Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla King of The Monsters: Critic Review Thread

Post by Smuggers »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
ouch
You are one trolling S.O.B. -_-
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Nerd1978 wrote:https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/godz ... sters-2019

Probably the most famous review site, and about the best review so far
Without a doubt. I suggest everyone give it a good read.
“Godzilla: King of the Monsters” has a sense of wonder. After I left the screening late at night and emerged onto a dark city street at nearly one a.m., I wanted to look up rather than straight ahead, just in case Ghidorah the three-headed dragon or Rodan the giant pterodactyl came screaming down from the clouds. That's not the same thing as saying this is a perfect movie. It's far from that. But its errors fall mainly under the heading of failing to get out of its own way, and its imperfections are compensated by magnificence.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Leonard Maltin, who enjoyed Godzilla '14 and loved Kong: Skull Island, didn't care for G: KOTM:
Two hours wasted: that’s how I feel after watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters. This bloated production starts out as an enjoyably tacky monster movie but doesn’t know when to quit. Every pseudo-scientific explanation (and there are plenty) has a counter-explanation in order to keep the story going…and every apparent climax leads to another climax. There’s even a post-credits scene, as if we needed one. We don’t.

As for the story, suffice it to say that forces have awakened Mothra. When soldiers foolishly fire on it, a two-hour chain reaction is set into motion around the globe that threatens to wipe out humanity. The monsters involved—here called Titans—all happen to be owned by Japan’s Toho movie studio: Godzilla, Ghidorah (also referred to as Monster Zero), Mothra, and Rodan.

Can there be too much of a good thing? I’d submit this film as evidence that the answer is “yes.” By the end of the picture when the monsters are busy battling each other the effect is remote and not scary. A 10-year-old might feel different but I somehow doubt it. The overall effect is numbing.

Along the way there are uninteresting human characters: a scientist (Vera Farmiga) who lost her son to Godzilla and isn’t about to let that happen again, her husband (Kyle Chandler) who’s been exorcizing his grief by leaving the family behind, and their adolescent daughter (Millie Bobby Brown), who is torn between them. There are also a number of eggheads and authority figures played by such estimable actors as Ken Watanabe, Ziyi Zhang, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Thomas Middleditch, Aisha Hinds, O’Shea Jackson, Jr., David Strathairn, and a menacing Charles Dance. Whitford stands out from the crowd because he gets to deliver a steady stream of wisecracks, all of them welcome.

I was never an aficionado of Japanese monster movies, but this overstuffed turkey makes me long for the original imports I saw as a kid. Godzilla (or Gojira, as he was known in his native country) was played by an actor in a rubber suit and the special effects were primitive at best. Yet those films were fun to watch; they had no pretensions and were mercifully short. Gone are the days…

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

EDIT: My bad! I thought this was the general discussion thread. :oops:
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

H-Man wrote:Leonard Maltin, who enjoyed Godzilla '14 and loved Kong: Skull Island, didn't care for G: KOTM:
Two hours wasted: that’s how I feel after watching Godzilla: King of the Monsters. This bloated production starts out as an enjoyably tacky monster movie but doesn’t know when to quit. Every pseudo-scientific explanation (and there are plenty) has a counter-explanation in order to keep the story going…and every apparent climax leads to another climax. There’s even a post-credits scene, as if we needed one. We don’t.

As for the story, suffice it to say that forces have awakened Mothra. When soldiers foolishly fire on it, a two-hour chain reaction is set into motion around the globe that threatens to wipe out humanity. The monsters involved—here called Titans—all happen to be owned by Japan’s Toho movie studio: Godzilla, Ghidorah (also referred to as Monster Zero), Mothra, and Rodan.

Can there be too much of a good thing? I’d submit this film as evidence that the answer is “yes.” By the end of the picture when the monsters are busy battling each other the effect is remote and not scary. A 10-year-old might feel different but I somehow doubt it. The overall effect is numbing.

Along the way there are uninteresting human characters: a scientist (Vera Farmiga) who lost her son to Godzilla and isn’t about to let that happen again, her husband (Kyle Chandler) who’s been exorcizing his grief by leaving the family behind, and their adolescent daughter (Millie Bobby Brown), who is torn between them. There are also a number of eggheads and authority figures played by such estimable actors as Ken Watanabe, Ziyi Zhang, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Thomas Middleditch, Aisha Hinds, O’Shea Jackson, Jr., David Strathairn, and a menacing Charles Dance. Whitford stands out from the crowd because he gets to deliver a steady stream of wisecracks, all of them welcome.

I was never an aficionado of Japanese monster movies, but this overstuffed turkey makes me long for the original imports I saw as a kid. Godzilla (or Gojira, as he was known in his native country) was played by an actor in a rubber suit and the special effects were primitive at best. Yet those films were fun to watch; they had no pretensions and were mercifully short. Gone are the days…
Well... he also gave Godzilla 1985 a lower score than Godzilla's Revenge. Make of that what you will
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
H-Man wrote:Leonard Maltin, who enjoyed Godzilla '14 and loved Kong: Skull Island, didn't care for G: KOTM:

Well... he also gave Godzilla 1985 a lower score than Godzilla's Revenge. Make of that what you will
He also gave Laserblast 2 and a half stars

(skip to 11:45)
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

GojiDog wrote:
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:
He also gave Laserblast 2 and a half stars

(skip to 11:45)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ijHd6qtrE
I remember that episode lol

Yeah, I stopped trusting him after I became a Mistie/Rifftrax fanboy
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.