GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by Stump Feet »

G2000 wrote:Image

The only real answer
I will absolutely riot and protest if this doesn’t happen in Godzilla vs. Kong…
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: GODZILLA VS. KONG (2020) General Discussion Thread (No Leaks, Unofficial Photos/Vids, etc.)

Post by BlankAccount »

goji89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
goji89 wrote:
So? It's not like they are going to challenge each other with thumb wars.....come on man.
Last time I checked Ghidorah doesn`t have any thumbs 8-)
Exactly so whats the point of Kong having thumbs have anything to do with it? Sure him having thumbs allows him to grab objects but..........
Grab King Ghidorah by the d*cks, twist and pull.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

That wouldn’t work, his heads would just grow back ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Stump Feet wrote:That wouldn’t work, his heads would just grow back ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Rip and Tear

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

goji89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
goji89 wrote:
So? It's not like they are going to challenge each other with thumb wars.....come on man.
Last time I checked Ghidorah doesn`t have any thumbs 8-)
Exactly so whats the point of Kong having thumbs have anything to do with it? Sure him having thumbs allows him to grab objects but..........
Kong pretty much has two sets of arms. His two arms and his two legs which are pretty much as dexterous and helpful/more powerful than his arms. All he needs is a thick skin, which I'm sure he will have. Plus, he is definitely going to weigh at least 80,000 tons considering Rodan weighs 40,000 tons and is 154 feet tall. At that weigh, Kong is gonna be insanely strong, at least enough to actually swing Ghidorah from his tail the same way Godzilla did. Kong is also way faster and smarter. There's no him beating King Ghidorah, but there is him putting up a tough fight.
Last edited by KingKong2005 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

KingKong2005 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Last time I checked Ghidorah doesn`t have any thumbs 8-)
Kong pretty much has two sets of arms. His two arms and his two legs which are pretty much as dexterous and helpful/more powerful than his arms. All he needs is a thick skin, which I'm sure he will have. Plus, he is definitely going to weigh at least 80,000 tons considering Rodan weighs 40,000 tons and is 154 feet tall. At that weigh, Kong is gonna be insanely strong, at least enough to actually swing Ghidorah from his tail the same way Godzilla did. Kong is also way faster and smarter. There's no him beating King Ghidorah, but there is him putting up a tough fight.
Yeah his legs are something I'd love for him to use. Kaiju kicking done well is something that would be cool to see done in a non-cheesy way. Real chimps can kick quite well, and with Kong's advanced humanlike fighting style (did you see his suplexes and shoulder throws during the Ramarak fight?) he'll use everything he's got. Plus I think he's smart enough to do something Finalgoji did to Keizer: Grab one or maybe two of his heads just as they're about to fire their beams and turn them towards the body or another head. Not sure how effective it would be, but considering KG's beams tear through buildings and damage the almost similarly durable Godzilla, they might cause some damage to Ghidorah too.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:To defeat Ghidorah, they`ll probably give Kong a nuke and we`ll get "FIRE-KONG"
Damn Mark got that monkey JUICED
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

If I was Kong and I had to fight Ghidorah I would simply tie his three necks together into a lovely bow.

martian001
Ronin

Post by martian001 »

Any theories about what we can expect from todays Monsterverse panel in regards to the new info?

Gooblamon
Samurai

Post by Gooblamon »

martian001 wrote:Any theories about what we can expect from todays Monsterverse panel in regards to the new info?
There will be literally nothing to talk about. Its not an official panel, it's a small podcast panel and nothing more

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Moogabunga wrote:So here's a question:

We're supposed to believe that Kong is a threat to Godzilla, right? We're supposed to believe that Kong and Godzilla are near equals...

