Monsterverse Recast

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Monsterverse Recast

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Well since this is a conversation that as been coming up lately I felt it warranted it's own thread if you can recast anyone in the Monsterverse so far who would you chose.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monsterverse Recast

Post by GuardianGhido »

Uh I'm not that familiar with actors myself, identifying more with the characters. Anyone the GA would (somewhat) rush in to see would be nice for the main characters.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ford - Joseph Gordon Levitt in place of Aaron Taylor Johnson

Which was the original intention before scheduling conflicts prevented it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

As I said in the other thread, I'd recast Mark Russell with Matthew McConaughey instead of Kyle Chandler. Chandler is a good actor and I liked him in the part, but for a big budget blockbuster like this it really needed a bigger name for either male or female lead. McConaughey was even available around the time they cast Chandler, getting cast in Serenity within a couple weeks of Chandler being cast for KOTM.

Although I'm sure it would've been impossible to make work scheduling-wise, I'm intrigued by the suggestion of Scarlett Johanssen as Emma Russell if only because I can easily see how that would've been easier to market to general audiences: "Godzilla teams up with Black Widow to stop Tywin Lannister from destroying the world!" with, of course, the surprise twist being that Emma Russell is actually the villain of the movie.

Going back a few years: while I feel like I'm among the few who actually liked Aaron Taylor-Johnston in G14, I do think the movie would've been better served had Johnston and Elizabeth Olsen swapped roles. Reversing the dynamic between the two by having Olsen as the soldier and Johnston as the nurse trapped in San Francisco with their son would've worked very well. Plus, and I don't mean to knock Johnston, but Bryan Cranston is a tremendous actor and at least part of people's frustration with G14 is that Johnston just isn't nearly as compelling or dynamic in his performance as Cranston is so shifting to Johnston as the lead felt to many like a step down. I think Olsen would've held her own opposite Cranston in the Joe/Ford scenes together a bit more convincingly than Johnston, and audiences wouldn't have been nearly so frustrated.

Added in 5 minutes 59 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Ford - Joseph Gordon Levitt in place of Aaron Taylor Johnson

Which was the original intention before scheduling conflicts prevented it.
Oh! I forgot about that!

Yeah, Joseph Gordon Levitt would've been better in the part, I think. Such a shame they couldn't get him.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Naomi Watts as Emma Russell
While I liked Vera's performance I believe Watts would've done a superior job of conveying Emma's emotions and vulnerability and I loved her in The Ring and King Kong
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Or just to have both Watts and Chandler together again. This time in Godzilla instead of Kong.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983