MonsterVerse: Fan Theories & Head Canons

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: MonsterVerse: Fan Theories & Head Canons

Post by Pkmatrix »

I rewatched Rampage this afternoon. Still a ton of fun!

This time, I kept a lookout for anything that would scuttle my headcanon that Rampage takes place in the MonsterVerse. For the most part, I think my headcanon survives! \^o^/

Some new thoughts:

- At the time a lot of us took Agent Russell’s (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) “other government agency” to be Monarch. While in my headcanon that’s still what’s being implied, it actually comes across as somewhat odd after seeing KOTM and knowing that post-2014 Monarch had gone public. It leaves one to wonder why Russell is being coy about it when, by 2018, everyone knows what Monarch is.

- New addition to the headcanon: Dr. Stanton’s lines talking about companies wanting Titan DNA and how it could be weaponized is a direct reference to the events of Rampage, where exactly that happened. I’m also going to headcanon that among the genes included in the Project Rampage genetic cocktails are Godzilla and MUTO DNA which Energyne illegally obtained post-2014 - it’s what allows for George, Ralph, and Lizzie to heal so quickly.

- Another new addition: Ralph’s pack was one of the wolf packs Mark Russell was studying after he moved to Colorado. Among his photos are photos of Ralph pre-mutation.

- How did the government figure out what Energyne was up to, or that they should send DHS Agents by helicopter when the San Diego Zoo called the police to report George had escaped? Because the canister that mutated Ralph and the battle with Energyne’s mercenaries all happened a few miles from Monarch’s Wyoming outpost. Maybe Ralph even attacked the outpost too (that sounds like a neat little horror fanfic waiting to happen…)

- I noticed when Lizzie is first sighted on sonar approaching Chicago, the reaction from everyone - Russell, the Colonel, Okoye, Dr. Caldwell - isn’t confusion (none of the characters knew, until this point, that there was a third monster - they SHOULD have been confused), but deep concern. Headcanon: they all were thinking, “Oh God, not Godzilla too.”

- Like before, I’m still taking Russell’s and the Colonel’s talk of “contingencies” and “we’ve got this covered” as veiled references to G14 - Monarch and the military has been planning for something like this and thinks they’re prepared to deal with it. (Naturally, they are not.)

- Harvey Russell and Mark Russell are cousins, Harvey’s grandpappy is also Mark’s grandfather (and, by extension, Madison’s great-grandfather). Mark’s father George was born in Texas, but moved to Ohio when he was young which is where Mark was raised. Harvey’s side of the family, meanwhile, stayed in Texas and the two ended up, via different paths, both managed to end up in Monarch.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Pkmatrix wrote:snip
Heeey I didn't know you were a member on AlternateHistory Forums. :D
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:snip
Heeey I didn't know you were a member on AlternateHistory Forums. :D
He has the same username there as he does here how did you miss that
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

G2000 wrote:He has the same username there as he does here how did you miss that
Dunno. Guess I never paid attention.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

There's a race of aliens somewhat similar to the Exif in the Monsterverse. They don't control Ghidorah, but they depend on members of his species to xenoform planets for them, after which they move in and feed on the scraps of the space monsters' newest conquest, sometimes leading them to new targets. It is a symbiotic relationship, a sinister version of what humanity seeks to establish with Godzilla and Mothra. During the events of KotM these scavengers were preparing to colonize Earth after detecting that King Ghidorah had awakened, and weren't happy about having their plans cut short. At some point in the future they will attempt to initiate a new kaiju apocalypse to soften the Earth for xenforming, either by manipulating Earth kaiju or finding a way to resurrect King Ghidorah. Jonah's organization might collaborate with them.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

- Rodan isn't fully grown, he's a juvenile, a fledgling who's parents died early on his life. Adults of his species are the same height as Godzilla and not quite as aggressive. Rodan's aggression can be partially attributed to a lack of social skills from little interaction with others of his kind due to having to fend for himself most of his life. Him being a juvenile is also why he's not considered an Alpha Titan.

- Rodan's species share a fairly common ancestry with Godzilla's, meaning his similarities with pterosaurs are simply convergent evolution.

