Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by BioDestroyer »

That's the thing. It had *some* interesting ideas. Well, the the second and third film did. I honestly don't see a single point to the first one aside from "we have a method that can kill Godzilla". But the anime tropes were so hammy and just about everything was executed as poorly as it could possibly be. They took almost every interesting idea and drug it through the mud. There was a dearth of interesting or believable characters, the main character's angst made little sense especially with how Godzilla was portrayed, and being so focused on trying to subvert so many expectations made it seem like they forgot to have a reason for wanting to subvert them.

So many things just felt so empty. I really enjoyed the entire idea of Ghidorah and the third film was the most interesting out of the three, however it was almost just as nonsensical and focusing so much on Haruo's issues that had no real weight to them since they were generic angry anime protagonist tropes without the quality was a real disservice to the project. There were so many opportunities and several interesting ideas but the execution was just downright puzzling.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I hope that if and when we get another Godzilla anime film, it's actually good. In my opinion this trilogy was a huge mess.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

My biggest issue with the anime trilogy was that they really didn’t take advantage of animation for the Kaiju. You could do crazy fights with Godzilla and the rest in a purely animated movie with action that can rival the main films. But in an effort to seem deeper than it actually is, it just came off as tacky to me personally. I hope they give it a second shot one day. Godzilla deserves better in terms of animation.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dynomy-DX wrote:My biggest issue with the anime trilogy was that they really didn’t take advantage of animation for the Kaiju. You could do crazy fights with Godzilla and the rest in a purely animated movie with action that can rival the main films. But in an effort to seem deeper than it actually is, it just came off as tacky to me personally. I hope they give it a second shot one day. Godzilla deserves better in terms of animation.
Ironically what seems to be holding back animation and CGI, something that doesn't have the same limits as suits, is budget. How much you're animating can determine if your CGI films cost less or more than just filming a guy in a rubber suit smashing hand made miniatures.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:My biggest issue with the anime trilogy was that they really didn’t take advantage of animation for the Kaiju. You could do crazy fights with Godzilla and the rest in a purely animated movie with action that can rival the main films. But in an effort to seem deeper than it actually is, it just came off as tacky to me personally. I hope they give it a second shot one day. Godzilla deserves better in terms of animation.
Ironically what seems to be holding back animation and CGI, something that doesn't have the same limits as suits, is budget. How much you're animating can determine if your CGI films cost less or more than just filming a guy in a rubber suit smashing hand made miniatures.
Well, you got me there. Still, I’m sure with a better budget, you could have done amazing stuff with these characters. But, what’s done is done at this point.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dynomy-DX wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Well, you got me there. Still, I’m sure with a better budget, you could have done amazing stuff with these characters. But, what’s done is done at this point.
I remember reading somewhere that the reason we don't see Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah's bodies is cause it would have gone over the budget.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the reason we don't see Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah's bodies is cause it would have gone over the budget.
Tru for MG. KG's model got corrupted and they couldn't use it IIRC.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Why do I have the feeling that the story behind the making of these films would be more interesting that the actual films themselves?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Why do I have the feeling that the story behind the making of these films would be more interesting that the actual films themselves?
Well, the films not being very interesting certainly makes that a better sell. Also film-making is interesting stuff. Had no idea about the corrupt files and stuff though. Also strange that showing more monsters would make them go over budget. Was none of that thought out beforehand? I mean you have all those dumb mechs and spaceships and stuff and the first film is literally called Planet of Monsters (or whatever the proper title is called) and there's literally only two daikaiju in it....and they're the same species.

I agree, I want to hear more on how all of this came together. Because it was a right mess.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So Mechagodzilla's body couldn't be animated because of budget restraints? If only we knew that when people were going ballistic over him not appearing :lol: I will say though I thought they worked around that problem pretty well.

King Ghidorah on the other hand, I was perfectly fine with how he appeared, but how do you get a model for a animated film corrupted? I mean if he's the only other monster for Godzilla to be shown fighting, shouldn't there have been backup files? I'm not knowledgeable in this, it's just strange for this to be the reason and they couldn't have done anything about it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Honestly, I enjoyed the bizarre takes on both characters, but would have appreciated at least a little more autonomy on the part of MG. Or, at least showing his head light up a few times when the assault was going on/going wrong. That's all, really. Definitely would love to see a behind the scenes thing- for sure.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

This may or may not be on topic, but I might let out this thought I just had.
The limited-frame/cel-shaded style actually reminds me a bit of the recent Dragon Prince series.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Dynomy-DX wrote:
Tru for MG. KG's model got corrupted and they couldn't use it IIRC.
Source?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Damn, the directors and Urobuchi are so good that the last minute changes they made because of budget limitations and corrupted models just somehow managed to go with the themes they were going for and the direction they outlined multiple times.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Still waiting for a physical release

Still

Waiting

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ROMG4 wrote:Still waiting for a physical release

Still

Waiting
isn't there some in Japan? i don't know how much they cost but they exist.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ROMG4 wrote:Still waiting for a physical release

Still

Waiting
I hate to say it, but the further and further we get into the digital age the rarer and rarer physical releases will get. Not even for just something niche like the anime trilogy. It also wouldnt make sense to sell something on a disc that would basically give you a few months of netflix price wise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

You can just torrent the films anyways, the webrips are pretty good and I'm sure people have already ripped the Blu-Rays from Japan.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

For the first time in my life, I honestly don't care if they come out on DVD. I am a hardcore physical media loyalist (I only pay physical money if I am getting a physical CD, DVD, book, etc. in return) and I refuse to feed the evil digital monster that is rapidly killing something I highly value. But to me, these anime movies were so God awfully boring, I know I would never watch them again. It's the first original Godzilla DVD(s) I would willingly skip buying. For the few completists who want them, I feel your pain since I am (usually) a completist as well and I hope you can get them. But I myself would get more entertainment from flushing $20 down the toilet than knowing I allowed these borefest "films" into my DVD collection.
Last edited by FlawedCoil82 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I enjoy owning physical copies of the kaiju films. I could see this just being a $30 3 disc bare bones release if it ever gets a release
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.