Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Official News topic

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Donnie Dumb Dumb strikes again: will raise taxes 25% on game consoles with new tariffs.

These "taxation is theft!!!111!" GOPers have no leg to walk on now, LOL. :lol: Enjoy paying $600 for PS5/Xbox Scarlett.
Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics the GamerGate community will pull trying to defend him over this.
Hey I'm all for it. They more the video game industry is hurting, the better.
why? what's wrong with the gaming industry?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics the GamerGate community will pull trying to defend him over this.
There is so much wrong with the industry that I'm honestly not sure how I could summarize it or where to even begin. I'll give a more in depth answer later tonight when I have the time, but for now let me just say that the video game industry, due in part to the quickly changing technology that has made it difficult for laws to keep up, has become an unregulated, seedy, and predatory mess.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics the GamerGate community will pull trying to defend him over this.
What is wrong is greedy publishers taking advantage of the law being years behind the advancement of technology. Primarily when it comes to monetization in video games and the treatment of developers and employees while doing so. Thanks to Overwatch's popularity, AAA publishers have realized that microtransactions and loot boxes in video games are a very lucrative business model that rakes in a lot of money, so you have 60 dollar titles with free to play economies strapped on for more money. However, thanks to EA pissing off the star wars fandom, the backlash against lootboxes is so huge, a lot of publishers are backing off of them and dialing it down to "just" microtransactions that aren't pay to win. There' salso carving up already finished games as parts or DLC, and a million different pre-orders to confuse customers and gate off parts of the game.

But even worse than that is the working conditions that have taken over the western gaming industry. Publishers are more than happy to force game developers to spend hundred hour work weeks on crunch time to get a product out in less than a year constantly (Take two games and Activision especially are well known for this), and employees in Quality Assessment and Quality control are often only paid 13 dollars an our and in constant fear of being fired. This is why so many games are in such bad quality upon release. Being in game development right now is a nightmare that most people cannot speak out on, because then you get blasklisted from ever working in the industry ever again, and you're left unemployed in a sea of tens of thousands of other unemployed people struggling to get a job and support yourself and your family.

TLDR: It's not a pretty world for video games right now.And a lot of it is to make those investors really happy; When Nintendo announced they were delaying Animal Crossing to early next year for quality control instead of cracking the whip on crunch time, investors got upset and angry, and Nintendo's stock dropped a bit as a result.
Last edited by Demon Lord Gira on Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Giratina93 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
What is wrong is greedy publishers taking advantage of the law being years behind the advancement of technology. Primarily when it comes to monetization in video games and the treatment of developers and employees while doing so. Thanks to Overwatch's popularity, AAA publishers have realized that microtransactions and loot boxes in video games are a very lucrative business model that rakes in a lot of money, so you have 60 dollar titles with free to play economies strapped on for more money. However, thanks to EA pissing off the star wars fandom, the backlash against lootboxes is so huge, a lot of publishers are backing off of them and dialing it down to "just" microtransactions that aren't pay to win. There' salso carving up already finished games as parts or DLC, and a million different pre-orders to confuse customers and gate off parts of the game.

But even worse than that is the working conditions that have taken over the western gaming industry. Publishers are more than happy to force game developers to spend hundred hour work weeks on crunch time to get a product out in less than a year constantly (Take two games and Activision especially are well known for this), and employees in Quality Assessment and Quality control are often only paid 13 dollars an our and in constant fear of being fired. This is why so many games are in such bad quality upon release. Being in game development right now is a nightmare that most people cannot speak out on, because then you get blasklisted from ever working in the industry ever again, and you're left unemployed in a sea of tens of thousands of other unemployed people struggling to get a job and support yourself and your family.

TLDR: It's not a pretty world for video games right now.And a lot of it is to make those investors really happy; When Nintendo announced they were delaying Animal Crossing to early next year for quality control instead of cracking the whip on crunch time, investors got upset and angry, and Nintendo's stock dropped a bit as a result.
wow.. Never realized it sucked so hard for gaming developers before. I could never bear being forced to work in such a cramped time space :(

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Giratina93 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

What you said sounds a lot like the problems with retail via greedy higher ups and the workers doing 8 things at once without getting much help.

