You against having human vs. human action along with monster action?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

You against having human vs. human action along with monster action?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I don't mean action as like in the end of King of the Monsters we have
Spoiler:
Mothra and Rodan wildly dueling while Mark and Emma Russell and company are driving around wildly looking for Madison
I mean I was watching King of the Monsters and wouldn't have been offended if we had Jonah's base get attacked since I was expecting some punishment in that movie.

Like I wouldn't be upset if we had a good fist fight along side the giant monster battle. I certainly don't mean in terms of Final War scale where it's 90 percent look at the Mutant vs. Alien fight and 10 percent Godzilla and Mothra vs. Monster X and Gigan. I remember reading an 80s rough draft for a Hollywood Godzilla movie was to involve a finale where while Godzilla and a monster were fighting a secret agent was fighting a bad guy/Soviet terrorist in a helicopter until they fall out and grab onto the landing railing. Or something like that. That sounded kinda fun to me.

For some reason I thought of that when I saw a trailer for Hobbes and Shaw and it looks like some point in that movie the title duo fight Elba's character, a super soldier, atop of a vehicle and it looked like fun. Mind you I haven't gotten around to any of the Fast and Furious movies.

Anyway my answer: sure, long as it was well integrated, didn't have far too much focus on the humans over the monsters/lead actor over mugging the true stars of the movie. And of course was good action.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: You against having human vs. human action along with monster action?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

daveblackeye15 wrote:I don't mean action as like in the end of King of the Monsters we have
Spoiler:
Mothra and Rodan wildly dueling while Mark and Emma Russell and company are driving around wildly looking for Madison
I mean I was watching King of the Monsters and wouldn't have been offended if we had Jonah's base get attacked since I was expecting some punishment in that movie.

Like I wouldn't be upset if we had a good fist fight along side the giant monster battle. I certainly don't mean in terms of Final War scale where it's 90 percent look at the Mutant vs. Alien fight and 10 percent Godzilla and Mothra vs. Monster X and Gigan. I remember reading an 80s rough draft for a Hollywood Godzilla movie was to involve a finale where while Godzilla and a monster were fighting a secret agent was fighting a bad guy/Soviet terrorist in a helicopter until they fall out and grab onto the landing railing. Or something like that. That sounded kinda fun to me.

For some reason I thought of that when I saw a trailer for Hobbes and Shaw and it looks like some point in that movie the title duo fight Elba's character, a super soldier, atop of a vehicle and it looked like fun. Mind you I haven't gotten around to any of the Fast and Furious movies.

Anyway my answer: sure, long as it was well integrated, didn't have far too much focus on the humans over the monsters/lead actor over mugging the true stars of the movie. And of course was good action.
As long as it`s not the focus it`s completely fine. A lot of older Godzilla entries actually have this type of stuff.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah that was going to be part of my defense of it. Destroy All Monsters had a few gunfights, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla had secret agents, some gunfights in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

As long as they bring along Don Frye.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Stuff like the Bio Major vs Saradia agent fight is cool. Fans just being dumb because they want a stick to beat movies they don't like with.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I like this idea. There's a considerable lack of interesting human action in King of the Monsters. The beginning to Antarctica, before King Ghidorah is awakened, has the most interesting work done to it. Everywhere else is people standing around in rooms, piloting vehicles, talking on monitors. There's a lot of movement from one place to the other, but no amount of actual exploration of said places. It really gives the sense that the movie was filmed in one place besides Mexico.

