Should Toho buy anyone out?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LegendZilla
Sazer

Should Toho buy anyone out?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey ladies and gentlemen, LZ here with another thread suggestion about something a bit different this time. Rather than talking about certain movies that came from Toho over the decades, I would like to discuss the business side of the company.
It's been common recently for major companies to have mergers and acquisitions. Toho hasn't done much in the way of buying out other media companies, AFAIK. Anyone know anything more? What companies do you think might make good ones for Toho to buy? Which ones could have synergy with the venerable studio?

I am not sure if all of of you would be interested in talking about business-related stuff on these forums, but I just thought I'd give it a shot.
I think if they want to take making Video games seriously, they could perhaps buy out Konami, based on how Warner Bros bought Midway back in 2009. Toho and Konami even some history together, collaborating to bring us the Chouseishin franchise (Gransazers) in the early-mid 2000's. As for animation, I am guessing they will buy out Studio Pierrot based on their exceptionally long history practically since the animation studio's conception.
Anyone else have suggestions?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should Toho buy anyone out?

Post by eabaker »

Toho is a relatively small business - focused pretty much entirely on film production and distribution - compared to the major corporations which are engaging in these buy-outs. For instance, while we think of Warner Bros as a production/distribution entity, that part of the company is just one division of WarnerMedia, which in turn is owned by AT&T. I can't imagine that Toho has the kind of capital required to buy out a company like Konami.

In fact, a quick Google search suggests that Konami is worth a lot more than Toho. If anything, I might expect a buy-out to go the other direction.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kadokawa, cause we need Gamera's comeback darnit!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Be great if they could buy Kadowaka.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

If in a hypothetical situation where Toho had the money to buy-out another company, and if they where interested in reaping the boons that would result, I'd say Kadokawa. A Godzilla vs Gamera movie, if handeled right, could rake in money beyond their wildest dreams on top of reviving Gamera for spinoffs.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm pretty sure Kadokawa is a much bigger corporation than Toho.

There are very few members here, maybe none, that can answer this question with any kind of legitimacy. The real question should be "What companies would you like to see Toho buy out if it were possible?"
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Toho should buy me out. Please, Toho, I want money.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Dr. Professor wrote:Toho should buy me out. Please, Toho, I want money.
"Godzilla vs Dr. Professor! the film that's happening cause one guy wanted to get bought out and we didn't know what to do with him. coming this October!"

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Toho should buy me out. Please, Toho, I want money.
"Godzilla vs Dr. Professor! the film that's happening cause one guy wanted to get bought out and we didn't know what to do with him. coming this October!"
Man, that film would fucking suck but it would be the best thing to ever happen to me.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote:In fact, a quick Google search suggests that Konami is worth a lot more than Toho. If anything, I might expect a buy-out to go the other direction.
If Toho did buy them out, it would be like a goldfish swallowing a shark. It has happened in the past, but not literally.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

What’s stopping Toho from buying Disney?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Chaiyo WILL buy Toho. Try and stop them.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Terasawa wrote:What’s stopping Toho from buying Disney?
I really hope that was sarcasm...

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

We should monopolize the entire Japanese film industry so I can get me Godzilla Vs Gamera film.

Whatever happened to simple company joint projects?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:We should monopolize the entire Japanese film industry so I can get me Godzilla Vs Gamera film.

Whatever happened to simple company joint projects?
I think this is saracasm. But yeah, the idea that people want massive monopolies just so they can get specific crossovers is horrible and stagnates creativity.

Admittedly, Toho already pretty much monopolizes the Japanese film industry anyways/
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

We should be happy Toho remains in business let alone attempt any failed corporate buyouts. They make more money distributing and producing shit for Fuji television than making movies at this point. Also, why would you want an incompetent company like Toho own IPs that they will inevitable screw up or do nothing with.
Last edited by Malchik on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Malchik wrote:We should be happy Toho remains in business let alone attempt any failed corporate buyouts. They make more money distributing and producing poop for Fuji television than making movies at this point. Also, why would you want an incompetent company like Toho own IPs that they will inevitable screw up or do nothing with.
I mean there’s more to them, such as the movie theater chain, but yeah.

I sometimes can’t help but think that really the Godzilla series, and franchise in general, is more of a passion project that will perpetually continue. While yeah, there’s major hits like Shin, there’s been enough critical and commercial flops that have kept the series going. I’m convinced that Toho, given the passing of time, will always continue to make new Godzilla products.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote:I'm pretty sure Kadokawa is a much bigger corporation than Toho.

There are very few members here, maybe none, that can answer this question with any kind of legitimacy. The real question should be "What companies would you like to see Toho buy out if it were possible?"
That makes me wonder who could Kadokawa could buy out. But let’s not get off-topic for now.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.