King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: King of the Monsters Member Review Thread (No Spoilers)

Post by BlankAccount »

G2000 wrote:I saw the movie last Thursday, and I would have posted my thoughts on it earlier were it not for Maritonic being a humorless tool.
Or sometimes it's hard to read tone in text? Maritonic and I don't always get along, but the days leading up to the movie, and after had a lot of people acting like: Bullies, attention whores, trolls, etc. I honestly don't blame the guy for just being like "F it, everyone is spamming, I'll sort it out later" when you have normal friendly jokes/spam sprinkled in with the malicious douchyness as multiple topics were getting like 10 posts in 3 minutes or less all day.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Maritonic seems to be the only mod actually doing anything here. And I don't usually have a good relationship with the mods but he's good in my book. If you don't like him you can piss off
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Godzilla21 wrote:Maritonic seems to be the only mod actually doing anything here. And I don't usually have a good relationship with the mods but he's good in my book. If you don't like him you can piss off
Probably because he sh!ts on every little thing that the actual qualified mods don’t deem necessary.

For example, he shut down a cringe discussion in the cringe thread. What? It wasn’t devolving into name calling, it was just an on-topic discussion relating to the post at hand.
Another example, The silly quips in the speculation thread when news was slow. When everyone in the thread is in on the joke, it’s clear nobody is causing problems with little quips, especially when there’s nothing to actually discuss.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

What's fascinating is no one ever attempts to PM and have a conversation to try to figure out the other side of this. But that's fine.

You guys want 10 pages of "endless quips"? Cool. When I wake up to the e-mails and reports for spam, I'll just PM you guys and ask how you would handle it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:Maritonic seems to be the only mod actually doing anything here. And I don't usually have a good relationship with the mods but he's good in my book. If you don't like him you can piss off
Probably because he sh!ts on every little thing that the actual qualified mods don’t deem necessary.

For example, he shut down a cringe discussion in the cringe thread. What? It wasn’t devolving into name calling, it was just an on-topic discussion relating to the post at hand.
Another example, The silly quips in the speculation thread when news was slow. When everyone in the thread is in on the joke, it’s clear nobody is causing problems with little quips, especially when there’s nothing to actually discuss.
Bullshit....... just like G21 I don't care for these mods but what I've seen from Maritonic is he gives like 5 verbal warnings before anything else. I get a warning from Gira after a fucking day passed in a thread after the thing was over and done with and he saw my post and gave me a warning. I get into it with another because of my Celery pics.......... point being that he is the only one I can respect. He gives people plenty of verbals before an actual warning and I like that rather than come in and BAM warning like some. So yeah, its cool when someone else gets a warning but when its some of y'all you cry about it.

I'll back Maritonic just this once.
Last edited by goji89 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I don't mean to derail this discussion further, but as an admin of another forum, I haven't seen issues with Maritonic's decisions and actions as a mod. TK is quite possibly the largest community within the kaiju fandom, and people will report posts for various reasons. I think the main issue may very well be understaffing compared to the active user-base.

In an effort to stay on topic, my initial reaction of KotM was a bit soiled. I didn't have the best audience surrounding me, and while it wasn't outright abysmal, it was enough to lessen my enjoyment of the film. Having received my sorely-needed tax return as an unemployed person still fighting to get benefits and a job, I'm planning to see it a second time to get a proper reaction and review.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

goji89 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:

Bullshit....... just like G21 I don't care for these mods but what I've seen from Maritonic is he gives like 5 verbal warnings before anything else. I get a warning from Gira after a skreeonking day passed in a thread after the thing was over and done with and he saw my post and gave me a warning. I get into it with another because of my Celery pics.......... point being that he is the only one I can respect. He gives people plenty of verbals before an actual warning and I like that rather than come in and BAM warning like some. So yeah, its cool when someone else gets a warning but when its some of y'all you cry about it.

I'll back Maritonic just this once.
Deleted. No need to derail this thread further. Apologies.
Last edited by GoWhaleTours on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

You guys'll get a warning if you keep this up!
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Isn't pretty much everyone finished posting their reviews already? Thread seems to have done its job.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Darth Kiryu wrote:I don't mean to derail this discussion further, but as an admin of another forum, I haven't seen issues with Maritonic's decisions and actions as a mod. TK is quite possibly the largest community within the kaiju fandom, and people will report posts for various reasons. I think the main issue may very well be understaffing compared to the active user-base.
I second all of this. There seems to be almost no staff here. Maritonic is the only one keeping order amongst all you vagrants. And I've seen the guy give like 15 verbal warnings before he actually hands you a real one. You guys obviously do not remember some of the trigger happy mods of old
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

GoWhaleTours wrote: Deleted. No need to derail this thread further. Apologies.
Yeah, I saw it. But yeah no need to derail things more.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The fuck did I miss
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

gottatalktothefake wrote:The fuck did I miss
Frankly, I don't want to know... :freak:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I thought it was awful. This one offers nothing for me that I haven’t already seen in a previous Godzilla movie. There wasn’t enough monster stuff and what was there wasn’t good enough to overcome the movie’s other glaring flaws. It’s incredible that a script this bad was allowed to go before the cameras.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Personally, I thought it was awesome. It was pretty much a post-DAM Showa film with a bigger budget. Was the script bad? It had a few clunkers of lines. Was it stupid? Sometimes, yes. But so was some of the other films like Megalon and Gigan. I felt that the positives of the film overweighted the negatives. The effects for the monsters were absolutly amazing. Right up there with Gamera: Revenge Of Iris. I thought the acting, especially from Ken Watanabe, was pretty good. The score was (as expected) amazing. No matter what your opinion of the film may be, you have to agree that the score was the best part of the movie.

