List Of Japanese Kaiju Films that Feature Mt. Fuji.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

List Of Japanese Kaiju Films that Feature Mt. Fuji.

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I want to make a list of Japanese kaiju films that feature Mt. Fuji in some capacity. The film has to have a shot of Mt. Fuji physically; it can`t just be an illustration featured in the films. The monsters don`t have to fight on it, just have characters or a scene there. The reason why I want to do this will become abundantly clear in the coming weeks. I`m going off the top of my head, so post things to add.

Godzilla Series:
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster
Invasion of the Astro Monster
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
GMK
Godzilla Final Wars
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: List Of Japanese Kaiju Films that Feature Mt. Fuji.

Post by edgaguirus »

I think you got all of them. I don't really pay much attention to natural locations in these films, but more the man made landmarks we see in them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

• Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
  • Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
  • The Mysterians
  • Frankenstein Conquers the World
  • Gamera vs. Gyaos
  • Gamera: GOTU
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
  • Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
  • The Mysterians
  • Frankenstein Conquers the World
  • Gamera vs. Gyaos
  • Gamera: GOTU
I doubt doubt you on MG, but that’s really strange, because the finale of the film takes place In Okinawa, which geographically is very far away.

Thanks for the update.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

True, but Mechagodzilla first appears at Mt. Fuji, and the first fight takes place in Tokyo. Apparently the Black Hole Aliens' plan was to immediately lay waste to Tokyo and Godzilla. It's odd then that they're located in a cave in Okinawa, but that's also not far from the Azumi Shrine, and they desperately want to stop King Caesar from showing up too.

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted. There's a lot of travel back and forth from Japan and Okinawa throughout the first half of the movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Varan and Rodan fly by Fuji? In any case, this just proves Toho needs to look a little outside the box for kaiju destruction scouting. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Shin has a seen that Mount Fuji could have been visible but isn’t really due to the weather
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Varan and Rodan fly by Fuji?
You're correct if you're talking about those monsters in the context of DAM, which was mentioned in the OP.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:True, but Mechagodzilla first appears at Mt. Fuji, and the first fight takes place in Tokyo. Apparently the Black Hole Aliens' plan was to immediately lay waste to Tokyo and Godzilla. It's odd then that they're located in a cave in Okinawa, but that's also not far from the Azumi Shrine, and they desperately want to stop King Caesar from showing up too.

Yeah, it's pretty convoluted. There's a lot of travel back and forth from Japan and Okinawa throughout the first half of the movie.
I'll bet that the Simeons had a base in Mt. Fuji that was used to build Mechagodzilla and was then destroyed when he was finished and ready to go (hence the explosions).

And I've got one thing to ask (getting a little off track here): I think that Anguirus was on Monster Island and was calling out to Godzilla (who was sleeping inside a mountain (or volcano, I'm not sure which) on the island) and the explosions there after that were either the volcano erupting and releasing Godzilla or Godzilla using his nuclear pulse to get out (hence Godzilla's roar in the same scene). Am I right here or is this scene something different entirely?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Anguirus can’t be on Monster Island. Wherever he is it’s very snowy (he brushes some off of a hill with his carapace), which would be very unlikely or maybe impossible for an island in the South Pacific.

I’ve heard from other fans that he’s in “Siberia” but I’ve never seen an official source for that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:Anguirus can’t be on Monster Island. Wherever he is it’s very snowy (he brushes some off of a hill with his carapace), which would be very unlikely or maybe impossible for an island in the South Pacific.

I’ve heard from other fans that he’s in “Siberia” but I’ve never seen an official source for that.
Okay, thanks for confirming that. I didn't even know it was snowing there; I honestly always thought it was something to do with the way the scene was filmed.

I take it, then, that Godzilla's in the same area, too, since he heard Anguirus' call.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don’t know about that. I don’t think there’s enough context to determine where Godzilla is in relation to Anguirus.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:I don’t know about that. I don’t think there’s enough context to determine where Godzilla is in relation to Anguirus.
I didn't know that, either.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I've always heard that Anguirus was in Antarctica but that could just be a rumor among fans, too. It's not specified in the film.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Anguirus fought Fake Godzilla somewhere in Hokkaido, didn't he? I think it was stated that Anguirus' earthquake had been moving south, implying that he started out north of Japan.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm looking at a map that details major islands and locations in the Godzilla series. Nothing about Anguirus being in the Northern Hemisphere. In fact, save for Rodan destroying Moscow in DAM, and the sub being destroyed in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, there's nothing about Russia or Siberia. Of course this is a guidebook created well after the films, but if the maps don't contradict the movies, and the movies don't state a location, there's no reason to believe any of that. A lot of it is just an substantiated fan theory that Angurius represents Russia, and GRA is America fighting Russia and Japan caught in the crossfire.

There's plenty of uninhabited islands north of Japan and to the sides of Japan. It's also easy to make fictional islands up. For example, Andora island, is on the very most northern tip of Japan beyond Hokkaido, almost near Russia.

Added in 12 minutes 26 seconds:
Just posting this because it's interesting:
These islands are disputed territory between Japan and Russia. Japan claims the four southernmost islands, next to Hokkaido. It's likely, and possible, that if Angurius was in the north, that's where he was.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Someone ought to check issues of G-Fan that covered G-Fest XI (2004), when Teruyoshi Nakano was the special guest. I've always connected that event with the Siberia claims, although I couldn't tell you if that actually came up in his panels or not because I wasn't there. Lord knows some fans ask these behind the scenes people all sorts of dumb questions about how strong the monsters are, etc., so it's possible he mentioned it then. If he did, is that gospel? Probably not, but at least we'd know a source for that claim.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Terasawa wrote:Someone ought to check issues of G-Fan that covered G-Fest XI (2004), when Teruyoshi Nakano was the special guest. I've always connected that event with the Siberia claims, although I couldn't tell you if that actually came up in his panels or not because I wasn't there. Lord knows some fans ask these behind the scenes people all sorts of dumb questions about how strong the monsters are, etc., so it's possible he mentioned it then. If he did, is that gospel? Probably not, but at least we'd know a source for that claim.
That reminds me of one of the years when Don Frye was a guest at G-Fest. Some fan asked him who would win in a fight between Space Godzilla and Keizer Ghidorah and the poor dude looked so confused. :lol:
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:That reminds me of one of the years when Don Frye was a guest at G-Fest. Some fan asked him who would win in a fight between Space Godzilla and Keizer Ghidorah and the poor dude looked so confused. :lol:
I'm surprised he didn't say Trump would.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:That reminds me of one of the years when Don Frye was a guest at G-Fest. Some fan asked him who would win in a fight between Space Godzilla and Keizer Ghidorah and the poor dude looked so confused. :lol:
I'm surprised he didn't say Trump would.
I didn't know Don Frye was a big Trump Thumper. That makes the bad acting suddenly less appealing.