- Most individuals in King Ghidorah's species have only one head, Ghidorah himself was the result of three twins being conjoined while still embryos. He's also the oldest known Titan by far, much older than Godzilla.

- Not only is King Ghidorah older than Godzilla, he predates all forms of life on Earth, and even the Earth itself. He was ancient when the Solar System was still a cloud of dust and gas, and he might not have even originated in the Milky Way galaxy. His homeworld probably doesn't exist anymore. Whether or not he's directly responsible for that is currently unknown. It's also possible he's not even naturally evolved, he could've been modified from another member of his species and turned into a super weapon meant for war by his home planet's indigenous sapient race.

- Titans, as evidenced by King Ghidorah, are not an Earth-exclusive phenomena. Most life-bearing planets in the galaxy, and possibly the universe, have their own Titans.

- Godzilla's species doesn't stop growing and Godzilla could, in theory, eventually become as large as or even larger than Godzilla Earth, given enough time.

- Titans are immortal and don't die from old age.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 am, edited 7 times in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Gerdzerl wrote:- Rodan isn't fully grown, he's a juvenile, a fledgling who's parents died early on his life. Adults of his species are the same height as Godzilla and not quite as aggressive. Rodan's aggression can be partially attributed to a lack of social skills from little interaction with others of his kind due to having to fend for himself most of his life. Him being a juvenile is also why he's not considered an Alpha Titan.
Whoa now that's a great theory for explaining his small size, behavior and weakness in the movie! I'd love to see Rodan growing up to be around Godzilla's size and more on the level of his Showa incarnation!
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

KaijuShill17
Monsterland Worker

Post by KaijuShill17 »

I don't know if this could really be considered a "head canon," as it's really more of an observation than anything else, but I think Scylla is a Cephalopod Titan, not an Arachnid Titan as is commonly believed. Yes, she does have arthropod-like legs, that is undeniable, but she also has a shell and an ammonite-like head with lots of tentacles. Also, she really can't be an arachnid, scientifically speaking. I know applying real world science to Godzilla movies is pretty stupid, but regardless, anatomically Scylla cannot be an arachnid. Some could argue that she appears to have a double-segmented body like a spider (that would be the head and the abdomen, though her body looks more like a shell than an abdomen to me), but she has six legs, as opposed to eight. So yeah, I think she's some sort of Alpha Ammonite that just happens to have legs for some reason.

I have another little head canon that connects to the previous one, but it's a little more out-there.

We know that Scylla was resting beneath a desert in Arizona. There was also a pretty large oil drilling field right above her. Assuming my previous head canon is true, Scylla is a giant ammonite. Ammonites were cephalopods, and cephalopods are capable of producing black ink. My theory is that the workers at the drilling station weren't actually harvesting oil, rather, they were harvesting Scylla's ink as an alternative to oil. I doubt Monarch would let some random oil company drill directly above a resting monster (especially with the threat of awakening her), so I think the outpost was actually a carefully monitored Monarch-owned drilling station that was harvesting Scylla's ink as a (possibly more efficient) substitue for oil.
Last edited by KaijuShill17 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"God, G16 looks like he just walked in on his wife cheating on him with another man, and the zip tie is the only thing holding him back from killing the both of them."

-ArchdukeSquidlyIII

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

KaijuShill17 wrote: We know that Scylla was resting beneath a desert in Arizona. There was also a pretty large oil drilling field right above her. Assuming my previous head canon is true, Scylla is a giant ammonite. Ammonites were cephalopods, and cephalopods are capable of producing black ink. My theory is that the workers at the drilling station weren't actually harvesting oil, rather, they were harvesting Scylla's ink as an alternative to oil. I doubt Monarch would let some random oil company drill directly above a resting monster (especially with the threat of awakening her), so I think the outpost was actually a carefully monitored Monarch-owned drilling station that was harvesting Scylla's ink as a (possibly more efficient) substitue for oil.
That sounds cool, and is pretty consistent with the credits montage depicting the kaiju as a wellspring of natural resources.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Titanis Leviathan is Manda
Titanis Bathomet is Titanosaurus
The Alteori Theory- Most of the titans are descendants of an alien race I think its the Millenians or a creation of their like the Gryphon. Explaining how they can talk with each other. & know to bow. Xept not Kong, the Skullcrawlers or most all of Skull island.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