Anyway, Godzilla vs. Biollante had pretty neat scenes with human characters. The very beginning of the film is full of action. Mothra vs. Godzilla had a quick fight scene in it, as Godzilla slowly and menacingly walked towards them. That shot is great.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The Showa and early Heisei era actually did this really well. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla stands out to me as the best example, where the fights are well-choreographed, nicely shot, and brutal as hell. It’s a great way to bring the drama to a head as both monsters and humans fight opponents in their respective worlds, so to speak. I’m particularly fond of this dynamic because while the humans have a full understanding of what’s going on, the kaiju are operating on a limited field of knowledge but with the same goals in mind. It’s just a great and natural way to bring their objectives together.
Last edited by LockBite on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:As long as they bring along Don Frye.
If you bring in this guy, go ahead and give him the focus. His screentime is equal to Kaiju screentime.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Absolutely not. Several of my favorite kaiju films feature a decent amount of human vs. human(oid) action. GTTHM, vs. Biollante, vs. King Ghidorah, and others. All I care is that it's decently executed, and that it doesn't overshadow the monsters. GFW was of course the textbook failure in that regard. I don't mind if a film is heavy on human action, or if it gets more screentime than the monsters, even- but it shouldn't dominate the movie to such an extent that in a big-budget 50th anniversary remake of DAM, thirteen monsters are relegated to twelve minutes. The monsters need to get their due.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I loved the idea of martial arts in Final Wars, sadly most of it is terribly executed. Sad when you consider Kitamura usually has pretty good fights in his movies.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I loved the idea of martial arts in Final Wars, sadly most of it is terribly executed. Sad when you consider Kitamura usually has pretty good fights in his movies.
Don Frye nailed every single scene he was in though. Bring him back as I dunno, the retired former leader of Monarch's G-Team before Diane Foster who gets out of retirement to kick some butt or maybe the captain of the newly built Monarch Gotengo or something, and the awesomeness level will go off the charts. (Also keep his name as Douglas Gordon or at least keep the Gordon. If we get Serizawa, we should get Gordon.)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I prefer a split battle where the humans are busy doing something while the kaiju battle it out, instead of just watching and commenting. Focusing on two locations is ideal, anything more like 3 or 4 can cause issues with too much skipping between and keeping track of what is happening.

I am not a fan of the human characters just watching the battle, and all that happens is they cut to them reacting to the battle. While the characters don't have to be doing anything to aid the battle, they should be involved in something. When they aid the battle that is usually ideal, things like attacking bad guys who are controlling the kaiju, or trying to active something that will aid in the battle. Although when this is done fans will comment that Godzilla isn't powerful enough cause he needed human help. But I think it makes for a more enjoyable climax.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

As long as it works in the context of the film, and doesn't distract. I don't need another GFW, where it was an action movie featuring snippets of Godzilla.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I just also thought about Kong: Skull Island's opening before the opening credits. It's not exactly the same thing, but it definitely catches my attention before the rest of the movie begins.

Also, while Skull Island doesn't have a lot of human vs. human action, it has a decent amount of human action and exploration while simultaneously showing and explaining the inhabitants of the island. All of this in combination makes for a relatively entertaining movie with decent pacing.

Final Wars just has human, or should I say Mutant, fight scenes across the film with snippets of short monster action and fights scattered throughout. For me, all of it is pretty fun to watch, but maybe because I watched it when I was younger. I still think it's fine, given the style and story of the movie. It's not trying to be any more than it is.

I think it depends upon how the film utilizes such scenes. Is it to add tension, after a disagreement between characters? Does it add to the film? Is it just martial arts because why not, like in Final Wars? There's several different ways to do it, but if it makes sense for the film, it's fine.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I loved the idea of martial arts in Final Wars, sadly most of it is terribly executed. Sad when you consider Kitamura usually has pretty good fights in his movies.
Don Frye nailed every single scene he was in though. Bring him back as I dunno, the retired former leader of Monarch's G-Team before Diane Foster who gets out of retirement to kick some butt or maybe the captain of the newly built Monarch Gotengo or something, and the awesomeness level will go off the charts. (Also keep his name as Douglas Gordon or at least keep the Gordon. If we get Serizawa, we should get Gordon.)
Hey I liked Don Frye since his character had personality. Not the best acted granted but I liked him waaaaay more than boring ass Ozaki.

Oh y'know what action scene I love in Final Wars? The Mutants vs. Ebirah. Now THAT was freaking fun!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There wasn't much physical human action in KSI but there was at least a mental/ideological "battle" in the film. Its better than nothing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983