So why doesn't anyone in Monarch ever suggest anything in relation to Kong after Godzilla nearly dies from the Oxygen Destroyer? Why is it set up to where reviving Godzilla is their only option? To never mention Kong as a solution in any way whatsoever seems to suggest that they don't view Kong as an equal to take on Ghidorah to me...
Because Monarch themselves know Kong aint got sh*t on Godzilla 8-)
Last edited by Gooblamon on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Does anyone know when today's Monsterverse podcast panel happens?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I find it amusing everyone is like "how is King Kong gonna fight Godzilla" as if Godzilla is this unmovable object when in every Monsterverse film so far the hero monster has needed help from humans even against monsters that are technically less powerful than them.

I see Godzilla as King Kong's King Ghiorah. Technically superior to him, not impossible to fight.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Totally agree and great analogy.

I’m dubious about the film itself...the director is so-so, the franchise hasn’t really hit a home run yet and the cast and crew seem pretty middling.

But.

We are getting a modern day Godzilla vs Kong film. Something I never thought I’d see in my life AND the Legendary Godzilla and Kong are my favorite designs of both monsters. I’m excited but realistic I think. I don’t think the movie will be “good” but perhaps it will be fun.

And yeah, Kong is Rocky, Godzilla is Ivan Drago or Creed. It depends on the film regarding what they want to do with that. If it’s more of an Apollo Creed analogy Kong’s triumph will be in just going the distance and earning the king’s respect. Making a god bleed.

If it’s Drago....well Kong is going to take a beating but ultimately emerge the winner.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Smuggers wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:To defeat Ghidorah, they`ll probably give Kong a nuke and we`ll get "FIRE-KONG"
Damn Mark got that monkey JUICED
Eh, don’t get too excited, it’s probably just Soma…

Last edited by Stump Feet on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

king_ghidorah wrote:Totally agree and great analogy.

I’m dubious about the film itself...the director is so-so, the franchise hasn’t really hit a home run yet and the cast and crew seem pretty middling.

But.

We are getting a modern day Godzilla vs Kong film. Something I never thought I’d see in my life AND the Legendary Godzilla and Kong are my favorite designs of both monsters. I’m excited but realistic I think. I don’t think the movie will be “good” but perhaps it will be fun.

And yeah, Kong is Rocky, Godzilla is Ivan Drago or Creed. It depends on the film regarding what they want to do with that. If it’s more of an Apollo Creed analogy Kong’s triumph will be in just going the distance and earning the king’s respect. Making a god bleed.

If it’s Drago....well Kong is going to take a beating but ultimately emerge the winner.
Yeah I'm hoping we get the Apollo Creed route. A satisfying defeat can be just as good as a victory. Maybe even have Godzilla collapse like he did in G14 after knocking Kong out cold to show that while Kong lost, he didn't go down without a heck of a fight.

There is a delicate balance between good and fun that's pretty dang hard to get right. With only 4 films, I don't think the Monsterverse will get anything pleasing to both critics and people wanting monster mashes unless it continues along and eventually gets it right with trial and error (one of the many reasons I want the MV to keep going). Considering this is literally titled Godzilla vs Kong though, I'm hoping people go in expecting less human drama and deep meaningful messages or symbolism and expecting more of Godzilla and Kong beating the poop out of each other. It's sure to be a fun movie unless they really skreeonk it up and I'm most likely gonna enjoy it if it's anything like KOTM.

Any speculation on the score for the movie? I'm desperately hoping we get Bear McCreary again. After hearing the majestic KOTM soundtrack, I don't think anything could top that so easily. (Then again I could be surprised, just keep it bombastic and memorable instead of somewhat generic)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’ll be pleased as can be if they combine the people stuff from GKOTM which was completely serviceable but not annoying, maybe throw in a John C Riley like scene stealer, and then kick up the monster action to Skull Island levels or beyond and I’ll be happy with the MV even if that’s the last film

And agreed. We need Bear to come back. Best part of GKOTM in my mind
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic
Interpol Agent

Post by Sonic »

Bear is a MUST!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Bear for the win....

Why?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I expect it to be 3 fights. Godzilla wins one, Kong wins one, and the final match is the tie breaker that shows who wins.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Yeah, um, if anyone thinks anything is dropping at that podcast panel...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HBcq-ABLo ... l4w9f8fkjr