A few:

- Earth is not the first world Ghidorah has attacked. Ghidorah is old, impossibly old, and countless worlds have fallen to his wrath. For example, life once flourished on Mars, with a few races even establishing early civilizations, but Ghidorah burned it all to the ground and left nary a trace for future

- I guess this is sort of canon anyways, but Earth's Titans evolved in different time periods. The oldest of the Titan species, including those like Godzilla, Rodan, and Methesulah, first arose during the late Hadean and early Archean eons; others evolved later, with mammalian species like Kong and Behemoth not popping up until sometime around the Pliocene epoch.

- Ghidorah's first attack on Earth occured 252 million years ago and was absolutely catastrophic, resulting in the Permian-Triassic Extinction - a "Great Dying" in which 90% of all life on Earth was wiped out. He would have succeeded in killing them all were it not for the efforts of Godzilla and a select few other Titans who banded together and were able to defeat Ghidorah, wounding him so severely that he was forced to retreat back into the depths of space. Prior to KoTM I actually hadn't cared too much for this theory as I really couldn't see how Ghidorah alone could plausibly cause that much life (that number includes insects, microscopic organisms, etc.) to all die off without some sort of magic lifeforce-draining abilities like in the Return of Mothra or attributing most of it to a meteor he was trapped in, but after KoTM I realized a theory like this might make sense.

In KoTM, he was shown to be able to control the majority of Earth's Titans and use their abilities in an attempt to terraform the Earth to his own liking. It's mentioned that the Titans are causing "earthquakes, tsunamis, and disasters we don't even have names for yet;" the book goes even further, speaking of volcanic eruptions, "gigatons of smoke, ash, and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere" (inaccurate measurement but that's besides the point), "wildfires the size of small continents," "oceans turning red," massive die-offs of wildlife, and entire ecosystems wiped off the face of the Earth - and that was with only 14-15 Titans under his control. Imagine what Ghidorah could have accomplished when Titans were in abundance on Earth?

Some of the proposed causes of the P-T extinction aside from a meteor impact include the mass eruption of volcanoes and/or a sudden release of toxic gases like methane and CO2 into the atmosphere, and the sudden depletion of oxygen in the world's oceans, all of which could be explained in the Monsterverse as being the result of the Titan's natural abilities being perverted for Ghidorah's terraforming purposes.

- Godzilla is now the last surviving member of his species and he knows it. He once had a mate and offspring, but they were slain, alongside much of Godzilla's species, in the Great Dying; as a result, Godzilla holds a deep and intensely personal grudge against Ghidorah.

- Godzilla's species had pronounced sexual dimorphism. The males tended to be larger and more robust, with larger dorsal fins that (aside from general communication and as heat vents for internal radiation) were used for courtship display. Meanwhile, the females were notably smaller and more gracile, with smaller dorsal fins. They tended to mate for life. They were once a highly territorial species, with males often fighting for territory and for mates (Godzilla himself killed two other males over breeding rights and fought several others over territorial disputes). Mated pairs raised offspring together; once the offspring were of a certain age they were chased off to find territory and mates of their own. Very few Godzillasaurs survived to adulthood.

- Mothra's species were once capable of faculative parthenogenesis (that is, both sexual and asexual reproduction), but after the Great Dying utterly devastated the species (with males being hit particuarly hard) they have effectively resorted to obligate parthenogenesis to propagate the species. Predation and disease have further whittled the Mothra population since then, with our Mothra being the only known individual left (though there may be more eggs in deep stasis out there, somewhere)

- I'm not entirely sure how the symbiotic relationship between Mothra's and Godzilla's species once worked, but I have some ideas. For one, they may have nested together, both essentially protecting one another's eggs (the moths acted as a sort of early warning system, while Godzilla's species provided the "muscle" to deal with potential threats). For two, they may have cooperated while hunting, with the moths acting as scouts and helping to harry, harrass, and distract prey while the Godzillasaurs did most of the actual stalking and killing. In return, the moths were allowed to share the kill and eat alongside the Godzillasaurs (the moths are omnivorous; they tend to prefer plants, but will supplement their diet with meat when the need arises. IRL there are some moths with similar dining habits).