All in all, it was everything I was hoping for when it was first annouced. Now bring on Godzilla vs. Kong! (just please don't mess it up with the reshoots Legendary)

11/10
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Personally, I thought it was awesome. It was pretty much a post-DAM Showa film with a bigger budget. Was the script bad? It had a few clunkers of lines. Was it stupid? Sometimes, yes. But so was some of the other films like Megalon and Gigan. I felt that the positives of the film overweighted the negatives. The effects for the monsters were absolutly amazing. Right up there with Gamera: Revenge Of Iris. I thought the acting, especially from Ken Watanabe, was pretty good. The score was (as expected) amazing. No matter what your opinion of the film may be, you have to agree that the score was the best part of the movie.

All in all, it was everything I was hoping for when it was first annouced. Now bring on Godzilla vs. Kong! (just please don't mess it up with the reshoots Legendary)

11/10
Yes! I agree 100%, glad to see people continuing to show love and support for this film.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

Terasawa wrote:I thought it was awful. This one offers nothing for me that I haven’t already seen in a previous Godzilla movie. There wasn’t enough monster stuff and what was there wasn’t good enough to overcome the movie’s other glaring flaws. It’s incredible that a script this bad was allowed to go before the cameras.
MikeSTZillak wrote:Personally, I thought it was awesome. It was pretty much a post-DAM Showa film with a bigger budget. Was the script bad? It had a few clunkers of lines. Was it stupid? Sometimes, yes. But so was some of the other films like Megalon and Gigan. I felt that the positives of the film overweighted the negatives. The effects for the monsters were absolutly amazing. Right up there with Gamera: Revenge Of Iris. I thought the acting, especially from Ken Watanabe, was pretty good. The score was (as expected) amazing. No matter what your opinion of the film may be, you have to agree that the score was the best part of the movie.

11/10
I think this pretty well sums up what we see with the critic/audience split as the film had some major issues even though it also had some nice monster action.

Plainly speaking, it makes some pretty weird and wholly disconnected decisions with the story and despite monsters being shown on more regular intervals, there really wasn't that much substantial shown in a lot of instances and similar to 2014, we often cut away from monster battles just when they get started. Rodan's fight with the jet squadron was great and we got to see him in all of his glory but as soon as he comes up against King Ghidorah we cut away and really only see about 15 or so seconds (chopped into two or three scenes) of it. Same with Rodan v Mothra, same with many parts of Godzilla v King Ghidorah. Actually seeing more of the monsters do their thing would've done well to cover up a lot of the other issues with the film such as the script, generally terrible humor, and just plain weird overall messages with how we need to "live" with these giant monsters somehow.

But on the other hand, all of the classic monsters looked incredible. Ghidorah's heads having personalities was an excellent idea and in general, monster characterization was played very well. The human characters were generally better than the first film and had more of a reason to be there.

That said, one of my main concerns, is that the wrong lessons will be learned from this and that things will be worse for it. That critics shouldn't be listened to (because the film did have major issues) or that the audience doesn't know what they want (the movie was just an OK film---nothing great but not the worst thing ever seen). In fact, a deeper issue may be that some of the criticism that I've seen from the "film critics" seem to be made from a typical, disdainful approach to these types of films in general while on the flip side a lot of the praise I've seen for the film sometimes emphasize things that were either not actually there or barely in the film (the aforementioned tendency for monster on monster action to still be cut away from instead of shown in full).

Honestly, I'm not that hopeful for Kong but.....I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m gonna contest the claim the score was the best part because, outside of the reorchestrations of Ifukube/Koseki compositions, I can’t recall a single piece of music that didn’t just sound like generic action media music. If those familiar cues weren’t here would anyone even be talking about the score?

This movie was just more Hollywood excess and that’s why I hated it. It didn’t particularly feel like a classic Godzilla movie to me, more like someone’s attempt to take elements of the old Godzilla movies and force them into the modern blockbuster template. In that regard it’s a lot like Final Wars.

If people like that, cool, but it’s nothing I have any interest in. Give Godzilla back to the Japanese.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I didn't notice the score, outside of the Ifukube tracks, of course. But those felt forced and out of place to me, unfortunately. I'll have to actually pay attention to the music on my next viewing, now that I won't be as laser focused on the visuals.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "forced," they seemed to fit pretty naturally into the film in my opinion.

I can understand the feelings about the score not being that notable outside of the Ikufube and Koseki reorchestrations, but there were some moments I did quite enjoy; Rodan and Ghidorah's new themes, as well as "Goodbye Old Friend."
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST