The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Detective Pikachu

I last watched the Ryan Reynolds movie Detective Pikachu. I haven't been a Pokémon fan so I was watching this as a general audience member. I quite enjoyed it. So if you're wondering what the general audience might think of the movie, there's my small input.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just watched the new Ted Bundy movie on Netflix, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile a couple weeks ago, it's kinda a mixed bag. Zac Efron did a great job as usual, but it was kinda a waste of material. It barely touches on the crimes in question, only him getting caught AFTER the fact, and even then, they tried to portray him as being falsely accused until the very end. I get that they were trying to show the perspective of his girlfriend(s) and how manipulative he was, but it just seems counterproductive to make a movie about one of, if not THE most prolific serial killer of all time and not even show the murders while pushing the narrative that he may be innocent. That's like making a Jet Li movie where he doesn't beat people up, or a Martin Luther King movie that doesn't show his push towards desegregation while hinting that he was racist towards white people.

Hell, I didn't even know it WAS a Ted Bundy movie until they mentioned his name. The whole time, I thought it was an original movie about some random dude escaping police custody after being tied to several murders.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Re-watched The Uninvited (1944) last night.

Obviously it's one of the all-time greatest ghost movies. I don't think my saying that will come as a surprise to anyone. This was only my third time watching it, though, I'm ashamed to say. The first time was in a class I took called Race, Sexuality and the Horror Film back in 1996. The second time was on TV sometime around 2005. I only just (finally) got around to buying the Criterion blu-ray, and wanted to show it to my wife, who loves ghost movies but had somehow never seen it.

First off, I was flipping through the liner notes, and was very pleased to catch a reference in there to Rhona J. Berenstein, the film critic who taught the class in which I first saw the movie!

Anyway, it holds up incredibly well (again, I'm sure that surprises nobody; it's a recognized masterpiece). The atmosphere is so rich, the characters engaging, and I love the twists and turns of the story. Early on, Jenn had a theory about the haunting being revealed as a trick played by a certain character, and I bit my tongue to keep from spoiling anything, but this is after all the first major ghost movie in which, no, it's not a trick, there absolutely is a haunting happening.

The last time I watched it, I remember being thrown some by the humor. This time, though, that wasn't a problem (barring one case where a great scare scene is undercut by the humor coming in a little too quickly).

I dunno, there's not a lot to say that wouldn't be spoiling it if any of you haven't seen this absolute classic. I will say, though, much to my amazement, that I think on this viewing it may have displaced The Haunting (1963) as my all-time favorite ghost movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

John Wick Chapter 3

Hi guys saw John Wick 3

Best movies about Man and Dog ever and great action. Best fight scenes since the classic Bruce Lee movies and a nice nod to the correlation between Ballet and Martial Arts cinema.

Also the best use of The Raid actors since The Raid.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

10 out of 10.

BEST MOVIE OF THIS YEAR! EVERYTHING I HAD EXPECTED IN THIS FILM! FIVE YEARS IN THE MAKING THAT WAS MUCH WORTH THE WAIT!

NOTHING MORE CAN BE SAID!!!! :D

GODZILLA (2014) IS THE GODZILLA TO ALIEN (1979) AS THIS FILM IS THE GODZILLA TO ALIENS (1986)!!!!

*Calms down*

Although I will honestly admit that the human element and story was much stronger in G14 (Except for Serizawa where I thought he was better here) whereas this one was much weaker but what made up for it was all its giant monster action. That said though I would really only recommend this movie to hardcore Godzilla fans or giant monster fans alone for the giant monster action but storywise otherwise the plot is pretty weak and won't get much out of it tbh from the human characters.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Godzilla King of The Monsters (2019): 8/10 (At least it's not embarrassed to be a monster movie like Godzilla 2014 was, at least in my opinion)
Batman Begins: 7.50/10 (The only Batman film in the Dark Knight Trilogy that resembles more of a comic book inspired film than Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises)

John Wick Chapter 3: 8/10
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Got the free trial for TOKU TV and started watching Neo Ultra Q this morning. Im just starting episode 3 and its surprisingly good. Even though its a Japanese production its almost got a modern British Dr. Who/Torchwood vibe to it. Its surprisingly mature and dramatic compared to a lot of Tsuburaya's output. The second episode is my favorite so far. Its a really cute story and I'm not afraid to admit it actually choked me up a bit. Wish I could fined Ultra Q: Dark Fantasy (though it might actually be on Youtube).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

I watched Monster Island on the Scyfy and thoroughly hated it, but the acting was decent for an Asylum film.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

A couple of films that I saw over the past few weeks:

Supercop:

Absolutly amazing. Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh were awesome. And the version I watched was the edited American version!

10/10

Hot Fuzz:

Hilarious. Definitly worth a watch.

10/10

Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight:

Good. The special effects and Billy Zane's performance were great.

7/10

Wes Craven Presents: Dracula 2000:

Decent film with a surprising twist to Dracula's origins.

7/10
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

The Rage: Carrie 2:

Surprisingly decent for a cash-in sequel. Emily Bergl's performence was great.

6/10
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:A couple of films that I saw over the past few weeks:

Wes Craven Presents: Dracula 2000:

Decent film with a surprising twist to Dracula's origins.

7/10
It's a bad movie, but oh man, is it a masterpiece compared to Dracula 3000.

It's Uwe Boll levels of bad. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Tales From The Hood:

Entertaining horror anathology. The last story was the best.

8/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Watching the pilot episode of Euphoria, pretty good so far. 

Zendeya from the MCU Spidey series is in it, that's another plus. 

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Rewatched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night. Man, I absolutely adore that film; it's a delight from start to finish. No superhero film has ever had as much of an emotional impact on me as this one has.

I also recently watched Colossal for the first time (and second time, a couple weeks later). What an inventive, fun, and emotional kaiju film this is. The kaiju renaissance has brought us some real gems and this is one of them. Colossal seems to have gotten lost among the recent Godzilla films and all the new, big budget kaiju films of the past six years, but in my opinion, it can tangle with the best of them. If you haven't seen it, it is absolutely worth the watch.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Tales From The Crypt: Bordello Of Blood:

Mediocre film with great special effects and a slam-bang finale.

6/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Tim25N
Young Farmer

Post by Tim25N »

True Detective Season 3

TopEssayServices
Young Farmer

Post by TopEssayServices »

Godzilla 2019!!!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Unbreakable:

Great film. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson were great.

8/10
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I FINALLY got around to watching the R-rated Director's Cut of DareDevil yesterday after hearing about how it's a lot better than the shitacular film we got in theaters and I'm here to tell you, they were right! Not only is it darker and grittier, much like the character/franchise, but the story flows better and makes more sense with these new scenes added. The difference is night and day. Scenes even transition better in the Director's Cut.

So we can add this one to the long list of movies ruined by studios watering down films intended to/should be R. The director himself (Mark Steven Johnson) even said Fox meddled to get a PG-13 rating (to its detriment) and this was the version we were supposed to get from the start. They even cut out an important subplot simply to avoid an R rating.

It still can't beat the Netflix version, though.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Finished watching the first season of Unikitty last night with my little cousins. Overall, it was a lot of fun. A tiny bit of the humor wasn't good and there was a few moments that were a bit too cutesy for me, but with some likable characters, colorful animation, nice music, and humor that has fun mocking other films, I surprisingly enjoyed this show to death.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III