- Titan "pack behavior" as depicted in KoTM, with packs comprised of individuals from multiple species submitting to a single alpha, did not arise until after the Great Dying wiped out most of the Titans on Earth. Forced to adapt or die in the face of the catastrophe, the survivors of Ghidorah's rampage formed several uneasy "packs" that sort-of-kind-of collaborated to share resources and raise young. These packs were disunified and uneasy, often erupting into "civil wars" of sorts when disputes broke out. There were also wars between separate packs over resources and territory. All of this helped to contribute to the decline of Earth's Titan population

- After his initial defeat at the hands of Godzilla and the Earth Titans, Ghidorah hung around in the solar system for millions of years, occasionally returning to Earth to make brief raids before Godzilla would chase him back into space. While Ghidorah was not responsible for all the mass extinctions in Earth's history (K-T really was just a big asteroid) , he was responsible for quite a few of them.

- Ghidorah's final raid on Earth prior to the events of KoTM coincides with the ancient events depicted in Aftershock. Rather than simply being a case of MUTOs breeding out of control, the "dark age from Cambodia to Egypt" was the result of yet another attempt by Ghidorah to control the Earths's titans to do his bidding. These events also resulted in the destruction of the ancient civilization that once worshipped Godzilla and built him his "lair." Enraged, Godzilla attacked Ghidorah and was able to wound him more seriously than usual, forcing the beast to flee to Antarctica in an attempt to heal; Godzilla followed Ghidorah and the two engaged in yet another battle, with the Godzilla emerging as the victor. He shoves the severely injured space dragon into a crevice before burying him under an avalanche of ice. Cut off from natural radiation sources, so severely wounded that he can barely move, and buried under hundreds of thousands of tons of ice, Ghidorah slowly heals as the ice freezes around him, trapping him for thousands of years until he is finally set free by Alan Jonah and his merry gang.

I have more but that will do for now
Last edited by G2000 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Olzh26
Interpol Agent

Post by Olzh26 »

Godzilla is a unique representative of its species. it is an anomaly with huge dimensions (usually individuals of this species reach 90 meters in height), strong skin and tremendous physical strength.

-Godzilla and his species are peculiar to slow growth.

- not all titans eat radiation. for example rodan and behemoth

-Hydor as in the trilogy of Mothra, able to control the weaker creatures. but control does not affect smarter creatures (such as humans and Mothra) and alpha creatures (such as Godzilla and Kong)

- Titans who feed on radiation mutated due to geothermal radiation and, as a result, they have an organ that can absorb radiation as food.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ernesth100 wrote:-Kong And Godzilla Have History Prior To GvK.
-Mothra and Ghidorah will be the main focus of G:KotM obviously alongside G himself. Rodan will be a side character.
wow what a prophet

-Methuselah was the alpha before Godzilla.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

G2000 wrote: - Godzilla's species had pronounced sexual dimorphism. The males tended to be larger and more robust, with larger dorsal fins that (aside from general communication and as heat vents for internal radiation) were used for courtship display. Meanwhile, the females were notably smaller and more gracile, with smaller dorsal fins. They tended to mate for life. They were once a highly territorial species, with males often fighting for territory and for mates (Godzilla himself killed two other males over breeding rights and fought several others over territorial disputes). Mated pairs raised offspring together; once the offspring were of a certain age they were chased off to find territory and mates of their own. Very few Godzillasaurs survived to adulthood.
See I would think the females were bigger, if we're comparing Godzilla with dinosaurs and reptiles.

But it makes sense if he's actually more like a whale.
- I'm not entirely sure how the symbiotic relationship between Mothra's and Godzilla's species once worked, but I have some ideas. For one, they may have nested together, both essentially protecting one another's eggs (the moths acted as a sort of early warning system, while Godzilla's species provided the "muscle" to deal with potential threats).
Heisei Godzilla's species appears to have been brood parasites; they depended on other species to guard their eggs, like Rodan. Maybe in the Monsterverse Godzilla and Mothra have a similar relationship to Godzilla Jr and Heisei Rodan.
Resized Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Ivo-goji wrote:See I would think the females were bigger, if we're comparing Godzilla with dinosaurs and reptiles.