In any case, it sounds like the video game industry it at the beginning of the end. I wouldn't be surprised if they just died out in some form 10-15 years from now. You know what the old saying goes. Pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well... unless something comes along to replace them, there's still going to be (likely massive) demand for video games 10-15 years out. The companies that make idiotic decisions will probably fail, yeah, but smart ones that don't treat their customers and employees like dirt should stick around for decades to come.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Giratina93 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

But Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft don't employ shady working/monetization practices like the Western publishers and Konami do. The only ones who WILL suffer for it are the console manufacturers. The EAs, Activi$ions, Ubisofts, Take Twos, etc. of the world won't be hurt one bit by it, and those companies DESERVE to suffer.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

MAD magazine will being publicated this year.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/04/mad ... 9gz69qBkSI

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

KManX89 wrote: But Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft don't employ shady working/monetization practices like the Western publishers and Konami do. The only ones who WILL suffer for it are the console manufacturers. The EAs, Activi$ions, Ubisofts, Take Twos, etc. of the world won't be hurt one bit by it, and those companies DESERVE to suffer.
This is correct. Potentially making consumers pay more for hardware will not curb predatory practices from publishers in any way.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Smuggers wrote:
KManX89 wrote: But Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft don't employ shady working/monetization practices like the Western publishers and Konami do. The only ones who WILL suffer for it are the console manufacturers. The EAs, Activi$ions, Ubisofts, Take Twos, etc. of the world won't be hurt one bit by it, and those companies DESERVE to suffer.
This is correct. Potentially making consumers pay more for hardware will not curb predatory practices from publishers in any way.
But that's all fine and dandy, donch'ya know? The big 3 should have their business stymied.

Because EA, Activision, Konami, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc. are dicks.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I can't believe they tried to defend lootboxes by calling them as mind-numbingly stupid as "Surprise mechanics". Fuck off, EA.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

US Labour Secretary Alex Acosta resigns over poor handling of Jeffrey Epstein child sex trafficking case.

Huh, I guess Alex Jones was right. PizzaGate does exist...it just happens to be in the White House.
Last edited by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So an fire went on at Kyoto Animation studio as a result of arson.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190718_25/

My condolences goes out to the families deceased and prayers out to the injured they make a full recovery. Hope to also see the arsonist receive the punishment he deserves.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So an fire went on at Kyoto Animation studio as a result of arson.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190718_25/
Recently there`s been a string of weird and bizarre murder suicides in Japan.

A few weeks ago, a man stabbed a young school girl in Kawasaki.
A few weeks later, a father killed his daughter and then drowned himself, the body of the daughter was found in the fridge.
There was also a young man who stole a police mans gun, I forget if anyone was killed/injured.

This is unfortunately just part of a new trend of random freakos doing this type of shit. A lot of this stuff is also big and major conversation because it really is unusual for any violence or anything like this to occur. The japanese media rarely really explores motives or why things like these happen, so It`s curious.

Added in 5 hours 51 minutes 58 seconds:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190718_51/

Holy shit the death count is 25+, easily the biggest Japanese disaster in a few years. Crazy shit.

I wonder if anyone will bring it up tomorrow at school.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Death toll currently at 33, this is bigger than Aum Shinrikyo ‘95

The attacker allegedly claimed that KyoAni “ripped him off” and “copied his work”

Added in 1 day 5 hours 12 minutes 42 seconds:
Iran seizes 1, possibly 2, British tankers in Persian Gulf
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Not sure why this threads been so void of life lately but within a span of 15 hours, we’ve had two mass shootings, one in El Paso, and the other in Ohio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOjjnV1VuT0
Last edited by Stump Feet on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Trump calls for curbing of violent videogames, blaming them for El Paso shootings, not eased access to assault weapons.

Ooooooooooooooof course Donnie Dumb Dumb and the GOP blames videogames for the violence and not guns, lol.

Which BTW, I played Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and GTA3 when I was in 7th grade and below, I turned out okay.
Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

KManX89 wrote:Trump calls for curbing of violent videogames, blaming them for El Paso shootings, not eased access to assault weapons.

Ooooooooooooooof course Donnie Dumb Dumb and the GOP blames videogames for the violence and not guns, lol.

Which BTW, I played Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat and GTA3 when I was in 7th grade and below, I turned out okay.
Did you see the video compilation of "video game violence" the White House posted on their YouTube channel? It was hilarious, like the late 90's all over again.

Even funnier is that the video featured lots of footage from Wolfenstein and Sniper Elite 4. I wonder why Trump seems so disgusted by Nazis being shot...
He/him/his