker subplot, which left a bunch of plot holes and story structure issues (hence why the DC is so much better) just to BARELY avoid an R rating? Hence showing why it sometimes IS needed to properly tell a story (PG-13 RoboCop didn't work, either, even with the exact same writers as the hard R original; gee, I wonder why)?

*Seriously, it is.

If anything, it only shows an R rating isn't a guaranteed success, especially a movie with so many production issues. Still doesn't justify watering down films, though, a lot of good it did THESE movies (and countless others). Hell, it actually HELPS my case against studio interference.
Last edited by KManX89 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KManX89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Currently watching the new Hellboy, OMG it's skreeonking terrible. All the people who said it's gross and violent just for the sake of gross and violent are 100% right. This movie is nasty just to be nasty, which I could somewhat look past if the story was at least decent, but it's not. The story is all over the place, none of the characters have any depth, it's a mess. Why they let GDT go after the second movie, I'll never know.

It's about on par with the 2003 DareDevil film*.

No, not the much better R-rated Director's Cut, the hacked-to-bits PG-13 theatrical release. You know, the one that had to remove a bunch of violence and a hooker subplot, which left a bunch of plot holes and story structure issues (hence why the DC is so much better) just to BARELY avoid an R rating? Hence showing why it sometimes IS needed to properly tell a story (PG-13 RoboCop didn't work, either, even with the exact same writers as the original; gee, I wonder why)?

*Seriously, it is.

If anything, it only shows an R rating isn't a guaranteed success, especially a movie with so many production issues. Still doesn't justify watering down films, though, a lot of good it did THESE movies (and countless others). Hell, it actually HELPS my case against studio interference.
Okay, but you do realize your case is about taking a film that is written, directed, filmed to be R rated and then cutting footage to make it PG-13, rather than setting out to make a film that just happens to be rated PG-13 as opposed to R. There's a big difference there. (And good lord you can stop posting that video, man lol)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I'll probably receive a lot of hate for this but I last watched the 2019 Hellboy and actually really enjoyed it.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:I'll probably receive a lot of hate for this but I last watched the 2019 Hellboy and actually really enjoyed it.
It wasn't a complete dud, there actually were some good ideas buried in there as others have attested to, but like I said, it was pretty much fucked with all the production issues. Who knows how it would've turned out if Neil Marshall had been allowed to make the movie he wanted to make without all the interference from producers, but it just wasn't meant to be. We saw it coming a mile away with Fant4shit as well.

Oh, and I just rewatched Alita Battle Angel after picking up the Blu-Ray, great movie. Also watched the 7th episode of Euphoria on HBO Go yesterday. Sunday's series finale is gonna be something to behold.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Friday the 13th Part 2 & Shark Night. Both were meh.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

47 Meters Down: Uncaged (2019)

3 out of 10 stars

Interesting concept. Basically Jaws meets The Descent otherwise an lame and another typical shark movie. The acting was fine as is the pacing (Since its an hour and 20 something minutes if you don't count credits) but the characters weren't that interesting and the movie didn't establish or develop the relationship process between the sisters enough (Such as one of them giving this bitch who is mean to her sister the finger in public rather then savagely roast her), felt like a straight to DVD sequel, cheap lines of dialogue in the beginning, reliant on jump scares as usual (Seriously is this what horror movies will stick to nowadays?) and also leads to various questions like
Spoiler:
How do fish scream (I'm not kidding this actually happens)? Also how can such an enclosed environment support a population of massive predators and an sustainable food source? Those screaming blind fish can't be enough to keep them thriving.
That said I'd only watch this if your a sucker of shark movies like myself otherwise your not getting much from this. Not the worst movie this year (I'd put this above Glass, Brightburn, Pet Sematary and Captain Marvel) but definitely disappointing and probably will still grab it on disc for collectors sake especially since I have the first movie. If I were to suggest I'd go watch Crawl instead which also came out this year.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Currently watching 'Serengeti' on Discovery Channel. I can't say how exactly, but, there's a bit of a surreal quality to the cinematography.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Just watched the Quentin Tarantino movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Movie is unreal.

Great movie. Not sure how I feel about the Bruce Lee scene. Mike Moh got his mannerisms done great like his fleet of foot stance. But as for a random stuntman besting him in a fight, I don't know. It's fine though, I know Tarantino likes to play fast and loose with facts for the sake of fiction. Also The Manson Family house is more wretched than the Sawyer house in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Disgusting.