But it makes sense if he's actually more like a whale.
I’m not a biologist, but as I understand it there hasn’t really been a conclusive way to sex dinosaurs (or at least Tyrannosaurs). In the example of T. Rex, for a time I know paleontologists believed that females were the more robust individuals but then that fell out of favor and now no one’s really sure if tyrannosaurs even displayed any significant sexual dimorphism.

As for living reptiles, that depends. I know in most snake species the female tends to be larger, but in crocodiles and big monitor lizards like the Komodo dragon the males tend to be larger and more aggressive than the females.
Heisei Godzilla's species appears to have been brood parasites; they depended on other species to guard their eggs, like Rodan. Maybe in the Monsterverse Godzilla and Mothra have a similar relationship to Godzilla Jr and Heisei Rodan.
It’s been a while since I watched GvMGII, but are we sure it wasn’t the other way around? I recall Rodan was a nest-mate of Jr that hatched earlier than Jr rather than a parent, but my memory may be wrong
Last edited by G2000 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

King Kong shares his 1962 counterpart's immunity to electricity, as well as the ability to absorb it to grow more powerful. He can discharge electrical power through his touch to shock his enemies in combat, and this ability only grows stronger the more electricity he absorbs. Kong is at his strongest in a lightning storm due to the high amounts of electrical activity, and he acts like a conduit in that he's able to draw in lightning to power himself up. If Kong were to become overcharged with electrical might, he could unleash the energy in devastating pulses much like Fire Godzilla.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gerdzerl wrote:- Rodan isn't fully grown, he's a juvenile, a fledgling who's parents died early on his life. Adults of his species are the same height as Godzilla and not quite as aggressive. Rodan's aggression can be partially attributed to a lack of social skills from little interaction with others of his kind due to having to fend for himself most of his life. Him being a juvenile is also why he's not considered an Alpha Titan.
That pretty much describes King Kong.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Only a few things (mostly attack related) to add this time:

-Mothra's God Rays aren't just bright lights, they have a good deal of concussive force and potentially cause heat damage too. (I believe she used God Rays to blow away the clouds in KOTM). She can spam them at enemies like her previous incarnations did with Poison Powder or Leo did with his own beams. If she gets the chance to concentrate enough to spam them on a single grounded target, she can usually bring them down with ease if they're less than or equal to Big Skullcrawler level.

-King Ghidorah can manipulate gravity, but he does it in a more subtle way and it's more used to give him a passive advantage in battles instead of actually letting him use gravity slams or something. His Gravity Beams do use this gravity manipulation (hence the name) but it's used in a so far unexplainable way that allows the normal electrical beams to also have powerful concussive force, especially when he's charged up (like after absorbing power from the power lines in Boston).

-Rodan can spit extremely hot saliva like substance (which looks like Lava) in globs or streams. Eventually he might learn to refine this attack to fire the substance in plasma state, basically turning it into a version of the Uranium Heat Beam.

-The MUTOs EMP do have some kind of passive effect on Godzilla that makes his Atomic Breath severely weaker in presence of MUTOs, but since the electric sack theory was jossed, there is a different explanation for this. Perhaps their EMP also deploys a lasting suppression field that drains Godzilla's radiation reserves the longer he stays in it (Could also explain why Godzilla got so exhausted after the fight).
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mothra's God Rays were just beams of light reflecting through her wings, similar to a church window.

Her wings blew away the clouds, and the beams were used to instruct others to a specific location as well as to blind others.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Rodan was the inspiration behind the legends of various mythological avian and bat like beings.

Among those being Camazotz (Mayans worshipped him as due to Rodan's wakes of death and destruction he leaves which Camazotz is the Mayan god of), Phoenix (Greeks due to his volcanic-like body given the Phoenix' association with fire), Roc (People during historical times witnessing Rodan grab elephants with his talons), Thunderbird (Indigenous people of North America mistaking his sonic booms for thunder coming from his wings), etc.

Added in 12 minutes 47 seconds:
Also Christopher Columbus during his last voyage to the New World sighted Godzilla but decided to keep the experience to himself feeling no one would believe him only telling those at his death bed about it.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.