Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Monster X wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:
Monster X wrote:We got any gundam fans here? There's something Id like to ask.
Reporting in.
Maverick Centigrade wrote:
Monster X wrote:We got any gundam fans here? There's something Id like to ask.
Reporting for duty as well.

Hello, so what I wanted to ask was this.

I'm thinking of getting into Gundam. It's a franchise I've avoided, despite my love of Mecha, because it just seems so daunting. It's seems pretty big and complex but I want to give it a shot as I feel I'm really missing out.

So how would you suggest I begin. I was thinking right with the Original Mobile Suit Gundam?
The thing with Gundam is, you don't necessarily have to start with the original series. You can if you wanna go back to the beginning, but otherwise, you can start elsewhere.

See there are several different universes within the Gundam franchise.

The largest and most well known is the Universal Century, which the first series and subsequent sequels are part of.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Double Zeta
Gundam Unicorn
Char's Counter Attack

And many others, are part of the same continuity. Zeta Gundam is a sequel to the first series, and so on.

But there are other spinoff series that have their own continuity. For example:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz are completely separate and unrelated to the Universal Century, but are part of the same continuity, that series takes place in the After Colony Era.

And there's many other spinoffs across the years.

Personally, I recommend starting with Mobile Suit Gundam 00, it's a series close to my heart. It has a bit of a slow start for world building, but the action and story are quite good. In my opinion no Gundam series past or present matches the sheer intensity of Gundam 00. When mobile suits are fighting in that series, it keeps you engaged. Same goes for the Mobile Suit Gundam 00 movie as well, the greatest battles in the series.

Or you could try Mobile Suit Gundam Seed and Seed Destiny. They're not my favorite, but not bad overall, your mileage may vary on that one. I liked it more than I thought I would in the past.

I could go in but I figure I can stop here and let it sink in. Gundam is a huge franchise. But honestly it's a series where you can skip the original and still enjoy it.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Yeah, Gundam 00 is probably a good one to start with if you don't want to start with the original MSG. G Gundam is fantastic, but be aware that it's very different from the typical Gundam fare. I'm personally very fond of Gundam Wing, and Gundam X is pretty good too. I know Giratina93 had never watched a Gundam series and enjoyed the hell out of Gundam Build Fighters, so there's that too.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Thanks for the advice :)

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Inferno Rodan wrote:Yeah, Gundam 00 is probably a good one to start with if you don't want to start with the original MSG. G Gundam is fantastic, but be aware that it's very different from the typical Gundam fare. I'm personally very fond of Gundam Wing, and Gundam X is pretty good too. I know Giratina93 had never watched a Gundam series and enjoyed the hell out of Gundam Build Fighters, so there's that too.

Here to verify. Build Fighters was a fun enjoyable story, even if I knew absolutely nothing about Gundam prior to that, so most of the references went straight over my head.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Giratina93 wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:Yeah, Gundam 00 is probably a good one to start with if you don't want to start with the original MSG. G Gundam is fantastic, but be aware that it's very different from the typical Gundam fare. I'm personally very fond of Gundam Wing, and Gundam X is pretty good too. I know Giratina93 had never watched a Gundam series and enjoyed the hell out of Gundam Build Fighters, so there's that too.

Here to verify. Build Fighters was a fun enjoyable story, even if I knew absolutely nothing about Gundam prior to that, so most of the references went straight over my head.
Ah yes, but if you did have the knowledge to understand those references, hoo boy the show gets better and better.

I fucking miss Build Fighters so much.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

So I was browsing Netflix today, and to my complete surprise I found the original Cardcaptor Sakura in there! :shock:

I am so glad that I finally get a chance to watch it. :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

G-Matt wrote:So I was browsing Netflix today, and to my complete surprise I found the original Cardcaptor Sakura in there! :shock:

I am so glad that I finally get a chance to watch it. :D
Yay! Man, saw that show for the first time about 5/6 years ago, and was so surprised how much I loved it. A very enjoyable series!
Reminds me I need to finish watching the new series...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Anonziller
Samurai

Post by Anonziller »

Monster X wrote:Thanks for the advice :)
Don't listen to these plebeians! Watch Turn A!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Harmony Gold just renewed the licence to Macross.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Anyone here watched Armored Trooper VOTOMs?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I know there are at least a few other Kyoto Animation fans here....

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ng/.149097

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... re/.149101

https://www.apnews.com/b10907eaf3794588 ... _medium=AP

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/ ... ns-injured

There was an arson attack on Kyoto Animation's 1st studio building yesterday. Numerous injuries and deaths have been reported (although one independent source reports that director Naoko Yamada is safe).
Sentai Filmworks has started a GoFundMe campaign for support, although some have debated if KyoAni will actually be able to use it:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

The anime industry had just been dealt an evil, bitter blow. :cry: :cry: :cry:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^This news hit me really hard. I've grown to appreciate KyoAni so much over the last few years. They've made such high quality work, they really didn't deserve to go through something like this. :cry:
Last edited by G-Matt on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Although I've never been a big Kyo Ani fan, I watched A Silent Voice a couple weeks ago and it moved me. Seeing something so awful happen to a renowned studio, to see artists and employees suffer like this, is appaling; not to mention how much of their hard work may have been lost in the blaze. I pray for the victims and the families of those who were sadly lost.
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This really is horrible. You expect this kind of thing to happen to, say, embassies, or police stations, or things like that, but... who the hell sets an animation studio on fire? It's insanity, pure and simple.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Was just coming to post the link.

I'm not an anime fan, but this whole thing is awful, and my heart goes out to the deceased, the injured, and their loved ones.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Wow... prayers for the people who have died in this and i hope that whoever caused this crap gets life in prison.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

JAGzilla wrote:This really is horrible. You expect this kind of thing to happen to, say, embassies, or police stations, or things like that, but... who the hell sets an animation studio on fire? It's insanity, pure and simple.
From the blog post that informed me about this, I've heard the company has gotten a lot of protest and death threats (including one from the alleged artist) for stuff like voice actress Aya Hirano from the Haruhi Suzumiya series being anti idol .

RIP Evan.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

It's tragic enough that the building was damaged and numerous people were killed; and it's awful enough that it was a deliberate act of arson...
But it seems especially cruel to target an animation studio - which are known to struggle with business already - and EVEN CRUELER that the studio in question ended up being one of the best examples of the entire industry.
I've seen at least one person elsewhere describing this as anime's own 9/11, and that's probably not an overstatement. This is devastating in a way we'll all probably feel for a long time.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

There's no true telling what a loss this is just from a creative standpoint as a fan, of all the ideas or characters or entire series we've lost now that could have been. But more than just an anime fan, this is simply cruel because people died. And so cruelly, I can't even imagine the pain of being burned alive, or to choke to death from the smoke inhalation. It's denying the families of the victims even the mere hope that it was either quick or painless. Arson like this has to be one of the vilest crimes ever devised by mankind. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I pray the one responsible pays for it for the rest of his life.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'm a little obsessed over Shield Hero, currently going through the light novels and loving it but I honestly like the MC in the manga the most when compared to the anime. Maybe that'll change once I catch up with the novels though
your source of self destruction