I do enjoy how Tarantino breaks convention from time to time for how he shoots and establishes his scenes. For example, the part where Leo is acting for the Western, it's presented on screen as though it were a finished and edited movie instead of with the camera crew around him. Until he breaks the immersion when Leo forgets his line.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Good Boys.

I'm here to tell you, the concept of a raunchy comedy featuring 12-year-old doing adult shit was every bit as funny and off-the-walls as it sounds and made for a good time at the theater. Seth Rogen even takes the piss out of it in the red band trailer by saying "you can totes do these things in the movie, but you can't watch yourself do them in the trailer".

It follows the same concept of Superbad, except with 12-year-olds, and while this isn't on that movie's level (which kinda goes without saying since Superbad can't be topped), some of the jokes really do land because of how batshit insane it is. I was dying at some of the jokes they pulled in this movie. Story structure and pacing isn't great (but good enough, I guess), but on a purely comedic level, it was a funny, entertaining time with just enough character development to keep you invested.

Oh and speaking of character arcs:
Spoiler:
Did Hannah and Lily secretly have a "thing" for each other towards the end of the movie? Eh, maybe I'm looking too far into it.
7.5/10.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys I last watched the Bruce Lee movie Way of The Dragon

Always loved this movie, probably a good pick for my favorite Bruce Lee movie. Anyway notice how well shot the martial arts scenes actually are? Nothing flashy or over edited, just nice wide shots that are held with minimal edits.

Maybe it's just me but I only just noticed that the girl who plays Miss Chen, Nora Miao, is actually a beauty. Not sure how I missed this until now, or maybe I did notice but didn't think much of it until now.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Alita: Battle Angel: 7.50/10 (The best (and only passable) live action American adaptation of an Japanese manga/anime that I've seen
The Lion King (2019) : 6/10
Aladdin (2019): 6/10 (I still think that having Guy Ritchie known for violent crime thrillers like Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is an extremely odd choice for a Disney director)
Last edited by Julia Bristow on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Crocodylus, this is a very strong contender for my worst movie of the year, and worst monster movie of all time! It feels like the whole thing is made up of b-roll footage, time had no meaning in this as the run time is real short. The events of the film are taking place over a week, but feel like it takes place over two days. Huge plot points seem to happen off screen, characters are interested off screen and disappear. most of the monster sences happen off camera as well.

From what I've gathered from this mess, that a professor trys to cure his son's cancer by injecting him with D.N.A from a fossil of a prehistoric crocodile. This mutants the son into a crocodile-human hybrid (i.e a guy in cheep dinosaur Halloween mask) and he hide a killing spree.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rewatching John Wick 3. Ah fun times!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just watched An Affair to Die For on Netflix, holy shit was that stupid. This movie is filled with convoluted logic and a messy plot that's all over the place. I don't know why this showed up on my Popular on Netflix queue, the people who watch Netflix must have some INCREDIBLY low standards and watch anything they put out. The only reason I even gave it the time of day (which I'll never get back) is because it said popular on Netflix. And because I was bored to tears, lol.
Last edited by KManX89 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultraman02
GPN Volunteer

Post by Ultraman02 »

I've been on a Looney Tunes (New, OG and others like Duck Dodgers) binge these past few days.
And I gotta say, it has HELD UP.
80% of the comedy is god-tier, every character there is fun and interesting. I never got bored, really.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I picked up this six pack of Stephen King movies the other day and decided to give Bag Of Bones and Secret Window a try because why not? Hadn’t seen em.

Wow to both, they are so incredibly dumb it’s not even funny, Bag Of Bones was total a cringey experience to sit through with some weirest exposition dumps and hammy acting to boot.The payoff would make Supernatural proud at least.

Secret Window is just so strange, Johnny Depp plays dirt and the ending twist doesn’t pay off whatsoever, it’s kinda like ayyyy I killed you, who whoulda thought even though Inhavent showed one human emotion since the start of this flick.
Last edited by Orichalcum on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Hey guys I last watched the Fred Dekker movie The Monster Squad.

Good movie and the best Gillman suit since the original Creature From The Black Lagoon. But did anybody notice the massive flaw? When they open the portal to limbo all the monsters have been shot, stabbed or impaled by that point. So why bother? All it does is banish Frankenstein's Monster who was a good guy. The only detail is that Dracula actually does get back up from being impaled and is subsequently banished to limbo.